General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article.

It may be even more interesting to focus on who gets into our 18, rather than who starts. The starting line up is so dependent on what formation we play and what formation we play with is anyone's guess. The best 18 is perhaps a more interesting guessing game.

Here is my stab at it:

GK - Borjan

GK - Crepeau (if injured than Carducci)

LB - Adekudgbe

CB - Vitoria

CB - Henry

CB - Cornelius

CB - Jakovic

RB - Laryea

RB - Brault-Guillard 

M - Eustaquio

M - Kaye

M - Osorio

M - Arfield

M - Piette

F - Davies

F - David

F - Hoilett

F - Cavallini

*This assumes Hutchinson is unavailable. If he is than he takes Piette's spot.

I found it really tough to bring it down to 18. I ultimately chose Piette over Larin, because you don't really need a back-up centre forward with David in the team. On the other hand, you kinda need two defensive mids, just for flexibility. Speaking of flexibility, Davies being able to play left back affords me the luxury to only select 1 dedicated left back and for now that is Adekudgbe. I wish Gutierrez was part of our program, because he would possibly be my choice. I like what I see from him.

Just now, Mikmacdo said:

Larin has to make the 18. I'd drop piette over him. Kaye and even Osorio looked good in a double pivot early this year. 

Fair enough. I can be sold on that. I too had a hard time leaving Larin off the team.

Who do you drop if Hutchinson is available though?

11 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I don't believe that is correct. You can sub in any of the 12 players on your bench. It's not like club football.

With 5 subs becoming the norm it would be in our best interest to have whatever the maximum is on the bench. More important for us now than when we were less deep.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

With 5 subs becoming the norm it would be in our best interest to have whatever the maximum is on the bench. More important for us now than when we were less deep.

So with Atiba & Larin taking your squad to 20 who would be your other 3 selections? ... players subbed out are usually forwards/ attacking mids 

50 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

So with Atiba & Larin taking your squad to 20 who would be your other 3 selections? ... players subbed out are usually forwards/ attacking mids 

Third keeper would be Carducci and next in line would be Luetwiler if Crepeau is not fit.

As for the final two spots, I would go with Millar for his pace and energy and the fact the roster I have assembled is perhaps short on wide players.

The other is a tough.

On one hand you have the experience, leadership and work rate of Teibert. I imagine him to be a good guy to have around the team, pushing the other guys. At the same time, with our top midfielders available I don’t know if he gets a chance. It might be better to pick Fraser and get him that experience, plus he did so well in Toronto when he was called upon.

Then we have Akindele continuing his run in Orlando. Hard to ignore that, but like Teibert I don’t know how he sees the field and unlike Millar he doesn’t have one special attribute that may come in handy. He’s more of a jack-of-all-trades attacker.

Or do we go with an extra left back? Morgan is not really deserving. De Jong is (likely) done with the national team. Bassong is club-less, are we going to leave Teibert, Akindele and Fraser home for a guy without a club? Miller is a candidate, but is not playing with Orlando. 

Honestly, I think I would go Teibert. So my last 3 picks would be Carducci, Millar and Teibert.

40 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

One spot would be for the third goalie and Teibert/Millar would be likely choices but I'd love to see one or two fresh faces against the minnows.

Yeah I want to see some fresh faces against the minnows too. At the same time we cannot mess around. There is no margin for error, it is first place or out. That said, we might not even get all the players we want and if not the guys further down the list may get a chance. Guys like Chapman, Borges, Byrm, Bair, Okello, etc...maybe even some CPLers...Didic, Zator, maybe someone like Bustos, Boaki or Aleman play their way on the team? Petrasso or Aird? I like Abzi too. A lot of options in the Canadian Premier League.

Edited by Obinna

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Third keeper would be Carducci and next in line would be Luetwiler if Crepeau is not fit.

As for the final two spots, I would go with Millar for his pace and energy and the fact the roster I have assembled is perhaps short on wide players.

The other is a tough.

On one hand you have the experience, leadership and work rate of Teibert. I imagine him to be a good guy to have around the team, pushing the other guys. At the same time, with our top midfielders available I don’t know if he gets a chance. It might be better to pick Fraser and get him that experience, plus he did so well in Toronto when he was called upon.

Then we have Akindele continuing his run in Orlando. Hard to ignore that, but like Teibert I don’t know how he sees the field and unlike Millar he doesn’t have one special attribute that may come in handy. He’s more of a jack-of-all-trades attacker.

Or do we go with an extra left back? Morgan is not really deserving. De Jong is (likely) done with the national team. Bassong is club-less, are we going to leave Teibert, Akindele and Fraser home for a guy without a club? Miller is a candidate, but is not playing with Orlando. 

Honestly, I think I would go Teibert. So my last 3 picks would be Carducci, Millar and Teibert.

I could see Kamal Miller as well. He gives some flexibility with the ability to play LB or CB. Herdman seems to rate him as well. The lack of playing time makes it less of a certainty though. Has Millar been playing for Liverpool’s youth/reserve sides or has he been a while without games?

Edited by archer21

In terms of Gutiérrez @Obinna & all, based on my group chat where we talk all things Canadian footy and some very reliable source therein, one of the members who seems to do a lot of following and communicate with people connected to players from our player pool, he mentioned to me a few weeks back, when Whitecaps played round of 16 game, that he is, indeed, interested in joining the CANMNT!!!!!... We just need to patiently await I guess for an announcement or a squad selection, I suppose... I can always follow up with my contacts to clarify if need be!!!!... Just wanted to break this to all of you!

Secondly, this has already been posted here, but will like to post it again:

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1072288/4733924

Come have a listen to this podcast, any comments + additional info is appreciated for those of you who take the time to listen, lol. It is me that special guest there for all of those who are wondering! 😉