CPL/L1C - Division II - Pro/Rel discussion

Ansem

Future Division 2  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How should the second tier be established?

• League 1 Canada becomes the 2nd Tier with the best clubs from Provincial league 1s joining it?
    • Creating a brand new league (Championship) at that Tier between CPL and League 1 Canada?
    • We don't need a 2nd division
  2. 2. Should CPL clubs ever face relegation?

• Yes
    • No

On 4/18/2020 at 8:56 PM, Watchmen said:

In an interesting move, Liga MX has decided to halt promotion-relegation for 5 years.  The pandemic is the primary reason given, but it definitely seems like finances are the real reason with most 2nd division clubs failing to meet the standards of the top tier and not being promoted up as it is.  Clubs in the 2nd division will each be paid about US $845k a year, and there's going to be a focus on youth player development at that level.

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/liga-mx-suspends-promotion-relegation-for-five-years/

I wonder if other leagues will take this time to consider doing the same thing.  And I guess what I'm also saying is that if Mexico can't make a 2nd division work, I don't think Canada could either.

Does this say more about a a second division not being viable or that promotion/relegation is not viable? When you have a number of clubs that are on completely different financial level here things like this will come up. Those are two distinct items we are discussing here. I am of the believe neither of these have a place in Canada at this point. The CPL really has to see growth in my eyes for some sort of second tier maybe becomes viable. I am not sold it ever does. Take a look at this list of the Big City Mayors Caucus, it will give you an idea of 22 areas the CPL can target, which I am sure they already have. 

https://fcm.ca/en/about-fcm/big-city-mayors-caucus

People may still say CPL2 with promotion/relegation is a pipe dream but the I LOVE that the existence of the CPL puts that dream within the realm of possibility.  If it happens it will be because of the success and growth of the CPL.  If the CPL grows to where match days are averaging the 10k+ and there are still a number of interested investors/markets CPL2 could happen.  As attendance/revenue would increase so would the quality on the pitch and that would open the need that the current version of the CPL currently fills. 

I think that the the current standards that teams are to maintain (stadium, payroll etc) will be the basis for D2 clubs.  Holding this standard before the current CPL grows out of reach would be enticing to owners and fans of D2 clubs once they are on the pitch.  It would allow promoted teams to be competitive once they are in the CPL.

The doom and gloom around is everywhere these days, by the time I start thinking of the future of CPL & CPL2 I have nothing but positivity left! 

• 1 month later...
Because of problems with new League 1 Ontario teams in previous years, L1O put in a rule that a team could enter a team in either their MEN's division or WOMEN's division in their first year.
1812 has made a statement of having a team in both. OK Which league will they enter first? or have they received an exemption to start both?

https://www.simcoe.com/news-story/10022670-the-beautiful-game-set-to-grow-in-barrie-group-heading-toward-professional-soccer-franchise-goal/  

Article says the club will play at J Massie Field at Georgian College.  I looked it over from Google Earth.  It does have a lot of seats for L1O.  Artificial turf with gridiron lines is also not unusual for L1O.  

On 6/14/2020 at 7:19 PM, Rocket Robin said:
Because of problems with new League 1 Ontario teams in previous years, L1O put in a rule that a team could enter a team in either their MEN's division or WOMEN's division in their first year.
1812 has made a statement of having a team in both. OK Which league will they enter first? or have they received an exemption to start both?

Depends which side is more prepared for entrance into L1O. All things being equal I would go with the men's side since starting them strong is an important piece for getting lined up for the CPL

• 2 months later...

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/npl-clubs-form-25-team-second-division-group-552425

Quote from article:

Could there be a second-tier competition, with 10 or 12 teams that play 20-odd rounds home and away or do we look at a second-tier competition with conferences based in different states around the country that play half the season at state level and then end up playing at national level in a group stage, similar to how the Brazilian league operates,” Johnson recently told News Corp.

“There’s two parts to the season that starts at state level, then a qualification process that goes into a national level of competition.

“This is something we could look at because someone of our challenges in Australia are similar to Brazil – where you have competition that are strong at state level and you have a very big country geographically, so their solution was to use this sort of format.”

Same for Canada.

Just a thought.

