General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

A note for Milan Borjan:

Hopefully you could learn something from Neuer's reaction after Alaba's OG yesterday. Smile, comfort, no blame.

On the road to Qatar, we might have a second Godinho at some point, but please don't be a factor leading to his second fatal mistake.

Thank you Milan.

Edited by lamptern

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Anyone else like Awuah as a possible LB option for Canada? Him or Tissot honestly, although it looks like Bobby like Tissot as a winger.

atm Bassong and Miller aren't playing so I think the spot is opening up, if Davies is kept up top.

I think Sam Adekugbe is woefully overlooked for this position.  He'd do just fine. 

53 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I think Sam Adekugbe is woefully overlooked for this position.  He'd do just fine. 

I’m going to think Vince forgot about him?....I always have him down as the starting LB - he’s not the best, but the best we got and he’s getting better. 

However Kwame has definitely been one of the best LBs in the CPL...it’s just tough times as we don’t have much time to experiment with this kind of player.

Edited by Shway

Just now, damaaster said:

I absolutely love that there is legit debate on twitter/forums about if Davies is the best LB in the world....and here we are talking about who we should put in at LB..haha

Love it.

The fact of the matter is that if you want to see more of Davies undressing Semedo like he did on Friday, it is much more likely that he will get chances to do that from a LW position than from a LB position with Canada.

6 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

The fact of the matter is that if you want to see more of Davies undressing Semedo like he did on Friday, it is much more likely that he will get chances to do that from a LW position than from a LB position with Canada.

Not necessarily.  I always viewed the LB’s and RB’s as rovers.   I always believed, like you, that he should be utilized more as LW.  But seeing what he was able to do as LB, i changed my mind.   

also,  his pace in tracking back to defend is also extremely valuable.

i think.s either way.

Edited by Free kick

33 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Not necessarily.  I always viewed the LB’s and RB’s as rovers.   I always believed, like you, that he should be utilized more as LW.  But seeing what he was able to do as LB, ichnaged my mind.   Those two games aagunst the US also contributed to chnage in views.

also,  his pace in tracking back to defend is also extremely valuable.

So, seeing what he can do with a world class defender like Alaba beside him (and more-than-capable Boateng beside them), playing on a team that usually averages around 58 to 60% possession has changed your mind as to where he should play with Canada?

35 minutes ago, damaaster said:

Personally I'd like to see him on the wing against the minnows, and back at LB against the top competition

What's top competition? Concacaf speaking - USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica?  
If thats the case I think you should compare the two games against the US for example of how he's better further up then playing defensively against top competition. 

He has wayyy to much ground to consistently cover, and like @El Hombre mentioned, it's different when his team is holding majority of the possession. Canada is not there yet against top competition. 

So ultimately we have our best attacker defending more than he is attacking. And when he is attacking, he's coming from a deep LB position, and the potential for him to leave holes behind with shaky center backs is much greater - as we saw in the second game. 

1 hour ago, damaaster said:

Personally I'd like to see him on the wing against the minnows, and back at LB against the top competition

I'd have the opposite. At the back against minnows because he can come forward a lot and help in the attack. Against top teams have him as a wing because the defence will likely be more pinned back and not able to attack.

Ironically, playing Davies as an attacker  will help us defensively. With his warp speed and ability to dribble past defenders our opponents will need to keep a mid back to help out. Now add David to the mix...this is exactly what happened at BMO vs USA. If he plays on the wing there's no reason he cannot track back and help our defenders. We know he is our best LB..no argument, but where can he be most effective for Canada? I think it is up front

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

So, seeing what he can do with a world class defender like Alaba beside him (and more-than-capable Boateng beside them), playing on a team that usually averages around 58 to 60% possession has changed your mind as to where he should play with Canada?

I dont think we loose as much as some people think (on the attacking end) if he plays LB.   LB’s can and should be pushing forward.  I can be convinced otherwise but I always thought that LB have more space to cover and thats where he can be best utilized.

edit: in short, i would Like to see him playing where he can touch the ball most often.  I think that can be achieved at LB.

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Ironically, playing Davies as an attacker  will help us defensively. With his warp speed and ability to dribble past defenders our opponents will need to keep a mid back to help out. Now add David to the mix...this is exactly what happened at BMO vs USA. If he plays on the wing there's no reason he cannot track back and help our defenders. We know he is our best LB..no argument, but where can he be most effective for Canada? I think it is up front

Lots of variables like who we are playing, which players are available and who is on form. It's just good to have options!

It is all immaterial if he can't solve our CB problems. ;)