General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

My bet is on zero CPL players. Too soon. No one has proven anything, save for the players who already have caps. None of them are really anywhere close on the depth chart either at the moment I’d think tho anyways. DeJong closest if not for injury. Sorry to say, but give it time. 

12 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

My bet is on zero CPL players. Too soon. No one has proven anything, save for the players who already have caps. None of them are really anywhere close on the depth chart either at the moment I’d think tho anyways. DeJong closest if not for injury. Sorry to say, but give it time. 

With a 40 man provisional roster it could happen but I too believe that we have too much depth at this point.

38 minutes ago, Corazon said:

It will be interesting to see which CPL players make the provisional roster.  With the roster set to be announced in just over a week, most CPL teams will only have played 2 or 3 games.

Too small of a sample size really but yes of course we want to see CPL players on the provisional roster, it boosts the league's image 

32 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Will be awesome to see after year 1, which U21 players stand out and move on to better leagues and how we do at the Olympic qualifiers, expect to be CPL heavy 

As far as NT goes, difficult but not impossible to add 1 or 2 to a 23 man squad for nations league, Herdman said in an interview with SN that his priority was the 17-23 age category, so don't expect to see guys like Bekker and such even if they're part of the best XI etc 

1 hour ago, soccer.shocker said:

Petrasso??  Wasnt that long ago he was getting calls...

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Petrasso??  Wasnt that long ago he was getting calls...

The problem with him is the position he plays. He was getting calls at right back but he doesn’t play there anymore and others have stepped up (Brault Guillard and Godhino). 

Right now as a forward he as a lot of players in front of him.

3 hours ago, HochelagaFC said:

The problem with him is the position he plays. He was getting calls at right back but he doesn’t play there anymore and others have stepped up (Brault Guillard and Godhino). 

Right now as a forward he as a lot of players in front of him.

Did he ever play much RB??  Zambrano had him there as a experiment out of need, but I'm not sure he might not make the 40 roster again.  RB still isnt a very deep spot, wouldnt take more than one guy getting hurt and it would be a scramble again.  

7 hours ago, Corazon said:

It will be interesting to see which CPL players make the provisional roster.  With the roster set to be announced in just over a week, most CPL teams will only have played 2 or 3 games.

Does the CSA even release the provisional roster to the public?

They released a 40 man roster for the 2017 Gold Cup so I am expecting a release this year as well.

At RB, we really do not have a player consistently playing but ZBG is getting more starts now in Montreal.  If Godinho is playing for Hearts he should be a lock but its been awhile.  We also have both Laryea & Cordova getting minutes in quality leagues.  Not sure if Godinho has lost his spot but there couldnt be a worse time to be benched/injured while the other 3 are getting minutes leading up to the tournament.

12 hours ago, Corazon said:

They released a 40 man roster for the 2017 Gold Cup so I am expecting a release this year as well.

At RB, we really do not have a player consistently playing but ZBG is getting more starts now in Montreal.  If Godinho is playing for Hearts he should be a lock but its been awhile.  We also have both Laryea & Cordova getting minutes in quality leagues.  Not sure if Godinho has lost his spot but there couldnt be a worse time to be benched/injured while the other 3 are getting minutes leading up to the tournament.

It does look like Godinho has lost his spot. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Hearts lose their starting right back to injury at the start of the year, paving the way for Godinho? Now he is back, do I have that right?

Either way, he's a young player and Hearts are trying to qualify for Europe in Scotland's Championship round. It's disappointing, but unsurprising he lost his spot. Gent are also in the same situation in Belgium and David started from the bench last match. Better than not making the squad, I know, but it just illustrates the point that young players have these moments.

I have consistently said that ZBG is ahead of Godinho, irrespective of recent playing time, and I stick to that until Godinho shows me otherwise. He's a great alternative to Zachary and I believe he will make the squad, if fit, and I think Herdman will go with whoever proves best in training, but it's hard to bet against ZBG.

I am not shitting on Godinho, I really like him as a player, and I trust him to do a job against our foes in concacaf, but you can't start both of these guys at Rb.

The other thing I want to add is that ZBG is always consistent when he plays, regardless of whether he plays often or not. That is the mark of a good player. I missed the last Montreal game, so I don't know how he did, but every game I have seen him play he has been remarkably consistent, whereas Godinho has made more mistakes while playing with Hearts. I guess you could make an argument that Hearts is the higher level, but I think it's similar enough that we'd be splitting hairs to suggest that and let Godinho off the hook for his errors (which are not too frequent, but certainly more than ZBG).

Edited by Obinna

I couldn't agree more.  ZBG actually may have lost a player in one of the goals against a few days ago but he has been consistent with his play.  If Godinho becomes a regular with Hearts and ZBG doesn't become the regular starter for Montreal it could easily be Godinho's spot to lose.  I think the biggest factor weighing in on this debate it that Herdman took a chance on an uncapped ZBG and he has earned that spot, regardless of whether the competition of the Nations League was low.

I would like to see Godinho, Cordova &/or Laryea get into a friendly game or two before the Gold Cup.  Or at least get some training with the NT in front of the coaching staff.  This applies to many positions on our team but more specifically to our backline.  We may see one or two surprises in the midfield/attack but for me those positions are close to being set.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Forgotten man Massih Wassey is still at Paderborn, who are in an automatic promotion spot into the Bundesliga with only a few games left in the season. Do we talk about calling him up if he becomes a Bundesliga player?

I think he must have been refusing call ups. It would be ridiculous for him not have been called over the last few years considering some of the others players who have.

