General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah I want to see some fresh faces against the minnows too. At the same time we cannot mess around. There is no margin for error, it is first place or out. That said, we might not even get all the players we want and if not the guys further down the list may get a chance. Guys like Chapman, Borges, Byrm, Bair, Okello, etc...maybe even some CPLers...Didic, Zator, maybe someone like Bustos, Boaki or Aleman play their way on the team? Petrasso or Aird? I like Abzi too. A lot of options in the Canadian Premier League.

For the games against the minnows, invite some of the young guys playing in Europe and get them capped.

Mitrovic, Corbeanu, Yankov, Kennedy, Paton and Breza for starters.

Herdman should be asking all the long shot dual nationals as well Marmoush, Ferreira and Kadioglu.

1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

For the games against the minnows, invite some of the young guys playing in Europe and get them capped.

Mitrovic, Corbeanu, Yankov, Kennedy, Paton and Breza for starters.

Herdman should be asking all the long shot dual nationals as well Marmoush, Ferreira and Kadioglu.

I like it but it's going to be a challenge ..we have been inactive for so long and Herdman will want to get his regular squad together to gel even vs minnows before the next round,  which may mean just 1 or 2 new players per window.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Third keeper would be Carducci and next in line would be Luetwiler if Crepeau is not fit.

As for the final two spots, I would go with Millar for his pace and energy and the fact the roster I have assembled is perhaps short on wide players.

The other is a tough.

On one hand you have the experience, leadership and work rate of Teibert. I imagine him to be a good guy to have around the team, pushing the other guys. At the same time, with our top midfielders available I don’t know if he gets a chance. It might be better to pick Fraser and get him that experience, plus he did so well in Toronto when he was called upon.

Then we have Akindele continuing his run in Orlando. Hard to ignore that, but like Teibert I don’t know how he sees the field and unlike Millar he doesn’t have one special attribute that may come in handy. He’s more of a jack-of-all-trades attacker.

Or do we go with an extra left back? Morgan is not really deserving. De Jong is (likely) done with the national team. Bassong is club-less, are we going to leave Teibert, Akindele and Fraser home for a guy without a club? Miller is a candidate, but is not playing with Orlando. 

Honestly, I think I would go Teibert. So my last 3 picks would be Carducci, Millar and Teibert.

If Laryea keeps getting minutes at LB for TFC he could be the back up if necessary. Cornelius is another option at LB and of course Davies. The ability to play in more than 1 position is going to be key in selections for some.  That back up spot can be taken by a forward.

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

If Laryea keeps getting minutes at LB for TFC he could be the back up if necessary.

I'm starting to think that Laryea might be the #1 choice at LB for the CMNT. He's a much more dynamic in the attack compared to Adekudgbe or any of the other left back options. He's also excellent at defending one on one and can track back against the speediest wingers. The biggest question last year, at right back, was his positioning. Based on the small sample size during the MLS is back games he appears to be improving. I noticed he was cutting off the passing angles well and as a result he made a number of timely interceptions.

I also like the idea of having right-footed players at both left and right back positions. it would complement Davies really well. When Davies is on the left he can cross with his left while Laryea can cut in and shoot with his right. If Davies switches to the right side, he can cut in and shoot with his left while Brault-Guillard can deliver the crosses with his right. The idea of of having both Laryea and Davies running on the wings has to be terrifying if you're the opposition coach.

Also, assuming Hoilett plays the opposite wing from Davies, it could create a lot of extra room for him. No more getting double teamed whenever he gets the ball. With Laryea and Davies on the pitch the defence will be stretched too thin to allow for any extra attention to Hoilett.

Edited by Norrin Radd

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

If Laryea keeps getting minutes at LB for TFC he could be the back up if necessary. Cornelius is another option at LB and of course Davies. The ability to play in more than 1 position is going to be key in selections for some.  That back up spot can be taken by a forward.

The Whitecaps tried Cornelius at LB last year for a few games before Adnan arrived and after Levis got injured, and trust me he is not a LB.  Looked, really, really out of place and was beaten constantly.  I like him as a CB for the Whitecaps (and to keep working up the national team depth chart), but an LB he is not.

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The Whitecaps tried Cornelius at LB last year for a few games before Adnan arrived and after Levis got injured, and trust me he is not a LB.  Looked, really, really out of place and was beaten constantly.  I like him as a CB for the Whitecaps (and to keep working up the national team depth chart), but an LB he is not.

Cornelius isn't a LB and until Laryea plays game in and game out at LB, he's not an LB either.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Cornelius isn't a LB and until Laryea plays game in and game out at LB, he's not an LB either.

I don't think either of them would start at LB for the CMNT at this point as we have better options but in the event of an injury emergency on the squad they could fill in during a game. Their names were mentioned in that  context.  If we go with 3 keepers and 8 players for our back 4 (starters and backups) that would leave only 12 players for forwards/mids ...positions where we have lots of quality

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I don't think either of them would start at LB for the CMNT at this point as we have better options but in the event of an injury emergency on the squad they could fill in during a game. Their names were mentioned in that  context.  If we go with 3 keepers and 8 players for our back 4 (starters and backups) that would leave only 12 players for forwards/mids ...positions where we have lots of quality

I was responding to another poster's suggestion that Laryea should be considered for the starting LB.