If this Australian model is being considered for Canada, then I think what might be best is to have separated regional leagues, say: BC, Prairies, Ontario, and Quebec/Maritimes. Have the regions play out their seasons and be finished by mid-August. Then have the top 2 teams from each region play a single-game round robin against each other (7 games total and finishing mid-October) to simulate the financial realities of what an entire season of CPL play would be like. The top two teams from that competition would meet in a championship home-and-away set of matches with the winner being considered the Canadian Regional Champion with a trophy and all. This competition could later be used to provide a candidate for promotion if they ever institute pro-rel with the CPL.

If that is too onerous for some clubs, then just have 4 regional champions play 6 home-and-away matches to determine the Canadian Regional champion. Regardless of the method used, the entire season would have to be done before Halloween if they don't want games to be snowed out.

6 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/npl-clubs-form-25-team-second-division-group-552425

Quote from article:

Could there be a second-tier competition, with 10 or 12 teams that play 20-odd rounds home and away or do we look at a second-tier competition with conferences based in different states around the country that play half the season at state level and then end up playing at national level in a group stage, similar to how the Brazilian league operates,” Johnson recently told News Corp.

“There’s two parts to the season that starts at state level, then a qualification process that goes into a national level of competition.

“This is something we could look at because someone of our challenges in Australia are similar to Brazil – where you have competition that are strong at state level and you have a very big country geographically, so their solution was to use this sort of format.”

Same for Canada.

Just a thought.

the State League model in Brazilian is very interesting. Outsiders hate on it but very traditional and considered a big accomplishment domestically. I like the concept but the competition model is a little convoluted. It could potentially work here because the stated size and distance between regions

Edited by SpursFlu

19 hours ago, Initial B said:

If this Australian model is being considered for Canada, then I think what might be best is to have separated regional leagues, say: BC, Prairies, Ontario, and Quebec/Maritimes. Have the regions play out their seasons and be finished by mid-August. Then have the top 2 teams from each region play a single-game round robin against each other (7 games total and finishing mid-October) to simulate the financial realities of what an entire season of CPL play would be like. The top two teams from that competition would meet in a championship home-and-away set of matches with the winner being considered the Canadian Regional Champion with a trophy and all. This competition could later be used to provide a candidate for promotion if they ever institute pro-rel with the CPL.

If that is too onerous for some clubs, then just have 4 regional champions play 6 home-and-away matches to determine the Canadian Regional champion. Regardless of the method used, the entire season would have to be done before Halloween if they don't want games to be snowed out.

I was also looking at this article

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/258898-structuring-cis-for-long-term-growth-step-1-expansion-for-stability

1. Canada could have 6 regional leagues : BC, Prairies, Western Ontario, Eastern Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic

2. Top 2 from each regional league advance to championship.  BC, Prairies, Western Ontario form the Western Bracket and Eastern Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic for the Eastern Bracket.

3. 5 team single round robin match for each bracket

4. Top team from each bracket would meet in an East v. West final.

Just a thought.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:04 AM, Impactsupporter said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/258898-structuring-cis-for-long-term-growth-step-1-expansion-for-stability

1. Canada could have 6 regional leagues : BC, Prairies, Western Ontario, Eastern Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic

2. Top 2 from each regional league advance to championship.  BC, Prairies, Western Ontario form the Western Bracket and Eastern Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic for the Eastern Bracket.

Just a thought.

I'd say change it to BC, Alberta, Prairies (with Thunder Bay), West Ontario, Quebec/East Ontario (with Ottawa, maybe Kingston) and Atlantic. But I like your idea.

Long term for pro/rel regional is the only way to go. The purchase of League 1 I thought was the first step in regional feeder leagues. It still likely is and long term we should see others pop up and get structured across the country if they are serious about pro/relegation.

In the short term and given the success of the island games, the rumored use of the SKSSS as a feeder league or "CPL 2" makes lots of sense. A yearly tournament made up of clubs that want to be in the CPL but need to find their feet structurally, financially, growing and testing a fan base and building a player pool. That will give a relatively safe testing ground for further expansion while giving fans something tangible to attend. While the SKSSS averaged 3k, lots of people werent interested because it was meaningless, in addition to those that just didn't know about it.

