Jump to content
Scorpion26

General Discussion on CMNT

Recommended Posts

I can't get behind the 3 men defence. We all agree that the  CB position  is our biggest weakness by far. So starting an extra one makes no sense to me personally.

I think people pick this so they can place Davies as a WB, but if that means hampering your starting 11 a little bit, it isn't worth it. Think people forgot Davies is more than capable of playing as a winger/forward....

He is at his best on counter attacks. When Canada plays against tougher oppositions and are expected to have much less of the ball, Davies up front could be devastating for the other team on counters alone.

I do agree that David should be playing behind the striker. That's why I still think a 4-2-3-1 formation could be best, or possibly a diamond mid.

Diamond formation might be slightly preferred because of the depth and quality we have in midfield compared to other positions.  Where as the 4-2-3-1 position will have a right wing position that's imo isn't to settled yet. I personally don't consider Hoillett a must starter.

The current "box" formation we play with isn't baaad, but it does have more glaring weaknesses.

 

Now having said that, enjoy my half finished preferred line up.

 

                               Borjan

Laryea             TBD            TBD          TBD

                            Eustaquio

         Osorio                              Kaye (or at LB)

                              David

           Cavallini                   Davies

 

Reason why I left the CB's position open are for a couple reasons.

1) Holding out to see what Ricardo Ferreira's status is. If he gets fitness and form, could be a big deal for us.

2) Would like to see more of Waterman's performances.

3) Position is so freaking bad no one should be considered a guarantee. It's the position that's going to require the most experimentation's. If that even includes trying out Atiba or Fraser in that position, so be it.

What's making me keep a closer eye on Ferreira and Waterman is their ability on the ball. They're better passers than the rest of our CB's. Defensively, I could care less, no one is out performing someone else by a big margin to convince me they should get a start purely for their defensive work. If they're close to the same skill level defensively (which is already not great) I would much rather pick the guy that can finally help us build from the back properly instead of constant hoofing the ball down or brain fart giveaways under pressure. It's one of the reason why I would still consider Vitoria to be looked at despite his lack of playing time. His passing is extremely useful.

LB position, again, still undecided due to some of the players keeping a close eye on. It is a position that could maybe allow Kaye in there because again, he does have better passing movement and experience playing there, and does allow someone like Arfield in the starting lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My last memory of Ricardo Ferreira was watching him get roasted by Zardes during a friendly between Portugal and the USA. 

It was his only cap for Portugal, but he really struggled against fast players.

He is a big body, a threat in the air, a good passer. He is not very fast and I doubt he is faster now post injury. 

Very similar skill set to Vitoria. 

Just a reminder before we start to get too excited about him. He might not even be good enough for us at the moment. 

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

My last memory of Ricardo Ferreira was watching him get roasted by Zardes during a friendly between Portugal and the USA. 

It was his only cap for Portugal, but he really struggled against fast players.

 

Zardes didnt even play that match...Sapong maybe?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colliedor said:

I can't get behind the 3 men defence. We all agree that the  CB position  is our biggest weakness by far. So starting an extra one makes no sense to me personally.

I think people pick this so they can place Davies as a WB, but if that means hampering your starting 11 a little bit, it isn't worth it. Think people forgot Davies is more than capable of playing as a winger/forward....

He is at his best on counter attacks. When Canada plays against tougher oppositions and are expected to have much less of the ball, Davies up front could be devastating for the other team on counters alone.

I do agree that David should be playing behind the striker. That's why I still think a 4-2-3-1 formation could be best, or possibly a diamond mid.

Diamond formation might be slightly preferred because of the depth and quality we have in midfield compared to other positions.  Where as the 4-2-3-1 position will have a right wing position that's imo isn't to settled yet. I personally don't consider Hoillett a must starter.

The current "box" formation we play with isn't baaad, but it does have more glaring weaknesses.

 

Now having said that, enjoy my half finished preferred line up.

 

                               Borjan

Laryea             TBD            TBD          TBD

                            Eustaquio

         Osorio                              Kaye (or at LB)

                              David

           Cavallini                   Davies

 

Reason why I left the CB's position open are for a couple reasons.

1) Holding out to see what Ricardo Ferreira's status is. If he gets fitness and form, could be a big deal for us.