He wont become a bundesliga player..turning 31 and was sent to the second team in fifth tier after his return from injury..didnt play a single 2. bundesliga game so even if they move up he will move down somewhere..shelton as predicted is not seeing the light of day with their first team and was also sent to the second team

There are only two matches left in the season plus the Cup Final for Godinho and Hearts.  The season has really gone south since an excellent start to the season and although this would be a good time for him to get some time in the first XI, I don’t see him getting much playing time.  I just don’t get the sense the manager trusts him.

13 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

will be interested to see any CPL players called up .

I think we will see some on the 40 man, but probably not any on the final squad. I think, politically, it makes sense for Herdman to reward the CPL with some names on the 40 man. It is harmless in terms of actual final squad selection, but it props up the league to viewers and to players as legitimate.

However, I am struggling to think of which player has the best chance of actually making the squad right now. There are ex internationals (Kyle Bekker, Michael Petrasso, Marcus Haber) that I am not sure will be a part of the plan moving forward, youth internationals (Noah Verhoeven, Emile Legault, Tristan Borges) who probably aren't good enough for the national team yet, and guys who were not on the radar but have impressed early in the CPL season (Connor James, Joel Waterman, Kadell Thomas). If I had to guess, maybe Diego Gutierrez is closest to a call up due to his impressive play and the fact that he plays a position that is thin for us.

Here's my 40 man prediction list. 

GOALKEEPERS(5):

Milan Borjan, Maxime Crepeau, Simon Thomas, Jayson Leutwiller, Nathan Ingham

DEFENDERS (13):

Manjrekar James, Doneil Henry, Derek Cornelius, Zachary Brault-Guillard, Sam Adekugbe, David Edgar, Kamal Miller, Marcus Godinho, Ashtone Morgan, Dejan Jaković, Andrew Hainault, Clément Bayiha, Juan Cordova

MIDFIELDERS (13):

Atiba Hutchinson, Scott Arfield, Samuel Piette, Alphonso Davies, Jonathan Osorio, Junior Hoilett, Mark-Anthony Kaye, David Wotherspoon, Russell Teibert, Jay Chapman, Liam Fraser, Will Johnson, Shamit Shome, 

FOWARDS (9): 

Cyle Larin, Lucas Cavallini, Jonathan David, Ballou Tabla, Liam Millar, Tossaint Ricketts, Tesho Akindele, Anthony Jackson -Hamel, Jordan Hamilton 

- 33 of these players have been called up by Herdman before. 

- 1 CPL player 

- It was hard trying to put some of the CPL players in (Thomas, Telfer, Petrasso), over some of the fringe MLS players. The thing is when those fringe players have gotten the chance to perform, they have and the level of play is higher. I even left out a few more fringe guys Tajon Buchanan, Raheem Edwards, and Clèment Bayiha. The reality our midfield and attack are very congested with quality players — the back line should be easier to break into. 

Edited by Shway

16 hours ago, Big_M said:

He wont become a bundesliga player..turning 31 and was sent to the second team in fifth tier after his return from injury..didnt play a single 2. bundesliga game so even if they move up he will move down somewhere..shelton as predicted is not seeing the light of day with their first team and was also sent to the second team

Thanks for the report there. I definitely haven't been keeping tabs on that guy, but happy someone else has.

Outside of somehow convincing the club he belongs when/if they promote, the best case scenario may be that he leverages Paderborn's Bundesliga promotion into a high level opportunity elsewhere. 

Will be curious to see what happens.

16 hours ago, JamboAl said:

There are only two matches left in the season plus the Cup Final for Godinho and Hearts.  The season has really gone south since an excellent start to the season and although this would be a good time for him to get some time in the first XI, I don’t see him getting much playing time.  I just don’t get the sense the manager trusts him.

If there are only 2 matches left, the season is basically done now anyways. Obviously it would be best if he played in the remaining games, but at this point perhaps it is too late for Godinho, Tabla, Larin and others to make up for their extended absences.

It is unfortunate for them, because it may prove difficult to come into camp and compete against ZBG, Miller and Cavallini, who all have been getting those minutes.

Edited by Obinna

I still think Larin makes the cut as he is training at an elite club.  He isn't Davies and it isn't Bayern but I put both of them in the same category where their history and their club level trumps their lack of playing time.  Tabla is disappointing because he isn't cutting it in a lower tier but my guess is that he still makes the squad.   Godinho to me will also likely make it because the lack of depth in the position but I hope both Cordova or Laryea or someone else comes into the 40 man roster and makes a push.  Being from Toronto I hope Laryea makes the 40 man roster but two professional games at right back isn't enough.  Hopefully we see him play twice in the next 10 days (4 games).

I get the feeling that our final 23 man roster will be similar to our previous  Nations League rosters with maybe a couple surprise selections.  We've only played 5 games under Herdman and essentially with all the same players.  To make changes to the program right before a large tournament does not make sense to me.  We are already handicapped by the fact most other CONCACAF nations have played double the amount of games together.  I think he's gonna run with the players hes been using.  This 40 man roster will give us an idea of the fringe players hes looking at and I expect more changes for Nations League Games and future friendlies.

As anticipated Toronto FC essentially played with 8 reserve players tonight and it showed.  Very poor performance but good to see lots of Canadian's get playing time.  Chapman & Fraser were okay in the midfield at best.  Akinola was lively at times but needs to start finishing.  Osorio came on and was not very good besides he exceptional dive.  Morgan was just bad.  TFC defenders were left out to dry all game against against some of the best MLS attacking players in the league but Laryea was probably the lone bright spot in the game.  I like what I see from him at right back.

Montreal starting AJH, Piette, Shome & ZBG tonight as well.

Tajon starting again for New England.