On 8/29/2020 at 10:04 AM, Impactsupporter said:

Just a thought.

6 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

I'd say change it to BC, Alberta, Prairies (with Thunder Bay), West Ontario, Quebec/East Ontario (with Ottawa, maybe Kingston) and Atlantic. But I like your idea.

So basically we would have a similar model to the CJAHL & CHL. I think however that the east/west split would have the winner going up into the CPL and the weakest team in the east/west catchment in the CPL (so Valour & HFX from last year) would slip down or have a 1 game playoff.

Interesting scenarios but there's enough clues pointing out to this being where CSB wants to go mid to long term

1-Premier League / ~ 16 clubs / National /

Post 2026 --> I predict "2.0" where salaries and quality gets pushed up leading to the 2029 TV rights renewal. Going "2.0" right after the World Cup and before the new contract makes sense as aiming to become a CONCACAF top 3 or 4 league raise the value of the product, attract more talents and fans while potentially landing them a better TV deal.

By "2.0" I'm also taking into account that MediaPro might land the Canadian rights for MLS which would bring LOTS of new viewers to Onesoccer and the channel they planned to launch. More eyes on CPL leads to more sponsors and revenues for the league and clubs while making it more attractive to investors to get into the league.

By "2.0" - I mean that the league riding the "World Cup high", might try to push the leagues budget closer to what CFL is currently doing - CPL will most likely being unionized by then anyways which will push salaries up regardless.

Lastly, this is where CPL enters the 3 main cities - MLS ownership/CONCACAF forcing it or not. The league will never reach it's full potential without those 3 and right after 2026 is THE perfect time to pull the trigger on these 3. Another reason is that having clubs within those cities is another great way to drive the media rights up in time for the new contract in 2029.

This is also where I could see the league relaxing the Canadian quotas and U21 minutes to position itself as a top CONCACAF league because let's be honest, they are aiming for #3

2-Championship / ~16 clubs / National

Post 2026 --> I predict that CPL operating in it's "current 1.0" level & budget also serves as a way to demonstrate that a national league at this level can work under the CSB model. Where CPL will go "2.0" and pay true pro salaries and more for internationals, Championship can operate under CPL "1.0" current level - under a million with more modest infrastructure for medium size markets (Canadian perspective of course)

I think the 2026 World Cup will create unprecedented "demand" for soccer. Where the world cup was a catalyst in launching MLS and will most likely attract more investors willing to pay a billion (fee + stadium) to get in MLS, CSB will close the Premier League after the inclusion of the 3 main cities and leverage that demands to fills a Division II instead of bloating D1. This would still represent an intriguing opportunity for investors wanting to get into soccer in one of the last untapped market (10th economy) in the world - right after a world cup

I think that a functioning D2 with 2 seasons under it's belt is perfect to include them in the media package for 2029. Then you introduce pro/rel.

Lastly, I think that the Premier League relaxing it's Canadian quotas and U21 minutes goes to Championship so only the best Canadians are ready to go up with the better talents in the top tier.

3-Regional Leagues --> CSB version of the  Memorial Cup

As the article from Quebec was saying, you're looking at regional leagues (Ontario & Quebec merger - eventually including Atlantic), a BC league and most likely a Prairies league with the aim of making it pro but at low budgets.

If they are serious in transitioning from semi-pro to "pro" you might see more of the following happening to clubs to join that structure

ex: Merger of 3 Laval clubs into one Western Laval club  - I could see a bunch of clubs in the GTA doing the same

This would fulfill the CSA plan they had for D3

Champions would play in a Memorial Cup that could win the team promotion

L10 is already included in this round of Media deal, the next one would include the regional league in the bundle

I like the look of Ansem's set-up, but I don't know if they'll have enough room in the Calendar to play a full home-and-away schedule. A 30-week season would have to start the second weekend of April and run through all the FIFA international breaks to finish by the beginning of November. You are just asking for snow games at the beginning and end of the season. There won't be any room for playoffs either. Mid-week fixtures would be occupied by Voyageur Cup and Concacaf League matches. If they still want to do a playoff end-of-season North American style then they are going to have to lower the size of the divisions to 14 teams to fit a 26-game regular season plus 4 weeks of playoffs before the snow comes. Now that I think about it, a 16-team 1st Division without playoffs and a 14-team 2nd Division with playoffs could be entertaining.