2) Would like to see more of Waterman's performances.

3) Position is so freaking bad no one should be considered a guarantee. It's the position that's going to require the most experimentation's. If that even includes trying out Atiba or Fraser in that position, so be it.

What's making me keep a closer eye on Ferreira and Waterman is their ability on the ball. They're better passers than the rest of our CB's. Defensively, I could care less, no one is out performing someone else by a big margin to convince me they should get a start purely for their defensive work. If they're close to the same skill level defensively (which is already not great) I would much rather pick the guy that can finally help us build from the back properly instead of constant hoofing the ball down or brain fart giveaways under pressure. It's one of the reason why I would still consider Vitoria to be looked at despite his lack of playing time. His passing is extremely useful.

LB position, again, still undecided due to some of the players keeping a close eye on. It is a position that could maybe allow Kaye in there because again, he does have better passing movement and experience playing there, and does allow someone like Arfield in the starting lineup.

I like your reasoning and most of the 11, however, I cringe when someone picks Osorio ahead of Arfield.  No personal offence, but i just can't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, costarg said:

I like your reasoning and most of the 11, however, I cringe when someone picks Osorio ahead of Arfield.  No personal offence, but i just can't.

 

I agree, Arfield is a must start for us IMO. It seems that Herdman loves Osorio as much and anyone in our midfield though, so I think most realistic projections should probably have both of them in the lineup. I see Osorio more as a substitute, as many of you do, but realistically it doesn’t matter if Herdman doesn’t see it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Finally someone who gets it.

 

But when?  Maybe in Qatar 2022 or maybe not.  It might be in 2026 when we co-host with the US and Mexico in our backyard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, kacbru said:

But when?  Maybe in Qatar 2022 or maybe not.  It might be in 2026 when we co-host with the US and Mexico in our backyard.

When global warming burns up the planet and Baffin Island has the best pitches in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

But since you guys hate the 3-5-2 set up so much which I do not even understand why 🤬especially when it works for other nations...then the best formation you can use either is 4-3-3 for Canada or 4-2-3-1

 

On 4-3-3...squad you can use

GK- Borjan

LB- Bassong

CB- Cornelius

CB- Zator or Didic 

RB- Brault-Guillard 

CDM- Eustaquio 

LCM- Arfield

RCM- Kaye

LW- Davies

CF- Cavallini 

RW- David

 

Then on 4-2-3-1...an alternate lineup

GK- Borjan

LB- Adekugbe 

CB- Cornelius 

CB- Zator or Didic

RB- Brault-Guillard 

CDM- Eustaquio 

CDM- Kaye

LAM- Davies

CAM- Arfield 

RAM- David

CF- Cavallini

Edited by TGAA_Star
X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

But since you guys hate the 3-5-2 set up so much which I do not even understand why 🤬especially when it works for other nations...then the best formation you can use either is 4-3-3 for Canada or 4-2-3-1

 

On 4-3-3...squad you can use

GK- Borjan

LB- Bassong

CB- Cornelius

CB- Zator or Didic 

RB- Brault-Guillard 

CDM- Eustaquio 

LCM- Arfield

RCM- Kaye

LW- Davies

CF- Cavallini 

RW- David

 

Then on 4-2-3-1...an alternate lineup

GK- Borjan

LB- Adekugbe 

CB- Cornelius 

CB- Zator or Didic

RB- Brault-Guillard 

CDM- Eustaquio 

CDM- Kaye

LAM- Davies

CAM- Arfield 

RAM- David

CF- Cavallini

The reason most people didn’t like your 3-5-2 was your use of one true CB. Personally I don’t think it’s the right formation to use for Canada but people would have taken it more seriously if you had used three CB’s in the back line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly If we want to play 3 at the back, we should lineup and attack in a similar way to Belgium. I really like Tifo footballs video on their tactics:

TL;DR: Belgium lineup with a 343 using a flowing front three. Belgium also play their key playmaker ,KDB,  as part of the Midfield two alongside Axel Witsel.  

