General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Larin is def ahead of Henry. Hes on par with Cav right now. 

Also the gap between 3 and Osorio is so small. You can argue Osorio is as good as Arfield who is declining somewhat. 

How?

I know he had a good 2-3 first months, but are we just going to ignore his 1 goal in 16 games to finish the season? He still hasn't proven consistency at all, for me anyways with those kind of numbers.

I do agree with the Oso statement. I know some others didn't like me picking him over Arfield, but I really do think Oso is severely overlooked and I do agree that Arfield did slow down a bit this season.

Edited by Colliedor

31 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

How?

I know he had a good 2-3 first months, but are we just going to ignore his 1 goal in 16 games to finish the season? He still hasn't proven consistency at all, for me anyways with those kind of numbers.

I do agree with the Oso statement. I know some others didn't like me picking him over Arfield, but I really do think Oso is severely overlooked and I do agree that Arfield did slow down a bit this season.

Well cavalinni has played two games in a long time and wasn't lighting it up before going to Vancouver. 

With Coronavirus I’ve been playing a lot of FIFA. One of the formations I’ve really gotten to play a lot is a 3-4-3 Diamond- which Barcelona and others have played with.  It’s a really fluid system but with Canada’s unique players I wonder if it could be something we use.

It would involve a frontline of Davies, Cavalini and David up front with a midfield diamond of Piette/ Eustaquio, Arfield, Kaye and Osorio.

The backline remains problematic but in a 3 CB back line Vitoria in the center with Cornelius and Henry on either side could be at least a stable back line.

It makes up for our lack of high level FB’s (except Davies) and strong midfield options. 

It also gets almost all our top 11 players (except Hoilett) on the field and leaves Hoilett for a quality sub.  In theory it should work.

4 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Well cavalinni has played two games in a long time and wasn't lighting it up before going to Vancouver. 

My problem with Larin is that he has showed the same struggles he has shown for several years now. When he cools down, he REALLY cools down. HIs hold up and composure infront is still behind Lucas imo. I agree Lucas wasn't lighting it up either, but he didn't go 1 in 16 bad and Larin wasn't stuck playing for the second worst team in Mexico who averaged around 30% of ball possession every game.

20 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Cav is better than Larin at this point. Happy that Larin had a good year in Belgium and if he continues it when the madness ends then there will be more of a debate.  But right now if we are starting 1 striker up top it would be Cav with David under neath 

I agree with all of this.  Cav is def still ahead IMO, but I am cheering for Larin to make this a much tougher decision.   

20 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Cav is better than Larin at this point. Happy that Larin had a good year in Belgium and if he continues it when the madness ends then there will be more of a debate.  But right now if we are starting 1 striker up top it would be Cav with David under neath 

Larin deserves another shot IMO. He's less uni-dimensional than before with his 10 assists in 29 games. He's capable to be a good play-maker now. Larin upped his game, not to be under-estimated

5 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Hopefully no positive case that results in lung damage here. How ****ing stupid do you have to be to think Florida was a good place to hold the tourney?

Sigh... it really is sad. They should've followed NHLs suit and implemented the phases, but waited on the choice of a Hub city. Florida ended up being the literal worst choice for both MLS and the NBA 

15 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Hopefully no positive case that results in lung damage here. How ****ing stupid do you have to be to think Florida was a good place to hold the tourney?

Nobody thinks it's a good place but ESPN and Disneyworld are owned by the same people. So Disneyworld it is. I love ESPN riding around on their high horse all the time but yet I've noticed the criticism from them on this and the NBA restart has been mild at best. Not even just from a safety point of view but how about the fact that the entire thing seems to be a disorganized mess. Hypocrisy anyone

Edited by SpursFlu

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Wow.  I wasn’t following MLS so didn’t know they were in Florida. WTF were they thinking?   If one player tested positive I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if a bunch more are confirmed shortly.  

11 in total positive on FC Dallas so far, enough to postpone their game vs the Caps. I really feel for the players 

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/international-soccer/an-untapped-forgotten-market-canada-experiencing-a-gold-rush-on-players-by-foreign-leagues/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Some interesting comments on changing attitudes in Europe toward CONCACAF and particularly Canada as a potential untapped source for prospects

Or instead of Canada playing 4-2-3-1 or even 4-3-3...Canada under a 4-4-2 would not be so bad but with a starting 11 under 4-4-2 however then this is how Canada should line up

GK- Borjan

LB- Adekugbe 

CB- Didic

CB- Cornelius 

RB- Brault-Guillard 

CDM- Eustaquio 

LW- Davies

CAM- Arfield 

RW- David

LS- Hoilett 

RS- Cavallini 

* Didic at CB gives Canada size especially on that backline and for a big man he is also agile plus pairing him up with Cornelius...that is an even better combination because Cornelius is just as talented. Not to mention he is fast on the ball too and makes good decisions.

* Placed Adekugbe at left back because at left back, even though he is not as proven, he is probably Canada's best option at left back other than Bassong or Miller.

* ZBG at right back is basically the future...he has more or less solidified his position over there.

* Between Eustaquio, Piette and Kaye...all 3 guys you can basically interchange especially at the CDM position but I really struggled here. Went with Eustaquio because not only is he more talented but he is everything you could want in a CDM...one who is attack minded but one who also tracks back to help out the defense the most.

* Davies, Arfield and David to make up that 3 man diamond in midfield...no need to even go further or explain myself there. Even though I debated on whether or not to take Arfield out and replace him with Osorio because you can easily interchange both players at that position. But kept Arfield mostly because of seniority and the fact that he has been consistent.

* Up front in a 2 striker set up, you can have Cavallini as your main target man but with Hoilett you can easily have him play that secondary striker role even if people can make the argument for Larin.

8 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/international-soccer/an-untapped-forgotten-market-canada-experiencing-a-gold-rush-on-players-by-foreign-leagues/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Some interesting comments on changing attitudes in Europe toward CONCACAF and particularly Canada as a potential untapped source for prospects

Great article.  Hopefully a trend that continues for a long time to come.  

6 hours ago, gigi riva said:

it was nice to see Tabla actually having a decent game for Montreal hopefully this is a start of something

Yeah Ballou is still young and he's definitely a special talent.  It's be fantastic to see him put it together.

11 hours ago, gigi riva said:

it was nice to see Tabla actually having a decent game for Montreal hopefully this is a start of something

He took one really really interesting shot as a sub. That's not a decent game. That's a decent moment.

1 minute ago, red card said:

He took one really really interesting shot as a sub. That's not a decent game. That's a decent moment.

He had one good cross and linked up for at least one promising attack.

he also lost possession a few times. No one is saying he looked like Messi out there but given his form over the last 12 months you wound have to say it was a positive performance that hopefully he can build on .

It looks like the five substitute rule may be allowed next year.  I think that can only be beneficial for Canada for capping and as well maximizing and meshing our young players as well as our few elder statesmen like Atiba.   So far, the general feedback for the five substitute rule seems to be positive and perhaps this is a permanent change thereafter - certainly it can only benefit and prolong the older stars of the game.

3 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Really hurts to see Laryea as the only full fledged Canadian to see the pitch for TFC today.. short amount of time between games hopefully means a huge influx of Canadians vs Montreal 

I doubt we'll see many more Canadians cause Vanney hates playing Canadians and would rather play Zavaleta out of position than play one of the young Canadians for some reason.