Also, I want to clarify - are you expecting the MLS clubs to join CPL or are you talking about completely different new clubs? Whitecaps and Impact might eventually join, but I don't ever see TFC joining unless the CPL Salary Cap increases to north of $20 million. Honestly, I don't see CPL getting any larger than the CFL salary cap, currently around $4.5 million with a lot better TV deal. Even so, CPL would be a higher salary than any other CONCACAF national league save MLS and Liga MX. I'd like to see new clubs in those cities joining CPL, but I just fear they will end up relegated to the second or third division. They might not be financially viable because the MLS clubs will suck up fan season ticket dollars and sponsorships. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic or still suffering from PTSD from previous failed Canadian soccer leagues.

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

A 30-week season would have to start the second weekend of April and run through all the FIFA international breaks to finish by the beginning of November.

Usually, D2 and lower elsewhere plays even during international breaks, so a D2 or D3 shouldn't be affected by FIFA windows.

You are just asking for snow games at the beginning and end of the season.

CPL was suppoesed to start earlier this year and MLS expected Canadian teams to host earlier too, might as well get them use to play in the cold earlier if they hope to be able too in D1 here or elsewhere

There won't be any room for playoffs either. Mid-week fixtures would be occupied by Voyageur Cup and Concacaf League matches. If they still want to do a playoff end-of-season North American style then they are going to have to lower the size of the divisions to 14 teams to fit a 26-game regular season plus 4 weeks of playoffs before the snow comes. Now that I think about it, a 16-team 1st Division without playoffs and a 14-team 2nd Division with playoffs could be entertaining.

Hypothetically, whenever we reach full table, I doubt they do playoff North American style. Premier League could be single table with the CCL as the extension of their season.

Lower tiers pro/rel playoffs would be the playoffs. The way they do it in England where all the spotlight is on Pro/rel playoffs after the Premier League is brilliant and helps gives them their shinning moment. 

I like the "Memorial Cup" formula for D3

Also, I want to clarify - are you expecting the MLS clubs to join CPL or are you talking about completely different new clubs?

I think it will happen but CPL will be in those 3 cities with or without them

Whitecaps and Impact might eventually join, but I don't ever see TFC joining unless the CPL Salary Cap increases to north of $20 million.

Most likely CONCACAF will "Ottawa Fury'ed" them by denying them an extension on their sanction once their exemption expired. 

Honestly, I don't see CPL getting any larger than the CFL salary cap, currently around $4.5 million with a lot better TV deal. 

The 2026 World Cup, with the change in demographics might be the push CPL needs... the kind of boost that made MLS possible in the 1st place.

Salaries being linked with revenues, the league has been doing better than expected on the business side (minus Covid of course) in terms of sponsor deals clubs and league wise. 

Even so, CPL would be a higher salary than any other CONCACAF national league save MLS and Liga MX. I'd like to see new clubs in those cities joining CPL, but I just fear they will end up relegated to the second or third division. They might not be financially viable because the MLS clubs will suck up fan season ticket dollars and sponsorships. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic or still suffering from PTSD from previous failed Canadian soccer leagues.

If they don't want to be relegated, they have to use their resources to avoid that, which pushes standards upwards, which is good for players too.

I'm not worry about MLS, it's temporary in my opinion with the region planning a significant expansion of it's Champions League, cross-border leagues aren't the way to go. CONCACAF feels that there's an opportunity to grown it and increase revenues. That's why UEFA will never allow a super league as the only way to watch those games is via Champions League.

Canadians would look even more forward CCL knowing that 2-3 of our best teams will fight to earn the right to représente the Maple Leaf against MLS and other CONCACAF leagues. 

CPL will be in those 3 cities and it's not a matter of if the 3 MLS teams joins CPL, it's a matter of "what will they do when they are told by CONCACAF" that they can't play in a US league while being based from Canada?

Relocate? Sell & fold? Or Sell and relaunch in CPL? 

12 hours ago, Ansem said:

Hypothetically, whenever we reach full table, I doubt they do playoff North American style. Premier League could be single table with the CCL as the extension of their season.

