CPL Division II - Pro/Rel discussion

Has to be consideration for challenging financial times too.

Ideally for me at least, fill in the pyramid with a Prairie L1 and the other holes so there are league ones across the board. Then in a year or two those clubs wanting to push higher can so league II. There is no need to rush this. Grow with the clubs rather than trying to go top down.

I know there are likely a few clubs that want to push higher than div 2 but there has to be a system to support growth of a div 2. Just stripping d3 of a bunch of clubs doesnt make sense to me right now, unless there are a bunch of new clubs ready to replace them.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So apparently it was discussed at the Edmonton Scottish AGM today that a new, sanctioned Division 2 league will begin play next year with 8 teams in the West and 8 teams in the East. Scottish and F

My AB source tells me a official press release for Div 2 is in store this week... as early as this Friday.  Can confirm that TSS and Highlanders are out.  All the money they have is tied up in some mu

I find this thread is beyond over zealous... CPL D2, Promotion/Relegation...... Can we get to 10 teams first? 

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

It is likely also being designated a Div II to help attract more investors with capital to set up the league. I doubt these teams are a step above Oakville Blue Devils or Vaughan Azzurri in quality on the field any time soon.

That's been my impression as well. I get that it's important to drum up interest an whatnot, but I'd much rather see it presented as a polished product with investors lined up rather than a publicity campaign to try to convince people that they should spend money on this. 

Also, for what it's worth, I don't much like the idea of this being a separate operation from the CPL. The Canadian soccer landscape is fragmented enough as it is. I'd much rather see either the CPL create a Div II in 5-10 years, or see the Div III leagues come together to split their teams between Div III and Div II in a pro/rel system down the road. 

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

It is likely also being designated a Div II to help attract more investors with capital to set up the league. I doubt these teams are a step above Oakville Blue Devils or Vaughan Azzurri in quality on the field any time soon.

Do you know for a fact that it wouldn't be the Blue Devils and Azzurri participating in this?

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Is there a D4 under CSA sanctioning? Think that's only a USSF thing. Don't think the Calgary Foothills can sensibly be termed "amateur hour" after winning USL League Two in 2018 and arguably forming the basis of Cavalry FC in the process.

The USSF doesn't have a D4 either, only 1,2,3. Everyone calls USL League Two as D4, but it's technically not ranked as that, totally unofficial. 

• 4 weeks later...