I don't disagree about your positional versatilty point.  It's unfortunate about Kamal Miller's current club situation because he could provide that left sided backline flexibilty.  In his defence (pardon the pun), he's being kept out of his MLS side by some strong back line play (with that statement, Orlando City will probably sh*t the bed defensively in tonight's final vs the Timbers)

Davids’ move to Lille just reinforced to me how good our squad looks on paper. 

Made this just to get a visual. This to me, is our starting 11. Had a hard time putting Kaye LB here as he’s probably our best player in the pivot. But at the same time, the defence doesn’t instill any confidence in me and adding another weak-ish link to our starting 11 feels a bit counter-intuitive. I am also in the camp of Davies being one of our best attacking options and sticking him in the LB position just doesn’t feel right (clearly his role at Bayern is far different). I am also under the assumption that Atiba wouldn’t be around.

Hard to leave Osorio out and not sure about that. I like the mentality and determination Arfield brings. I’m also high on Eustaquio.

I thought of adding in Vitoria or Jakovic but we saw Henry playing fullback a few years ago which was disastrous and I read Vancouver fans thought the same about Cornelius when he shifted out there.

Added in their transfermarket value for fun :)

1AF1402C-59FD-4732-87BE-CA13D09CAEAE.png

Edited by cronaldo7
Lol, spaced out and added 12 players instead of 11. If only it was allowed!

58 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Made this just to get a visual. This to me, is our starting 11. Had a hard time putting Kaye LB here as he’s probably our best player in the pivot. But at the same time, the defence doesn’t instill any confidence in me and adding another weak-ish link to our starting 11 feels a bit counter-intuitive. I am also in the camp of Davies being one of our best attacking options and sticking him in the LB position just doesn’t feel right (clearly his role at Bayern is far different). I am also under the assumption that Atiba wouldn’t be around.

Hard to leave Osorio out and not sure about that. I like the mentality and determination Arfield brings. I’m also high on Eustaquio.

I thought of adding in Vitoria or Jakovic but we saw Henry playing fullback a few years ago which was disastrous and I read Vancouver fans thought the same about Cornelius when he shifted out there.

I think Laryea will be the next Canadian to reach the Million Euro mark.

1 hour ago, cronaldo7 said:

- No Kaye at LB.
- Swap Davies and Hoilett (rewatched the USA game, Davies did work on the right, and Hoilett is dangerous cutting in onto the right)
- I'm okay with Cavallini but prefer Larin for the speed. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

- No Kaye at LB.
- Swap Davies and Hoilett (rewatched the USA game, Davies did work on the right, and Hoilett is dangerous cutting in onto the right)
- I'm okay with Cavallini but prefer Larin for the speed. 

If no Kaye then where do you put him? Who do you take out? Who do you like at LB?

9 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

If no Kaye then where do you put him? Who do you take out? Who do you like at LB?

I think Adekugbe at LB is most likely (except when Davies is there, which will be often). Kaye and Eustaquio are somewhat interchangeable in that case.

When Davies is at LB, you could move David to the wing (where he’s played a lot for Canada), and bring on another midfielder (either Kaye or Osorio probably, possibly with Arfield moving to CAM is Kaye comes in).

Not that transfer mkt  should be the basis for player selections or formation but Davies and David represent 85% of the mkt  value of the squad per @cronaldo7 above. It's  just another indicator that the 2Ds are at a completely different level. In my opinion we need to use a formation that maximizes their impact and skill set while maintaining a solid defensive shield. We don't have the luxury of experimenting vs minnows in WCQ. We did that in CNL.  Some strong players will end up on the bench..that's depth. Subs do win games. This is not MLS team of the week selections.

8 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

A natural LB in Adekugbe. 
Im all for us having our best players on the pitch, but not at the expense of playing out of position.

I personally would have him in midfield over Arfield, but i understand the debate for Scott to start. I just think Kaye is better defensively, and if we can have a solid front four attacking in David, Davies, Hoilett, Larin we would do damage work from the jump vs being reactive. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

A natural LB in Adekugbe. 
Im all for us having our best players on the pitch, but not at the expense of playing out of position.

I personally would have him in midfield over Arfield, but i understand the debate for Scott to start. I just think Kaye is better defensively, and if we can have a solid front four attacking in David, Davies, Hoilett, Larin we would do damage work from the jump vs being reactive. 

Kaye is getting very close to replacing Arfield as an in-pen starter, if he hasn't already. Careers heading in opposite direction, and that's no slight on Scotty; he's just no Hutch in terms of potential for longevity and level of conditioning imo.

10 hours ago, nolando said:

Kaye is getting very close to replacing Arfield as an in-pen starter, if he hasn't already. Careers heading in opposite direction, and that's no slight on Scotty; he's just no Hutch in terms of potential for longevity and level of conditioning imo.

And this is exactly how I feel, as to why he should play now vs later. We’re developing a golden generation/core that needs to be the focus. 

If we’re leading a game, I’m going to sub Larin/Lucas, push David higher, and bring on Pitbull to clean up. 

Edited by Shway

4 hours ago, gigi riva said:

U gotta have Kaye in the staring 11  as a CDM  he is good definsivly and can play in the attack when needed 

Tactically I wouldn't even have him worry about attacking, more so focus on winning the balls/breaking up plays and getting the final pass like he does to the decision makers. i.e David is his Rossi.