General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

On 5/6/2019 at 12:34 AM, Bison44 said:

Did he ever play much RB??  Zambrano had him there as a experiment out of need, 

Re: Petrasso

He played RB for us, every minute of every game at the last Gold Cup and did his job fine, not even 2 years ago. 

This included 0-0 vs Honduras and 1-1 vs Costa Rica.

I agree with most he is better higher up the pitch, however our depth is not massive at RB like you said. He does have international experience and has shown he is capable.  

I'd like to see him in the 40 man roster and take it from there.  Showing he was capable at RB at an international level should have merit, especially if he is getting regular minutes and fit. I'd prefer him as an added depth RB over someone completely raw.

Edited by apbsmith

12 hours ago, Shway said:

ZBG is frequently attacking down the right side. This kid looks like a RW turned RB with his stepovers and willingness to take on guys. Definitely the best RB we have right now

He's so fast and plays with so much confident also, it's amazing and fun to watch.

Lyon doesn't mess around with player development/investment/potential. Top 5, arguably top 3 club in world for player development. In France, they are very well respected also, for actually caring about the young players. I'm sure he is labelled and being monitored as a nice potential return for them down the road. Like I said before the 1 year at Montreal, plus understudy behind Sagna is massive. 

Still a long ways to go for him, and still so young for a defender, but it's definitely fun to follow his upwards progression.

12 hours ago, Corazon said:

As anticipated Toronto FC essentially played with 8 reserve players tonight and it showed.  Very poor performance but good to see lots of Canadian's get playing time.  Chapman & Fraser were okay in the midfield at best.  Akinola was lively at times but needs to start finishing.  Osorio came on and was not very good besides he exceptional dive.  Morgan was just bad.  TFC defenders were left out to dry all game against against some of the best MLS attacking players in the league but Laryea was probably the lone bright spot in the game.  I like what I see from him at right back.

Montreal starting AJH, Piette, Shome & ZBG tonight as well.

Tajon starting again for New England.

The Revs got absolutely demolished 5-0 by the Fire. Unsure of how Tajon played

10 minutes ago, canta15 said:

The Revs got absolutely demolished 5-0 by the Fire. Unsure of how Tajon played

The Revs are just terrible but perhaps because they lack talent and depth could continue to mean more minutes for Tajon although it looks like they spend most of their time in their own end.

38 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Re: Petrasso

He played RB for us, every minute of every game at the last Gold Cup and did his job fine, not even 2 years ago. 

This included 0-0 vs Honduras and 1-1 vs Costa Rica.

I agree with most he is better higher up the pitch, however our depth is not massive at RB like you said. He does have international experience and has shown he is capable.  

I'd like to see him in the 40 man roster and take it from there.  Showing he was capable at RB at an international level should have merit, especially if he is getting regular minutes and fit. I'd prefer him as an added depth RB over someone completely raw.

I noticed he was playing at attacking mid last night?  Do you know if this is temporary or because his talent is likely greater than most in the league that he might be transitioned to play this position going forward.  Petrasso at center mid is not going to help his chances of playing for Canada.  We're just too deep there now.

8 hours ago, Corazon said:

I noticed he was playing at attacking mid last night?  Do you know if this is temporary or because his talent is likely greater than most in the league that he might be transitioned to play this position going forward.  Petrasso at center mid is not going to help his chances of playing for Canada.  We're just too deep there now.

Valid points and good question. Perhaps someone else can answer that better about him playing as CAM. It's a catch 22 I guess. Manager sees him as a huge piece for the club, in the centre of the pitch but not ideal for the CMNT if his best position to make the squad is at RB. 

Sometimes though players play in different positions for club/country. On a similar note, MAK shouldn't really be playing at LB, but he is our LB depth guy behind Adekugbe.  I do see what you are saying though about him not playing RB for club. 

For this selection, I still think we are 2-3 yrs away from being overly selective on our defender pool, especially for a player who still has some years in front of him, and has proven international experience before at RB. 

I'm okay to see him make the 40 man roster and go from there.

Edited by apbsmith

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:46 AM, Shway said:

Wondering when friendlies will be announced. 

I was looking at other nations friendlies who will be playing on this side of the hemisphere, and noticed that a lot have scheduled games already. 