Lower tiers pro/rel playoffs would be the playoffs. The way they do it in England where all the spotlight is on Pro/rel playoffs after the Premier League is brilliant and helps gives them their shinning moment. 

I like the "Memorial Cup" formula for D3

This is my hope, too. Except that I hope they force the D3 clubs to travel to the different home cities of the clubs than have them in one place. Those clubs will need to show they have the financial backing to cope with the additional operational cost strain of being promoted to D2.

I think it will happen but CPL will be in those 3 cities with or without them

We agree up to here. Maybe in Toronto they could get the Wolfpack Owners to start a team up out of Lamport Stadium to provide an additional revenue stream.

Most likely CONCACAF will "Ottawa Fury'ed" them by denying them an extension on their sanction once their exemption expired. 

I'm not worry about MLS, it's temporary in my opinion with the region planning a significant expansion of it's Champions League, cross-border leagues aren't the way to go. CONCACAF feels that there's an opportunity to grown it and increase revenues. That's why UEFA will never allow a super league as the only way to watch those games is via Champions League.

CPL will be in those 3 cities and it's not a matter of if the 3 MLS teams joins CPL, it's a matter of "what will they do when they are told by CONCACAF" that they can't play in a US league while being based from Canada?

Relocate? Sell & fold? Or Sell and relaunch in CPL? 

And we always seem to disagree on this point. 😜

Teams can be forced into another league, but there has to be a comparable league to go into. The Fury had the CPL as an option, which was comparable to USLC. As much as we may not like it, CPL is never going to have the same level of operational and salary costs as MLS. They can also argue that there is precedent with Swansea and Cardiff in the EFL Championship instead of the Welsh 1st Division. There is also Wellington Phoenix in the A-League and Monaco in Ligue 1.

TFC has the additional wrinkle that their owners use the club to generate additional media content for their business. They could argue that the request would create undo hardship on their company. I don't see the Whitecaps or Impact as having that much ownership ambition and I think they might consider moving to the CPL at some point. TFC would probably only ever consider it if they were under another company than MLSE and the Bell/Rogers consortium.

Edited by Initial B

Aye. TFC for example would likely win an appeal just based off playing standard. So unless the standard AND financial level gets to a stage of being comparable the MLS clubs will likely stay put. That is fine. In fact best case scenario for the growth of Canadian soccer. We are getting the best of both worlds and having our cake and eating it right now. 

The fantasy is taking the 3 MLS clubs as they are and placing them into the CPL. If that happened the CPL would start looking like a much better alternative to the MLS. It simple couldn't happen like that though and the 3 MLS clubs in reality would be an empty husk of their former selves and probably with new names, greatly watered down rosters and likely losing the academy systems.

We have Canadians getting time facing a higher level of opponents, training in better environments and the benefits of the academy systems. What will be an interesting development will be how the rumored MLS u23 league will affect the CPL. Either way more opportunities for young Canadians to get pro minutes somewhere.

Canadian clubs staying in the MLS for the mid to long term is what is best for Canadian soccer, not neccesarioy best for the CPL but best for Canadian Soccer. 

If it comes down to any enforced protocol from the CSA, I would rather a higher designated mandate on Canadians getting minutes for Canadian MLS clubs than moving the teams into the CPL. Given that is the MLS and not CSA in authority I don't see that happening but it is a hopeful thought! 

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

This is my hope, too. Except that I hope they force the D3 clubs to travel to the different home cities of the clubs than have them in one place. Those clubs will need to show they have the financial backing to cope with the additional operational cost strain of being promoted to D2.

I believe in a "Canadian" solution and using a formula that works is the best in my opinion

My preferred end of season schedule "Long term"

Premier League

1-Removing CPL Finals = end of season would be right before FIFA Window (2019 was Oct 7 - Oct 15)

(CPL regular season 2020 was suppose to run from April 11 to October 4)

I think another BC team could help get CPL season started earlier than April 11 to stretch it out a bit better

2- Champion is crowned and the last day is kept interesting with the CCL/CL berths and Relegation zone ranking

Championship Playoffs

1-Promotion Playoffs = During the October FIFA Window (2019 was Oct 7 - Oct 15)

D3 Memorial Cup

1-Reminder/ U Sports plays their championship tournament in November in Montréal last year. People went to the stadium despite the cold. Not ideal but if they can't do it at that level, they won't be able too in MLS who sometimes also play in frigid temperature

2-Reminder #2 -->From the Soccer Québec article, the goal is to move from semi-pro D3 to pro D3. So I'm expecting longer seasons which makes sense just like the CHL.