 

That being said Canada's 343 would look more like this :

GK: Borjan

CBs: Cornelius, Hutch/Vitoria/Ferriera, Henry/James

LM: Davies

CMs: Estaquio,Arfield

RM: ZBG

LF: Hoilett 

RF: David

ST: Cavallini

Ideally that front three is fluid but with David just behind Cavallini and Hoilett being able to provide with in either side. Defensively, Canada won't be able to high press like Belgium as we can't rely on Cornelius and Henry the way they do for Vertonghen and Alderweireld. What Canada can do in this case is have the front thee press high while the rest of the team drops back. This is why I would have Hoilett over an extra midfielder, His pace and dynamic play is something this this team needs more then a body in Midfield. Davies can get forward in a way similar to Chadli or Carrasco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, badname22 said:

Honestly If we want to play 3 at the back, we should lineup and attack in a similar way to Belgium. I really like Tifo footballs video on their tactics:

TL;DR: Belgium lineup with a 343 using a flowing front three. Belgium also play their key playmaker ,KDB,  as part of the Midfield two alongside Axel Witsel.  

 

That being said Canada's 343 would look more like this :

GK: Borjan

CBs: Cornelius, Hutch/Vitoria/Ferriera, Henry/James

LM: Davies

CMs: Estaquio,Arfield

RM: ZBG

LF: Hoilett 

RF: David

ST: Cavallini

Ideally that front three is fluid but with David just behind Cavallini and Hoilett being able to provide with in either side. Defensively, Canada won't be able to high press like Belgium as we can't rely on Cornelius and Henry the way they do for Vertonghen and Alderweireld. What Canada can do in this case is have the front thee press high while the rest of the team drops back. This is why I would have Hoilett over an extra midfielder, His pace and dynamic play is something this this team needs more then a body in Midfield. Davies can get forward in a way similar to Chadli or Carrasco. 

Comparing Canada to Belgium's attack with the 3-4-3 scheme I like it for the most part...but Canada if they had a much more dynamic attack set up I would love it even more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Obinna said:

That’s the one! Thank you!

Makes it worse though, doesn’t it?

lol it definitely does, I rate Zardes over Sappong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Canada Day. Here is my list of our current top 10 most important players, ranked. 

1. Davies - our brightest star, can and will do it all, a phenom of world football

2. David - the iceman, will score many, many goals for us, plain and simple

3. Arfield - our captain, a true midfield general, experienced leadership, tenacious hard worker, creative and can score goals

4. Hoilett - cool in possession, plays a Concacaf style ie. draws many fouls, can cross or attack the box, long range scoring threat, brings a swagger and confidence we need in our lineup

5. Eustaquio - will establish himself as our best young midfielder as soon as we start playing games, reminds me of Julian deGuzman but is more creative and can score goals

6. Cavallini - his game is perfectly suited to open up space for David, adds toughness, grit and experience to our attack

7. Borjan - our best shot stopping keeper ever, a wealth of Concacaf experience, will have to be at the top of his game to keep Crepeau on the bench

8. Kaye - our most versatile player, extremely well rounded midfielder, can score goals and protect the back line, good enough to make the jump to European football sooner than later 

9. Osorio - our most creative midfielder, has the trust and confidence of the manager, not suited for every occasion or game, knows how to win, brings passion and big game experience 

10. Henry - we are only as strong as our weakest link, our backline, and for better or worse it will be Henry who will anchor our backline, inconsistency has dogged Henry his entire career, but he has all the tools he needs to be an imposing and dominant centre back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Happy Canada Day. Here is my list of our current top 10 most important players, ranked. 

1. Davies - our brightest star, can and will do it all, a phenom of world football

2. David - the iceman, will score many, many goals for us, plain and simple

3. Arfield - our captain, a true midfield general, experienced leadership, tenacious hard worker, creative and can score goals

4. Hoilett - cool in possession, plays a Concacaf style ie. draws many fouls, can cross or attack the box, long range scoring threat, brings a swagger and confidence we need in our lineup

5. Eustaquio - will establish himself as our best young midfielder as soon as we start playing games, reminds me of Julian deGuzman but is more creative and can score goals

6. Cavallini - his game is perfectly suited to open up space for David, adds toughness, grit and experience to our attack

7. Borjan - our best shot stopping keeper ever, a wealth of Concacaf experience, will have to be at the top of his game to keep Crepeau on the bench

8. Kaye - our most versatile player, extremely well rounded midfielder, can score goals and protect the back line, good enough to make the jump to European football sooner than later 