I hope we don't play Suriname and call it good warmup. 

Still no announcement of friendly games. Meanwhile here is a list of the friendlies of the neighbors of the area:

Jun 3 Colombia vs Panama

Jun 4 Peru vs Costa Rica

Jun 5 Chile vs Haiti / Curacao vs India/ Japan vs Trinidad & Tobago / USA vs Jamaica / Mexico vs Venezuela / 

Jun 7 Uruguay vs Panama

Jun 9 Japan vs El Salvador/ Mexico vs Ecuador / Brazil vs Honduras

Canada, Bermuda, Nicaragua, Guyana and Martinique amongst the Gold Cup Nations with no planned friendly games

9 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Still no announcement of friendly games. Meanwhile here is a list of the friendlies of the neighbors of the area:

Jun 3 Colombia vs Panama

Jun 4 Peru vs Costa Rica

Jun 5 Chile vs Haiti / Curacao vs India/ Japan vs Trinidad & Tobago / USA vs Jamaica / Mexico vs Venezuela / 

Jun 7 Uruguay vs Panama

Jun 9 Japan vs El Salvador/ Mexico vs Ecuador / Brazil vs Honduras

Canada, Bermuda, Nicaragua, Guyana and Martinique amongst the Gold Cup Nations with no planned friendly games

T&T are also playing Venezuela on May 29th.

The only slight saving grace is that two other teams in our group (Cuba and Martinique) are also not playing any friendlies thus far. But that's no excuse for us not to have any. It's particularly galling to see that Honduras gets to play Brazil while we get to play no-one. I'll take another friendly against any of Bermuda, Nicaragua or Guyana, or even Curacao like last time.

52 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

T&T are also playing Venezuela on May 29th.

The only slight saving grace is that two other teams in our group (Cuba and Martinique) are also not playing any friendlies thus far. But that's no excuse for us not to have any. It's particularly galling to see that Honduras gets to play Brazil while we get to play no-one. I'll take another friendly against any of Bermuda, Nicaragua or Guyana, or even Curacao like last time.

The game Trinidad/ Tobago against Venezuela was canceled … A Canada-Venezuela match would be fantastic. https://albertonews.com/deportes/la-crisis-tambien-toca-al-deporte-trinidad-y-tobago-cancelo-partido-ante-la-vinotinto-en-caracas/

23 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

The game Trinidad/ Tobago against Venezuela was canceled … A Canada-Venezuela match would be fantastic. https://albertonews.com/deportes/la-crisis-tambien-toca-al-deporte-trinidad-y-tobago-cancelo-partido-ante-la-vinotinto-en-caracas/

Someone should just pose as a representative of the CSA and invite them here for a friendly using faked letterhead.  CSA will find out when Venezuela reply and accept the offer.   To avoid embarrassment, the CSA will then just pretend that it was their idea and run with it.

And don't worry @admin, I am like 72% joking.

CPL season is still young but I suspect at least 1 CPL Centre back will make the 40 man roster.  We have 6 Canadian players who have established themselves as starter in CPL so far.  Let’s take a look at the early returns

Pacific- Lukas MacNaughten - 3/3 starts.  No prior  professional experience 

Edmonton- Amer Didic 1/1 starts.  76 USL games and 2 games with Canada U23

Calgary- Johnathan Wheeldon 2/2 starts but already 30 with no prior professional experience.

Winnipeg- Skylar Thomas 4/4 starts.  103 USL games and 7 games with Canada U23

Forge- Domenic Samuel 3/3 starts.  28 USL games, 2X L1O Defender of the Year.

York9- Luca Gasparotto 2/2 starts. 98 games in Scotland at various levels.  Represented Canada 18 times at U17-U23 level.

I’ve watched MacNaughten, Wheeldon, Thomas, Samuel and Gasparotto so far and I’ve came away most impressed by Thomas and Gasparotto.

Those 2 players have also represented Canada at the youth level before.  Can they play their way into the CMNT player pool to 40?

I suspect that one of them can and will.  