That being said, I'd run that tounament (East-Prairies-West champions + host) from after the Championship promotion playoffs to end of October.

*Financial concerns = Since CSB is to absorb the D3 leagues and own D2, you're more likely to attract more serious investors because obviously, the semi-pro set up would be pushed down to D4 provincial leagues.

This means that prospective D2 & D3 would be also buying into CSB which fundamentally changes the profil of owners at the top 3 levels. We have to start divorcing the idea of CSB keeping things the way they are today once they are in control.

We agree up to here. Maybe in Toronto they could get the Wolfpack Owners to start a team up out of Lamport Stadium to provide an additional revenue stream.

The 3 cities are much more likely to attract higher profile of ownership just thinking of mega clubs wanting to own in other leagues. Also, Canada being the last industrialized country where the pyramid is accessible is huge for prospective investors wanting to get into soccer ownership. 

Downsview Park makes more sense to me. Lamport just isn't right. 

Teams can be forced into another league, but there has to be a comparable league to go into. The Fury had the CPL as an option, which was comparable to USLC. As much as we may not like it, CPL is never going to have the same level of operational and salary costs as MLS.

They can't be forced into another league but changes of circumstances can force their hands.

There's nothing in FIFA Statute talking about leagues needing to be "comparable" as a reason to not endorce the rule. You're talking "forced parity" which is the exception in the FIFA world, not the norm. 

There was a point where PSG had a payroll bigger than the bottom Ligue 1 combined! Most leaguea have "top 4-5 and then the rest". 

CPL doesn't need to be at the same level as MLS, they need to meet FIFA norms that makes them a true D1, which they do. 

You're misunderstanding Statute 73. It isn't about MLS being comparable to CPL, it's about not allowing clubs to play in another country if it already have a D1, which we now do - hence their exemption becomes invalid once they are up for renewal 

They can also argue that there is precedent with Swansea and Cardiff in the EFL Championship instead of the Welsh 1st Division. There is also Wellington Phoenix in the A-League and Monaco in Ligue 1.

Im not sure if Monaco has a D1 league but they fit the exemption allowing them to play in France. CPL exist, so we can't compare

The Wales clubs have been in EFL for close or over a century, while Wales started their league only in 1991 -they also fit the exemption based on that. Our clubs have been in MLS from between 12 years and 7 years at the launch of CPL, hardly comparable 

Wellington being in A-League is trickier but a huge loophole is the A-League being in AFC while the NZ league being in OFC. Not applicable to us.

TFC has the additional wrinkle that their owners use the club to generate additional media content for their business. They could argue that the request would create undo hardship on their company. I don't see the Whitecaps or Impact as having that much ownership ambition and I think they might consider moving to the CPL at some point. TFC would probably only ever consider it if they were under another company than MLSE and the Bell/Rogers consortium.

There's no "hardship" arguments. MLSE always knew that sanctioning was conditional at FIFA discretion knowing all the rules including Statute 73 and they still agreed to abide by FIFA rules.

Understandably, MLS and the 3 clubs never thought that the CSA would go ahead with a D1 league...I don't blame them but there's absolutely no recourse.

Statute 73 is what's being used to prevent a Super League in UEFA. Why would FIFA ever make an exception for 3 Canadian clubs when they won't even listen to the likes of Bayern, Barca, Madrid, Juventus, Chelsea or Manchester? In The FIFA hierarchy, we're aren't on that level so I'm expecting them to fully enforce it.

The good news is that CPL created a precedent when they were willing to let Ottawa Fury operates at their financial level back then. If there was ever some kind of negotiations, CPL would be insane to not offer the MLS clubs the same if they were willing to join willingly - the added value to the league makes it more than worth it to allow it which would also allow other clubs to level up organically and narrow the gap over time

Edited by Ansem

• Ansem changed the title to CPL/L1C - Division II - Pro/Rel discussion