9. Osorio - our most creative midfielder, has the trust and confidence of the manager, not suited for every occasion or game, knows how to win, brings passion and big game experience 

10. Henry - we are only as strong as our weakest link, our backline, and for better or worse it will be Henry who will anchor our backline, inconsistency has dogged Henry his entire career, but he has all the tools he needs to be an imposing and dominant centre back

I like this a lot, I also think Henry is currently our #1 CB (make best with the little we have). But I still think I’d have Cyle Larin at 10 for now 

edit: happy Canada day boys 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn I am looking forward to the resumption of international footy so we can see these boys play again.  We have been talking about our potential for what seems like forever.  It will be great to see that potential translate into results.  
 

Happy Canada Day all :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I like this a lot, I also think Henry is currently our #1 CB (make best with the little we have). But I still think I’d have Cyle Larin at 10 for now 

edit: happy Canada day boys 

Larin is def ahead of Henry. Hes on par with Cav right now. 

Also the gap between 3 and Osorio is so small. You can argue Osorio is as good as Arfield who is declining somewhat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Happy Canada Day. Here is my list of our current top 10 most important players, ranked. 

1. Davies - our brightest star, can and will do it all, a phenom of world football

2. David - the iceman, will score many, many goals for us, plain and simple

3. Arfield - our captain, a true midfield general, experienced leadership, tenacious hard worker, creative and can score goals

4. Hoilett - cool in possession, plays a Concacaf style ie. draws many fouls, can cross or attack the box, long range scoring threat, brings a swagger and confidence we need in our lineup

5. Eustaquio - will establish himself as our best young midfielder as soon as we start playing games, reminds me of Julian deGuzman but is more creative and can score goals

6. Cavallini - his game is perfectly suited to open up space for David, adds toughness, grit and experience to our attack

7. Borjan - our best shot stopping keeper ever, a wealth of Concacaf experience, will have to be at the top of his game to keep Crepeau on the bench

8. Kaye - our most versatile player, extremely well rounded midfielder, can score goals and protect the back line, good enough to make the jump to European football sooner than later 

9. Osorio - our most creative midfielder, has the trust and confidence of the manager, not suited for every occasion or game, knows how to win, brings passion and big game experience 

10. Henry - we are only as strong as our weakest link, our backline, and for better or worse it will be Henry who will anchor our backline, inconsistency has dogged Henry his entire career, but he has all the tools he needs to be an imposing and dominant centre back

Are we talking about "today" or 2022?  Cause if we're playing Costa Rica, Mexico or USA tonight or next week, Hutch is in the middle of that list.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, costarg said:

Are we talking about "today" or 2022?  Cause if we're playing Costa Rica, Mexico or USA tonight or next week, Hutch is in the middle of that list.  

I believe Hutchinson is finished with the National Team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Larin is def ahead of Henry. Hes on par with Cav right now. 

Also the gap between 3 and Osorio is so small. You can argue Osorio is as good as Arfield who is declining somewhat. 

You can argue, but you'd you'd be wrong!  Hahaha!

No but seriously, Arfield is only 31, was playing EPL just 2 years ago, and is still competing in Europa League. 

Osorio will never and could never make it to either.  I like Osorio, but he's 4th-5th midfielder on the team right now depending who we're playing and which formation.  He still has a lot to give CANMNT, but to say he's caught Arfield... I just don't see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, costarg said:

You can argue, but you'd you'd be wrong!  Hahaha!

No but seriously, Arfield is only 31, was playing EPL just 2 years ago, and is still competing in Europa League. 

Osorio will never and could never make it to either.  I like Osorio, but he's 4th-5th midfielder on the team right now depending who we're playing and which formation.  He still has a lot to give CANMNT, but to say he's caught Arfield... I just don't see it.

I looked up arfields stats and he dropped off a big chuck this season and turns 32 in nov. I consider MLS a better league than the premiership these days. They arent too far apart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I looked up arfields stats and he dropped off a big chuck this season and turns 32 in nov. I consider MLS a better league than the premiership these days. They arent too far apart. 

Yeah Arfield has fallen off but not by much. By 2022 he will be 34 years old by the time Qatar starts and no doubt he will be there for that I can say he will be for sure assuming Canada qualify but to say he will be there after 2022, it definitely won't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...