15 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

CPL season is still young but I suspect at least 1 CPL Centre back will make the 40 man roster.  We have 6 Canadian players who have established themselves as starter in CPL so far.  Let’s take a look at the early returns

Pacific- Lukas MacNaughten - 3/3 starts.  No prior  professional experience 

Edmonton- Amer Didic 1/1 starts.  76 USL games and 2 games with Canada U23

Calgary- Johnathan Wheeldon 2/2 starts but already 30 with no prior professional experience.

Winnipeg- Skylar Thomas 4/4 starts.  103 USL games and 7 games with Canada U23

Forge- Domenic Samuel 3/3 starts.  28 USL games, 2X L1O Defender of the Year.

York9- Luca Gasparotto 2/2 starts. 98 games in Scotland at various levels.  Represented Canada 18 times at U17-U23 level.

I’ve watched MacNaughten, Wheeldon, Thomas, Samuel and Gasparotto so far and I’ve came away most impressed by Thomas and Gasparotto.

Those 2 players have also represented Canada at the youth level before.  Can they play their way into the CMNT player pool to 40?

I suspect that one of them can and will.  

Jay Wheeldon is British. You also missed a number of Canadians who have been starting centre backs so far:

- Joel Waterman and Dominick Zator (Cavalry FC)

- Emile Legault (Pacific FC)

- Dan Gogarty (York9 FC)

- Chrisnovic N'Sa (HFX Wanderers FC)

- Jordan Murrell (Valour FC)

Personally, I don't think any CPL centre back is in any serious consideration for the senior team.

Gogarty.... All right i feel like we're trying to force it now. 

Some of these guys are first year pros, some of these guys have played consistently in the USL prior and didn't get a sniff. 

Now because we have our own league, and played a few games there's a bunch of deserving players. 

I get that it's good for relevancy for the league, but it has to be deserving. I'm curious as to who would be on some of yalls 14 man defender list. 

35 minutes ago, Shway said:

Gogarty.... All right i feel like we're trying to force it now. 

Some of these guys are first year pros, some of these guys have played consistently in the USL prior and didn't get a sniff. 

Now because we have our own league, and played a few games there's a bunch of deserving players. 

I get that it's good for relevancy for the league, but it has to be deserving. I'm curious as to who would be on some of yalls 14 man defender list. 

No one is suggesting Gogarty. I was the only one who mentioned him and that was only because I was listing current Canadian starting centre backs in the CPL. I mentioned in the same post that I don't think any CPL centre back is under consideration for a call up.

So, with the GC about a month away, and no friendlies announced yet (at least not to my knowledge), are we seriously thinking that we won't play a single game ahead of the tournament???

This seems absolutely CRAZY to me ... even if we have 1 "closed door" friendly, that seems unacceptable!  Does anyone have more insight into this?  Have they just not announced anything yet ... it would seem late at this point, no???

1 closed door friendly, or a friendly against a minnow to me would be unacceptable as well. 

In 2017 we played Curaçao in a friendly before the tournament to prepare to ensure we beat French Guiana. IMO we shouldn't be preparing to face Cuba or Martinique, that's what the nation's league was for. We should get a quality opponent to prepare for Mexico but I won't be surprised if we won't - tphe budget won't allow it I guess. 

In 2017, it appears as the friendly vs Curacao was announced in March and that edition of the tournament started a month later than this years Gold Cup.

I think OZ was able to convince CSA of an additional closed door scrimmage on very short notice.  This may be all we get this year as well at best.

The frustrating things is that this is happening when we finally have a team with real potential.  I get that we need to prioritize the big events like WCQ, but this tournament is one of the few chances to have our guys play hard competitive minutes as a team.  This IS preparation for the 2022 WCQ cycle.  I am not a Herdman basher, but all the talk of putting a "system" into place means nothing if you don't let the guys at the top of the pyramid play to their full potential.  At some point, we need to start doing the things that will start bringing success, rather than just establishing the pre-conditions for it. 

20 hours ago, Corazon said:

Orlando City: Johnson, Tesho & Miller all start and play 90 in a loss.  Good to see Miller get some more minutes.

Thanks for providing the table. It's really informative.

Not sure if Miller's minutes played is correct. Should it not be 360 based on the 4 matches played?

5 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

Thanks for providing the table. It's really informative.

Not sure if Miller's minutes played is correct. Should it not be 360 based on the 4 matches played?

Thanks for spotting.  Had the 3 & 6 mixed up.