General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Richie Laryea in the XI VS Chicago Fire in MLS Action

TFC have converted him from a RM to a RB and plan on using him there from now on, now with Cordova and ZBG not playing for their respective clubs and Godihno with Hearts being the only solid option at this point in time and Petrasso/Aird long gone from the picture in the position, could Laryea put himself in the conversation should gp he get enough playing time? Will be interesting to see what happens 

Edited by Blackjack15

• 2 weeks later...

So I was thinking about Qatar 2022 and its qualifiers already and it's fair to say Mexico and USA have always been 1 & 2. Costa Rica and Honduras have had a dominant presence with strong results in our region but Panama however is the one I think we can go after and be better than. (Not saying we won't go after CR or H but if we want to be TOP FIVE in Concacaf we need draw comparisons to what we have vs what our opponents have)

Okay so, 

Panama had 5 KEY players retire from the NT; they are - 

GK - Jaime Penedo (37 yo and 130 caps)

DF - Felipe Baloy (38yo, 99 caps and 4 goals)

MF - Gabriel Gomez (34yo, 141 caps and 11 goals)

FW - Blas Perez (38yo, 116 caps, and 43 goals) 

FW - Luis Tejeda (34yo, 104 caps, and 43 goals) 

Other players are either thinking about retiring soon / not being considered by the coach at the moment because of lack of playing time with their clubs / discarding themselves for the new cycle ahead or simply just questionable. They are ⤵️

GK - Jose Calderon (33yo, and 33 caps), (DF - Roman Torres (33 yo, 110 caps, and 10 goals) & DF - Adolfo Machado (34yo, 79 caps and 2 goals)

All of the players above have been HUGE blows To their squad and have hurt their team being hard to replace. They've been testing new players in friendlies, and it's safe to say that they have Just enough to compete but are a weaker in terms of roster quality as they had more pieces before. Still good players but lack of depth. On paper Canada is stronger? Decide for yourself. I really believe that we can compete against them and win

Now they do have a few omissions (5) 

Midfielders - Cristian Martinez of Chicago Fire in the MLS, Edgar Barcenas of Oviedo of the Spanish segunda, forwards - Alfredo Stephens | Santa Clara in Primeira Liga (Portugal), Ricardo Clarke playing in the Paraguayan league and Rolando Blackburn in Bolivia's top tier. The rest play in Panama, USL, mexico's Ascenso, Venezuela and lower leagues in Europe. So not bad but great either, very limited player pool - about 20 decent footballers 

is Canada better as of now? I'd like to see us play them soon to find out 

This is their current 18 man squad:

image.jpeg

Edited by Blackjack15

On 4/2/2019 at 9:54 AM, Kent said:

Sandor's site (the11.ca) hasn't been updated in 4 weeks. He did tabulate minutes played in North American leagues the last few years. I wonder if he is taking some time off, perhaps to be able to be fresh once the CPL and in particular FC Edmonton season starts. Hopefully he's not giving up on it.

I enjoyed keeping up with the lists as well - miss them @stevensandor

I would like to point of four players in europe that in the second half of year (July - ) could make a big jump in level, club and league. To get themselves in the radar of the National Team picture.

• Hanson Boakai - playing in the Veikauslliga with Inter Turku has seen his best in Europe as he's gotten back after Rocky stints in Sweden, Romania, and Italy/Croatia which never materialized. Now Playing first tier football, given time off the bench is a great opportunity for him to step up and be one of the best in this league and make the jump a Bigger league. At age 23, still has lots of potential. Let's see how his 2019 season goes
  • Dario Zanatta - After a stellar season on loan in the championship with Alloa, expect his parent club Hearts to have him at training camp and consider him part of the squad for the 2019-2020 season. The Victoria Native has already played 13 games in the premiership, 4 as starts and the other 9 small amount of minutes off the bench. The more likely scenario would be that he is loaned to mid table, lower end premiership team. The Jambos recently just renewed him to a contract until 2020, showing they believe in him, he is just 21 years old.
  • Caniggia Elva - After spending 3 years Stuttgart's reserves he signed on with Wurzburger Kickers in 3.Liga; he had quite the slow start to his season, but the second half has been truly sensational. Smashing performances as a super sub earned him a spot in the XI and he hasn't looked back since, scoring goals and assists in most of the games he's been involved in. His contract expires this summer, According to a German article that was shared by Canucks abroad on twitter, various first division clubs in Europe are vying for his services, Austria and Switzerland most notably. Scandinavia also, should he make the jump and do well, I would not be surprised if he received a call in the fall when Canada plays Nations League.
  • Kris Twardek - After being in part of Millwall's first teams in League One and Championship he was loaned out to Carlisle United in a League Two which he played a dozen games and scoring a goal, he represented Czech Republic at U17, U18, U19. Switched his allegiance to Canada in 2016, playing in U20's and the U21's at the Toloun tournament. He has 2 caps to his name for the senior team (Oct 2017 vs ES & March 2018 vs NZ). Now currently in Ireland with a expiring contract, rumours are swirling he's in talks with a Czech First League club. Should he sign, he's one to watch out for. Depth in the midfield could be emerging 
Edited by Blackjack15

Boakai just went up from second tier, has a contract till end of season, season is until november and is a backup for now so unlikely hes making a big jump in level in that period

Unlikely also for Twardek..mostly a sub past 5 games..got a start today with a number of players out after the game on friday..and his team is 8th of 10

8 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

• Kris Twardek -  Now currently in Ireland with a expiring contract, rumours are swirling he's in talks with a Czech First League club. Should he sign, he's one to watch out for. Depth in the midfield could be emerging 

Really? Any source to these rumours?

On 4/1/2019 at 4:27 PM, Club Linesman said:

Thanks for doing this!  Miss the Canadian Power Rankings - are those no longer being calculated.  Believe it was done by Steven Sandor on one of the Canadian soccer sites.  It is interesting to compare the number of minutes Canadians are getting in MLS and USL ... from year to year.

Maybe this is unofficial confirmation that Steve Sandor isn't compiling these stats anymore. Here is an article from him on the CPL website.

https://canpl.ca/article/vision-to-reality-canadian-premier-league-kicks-off-next-chapter-in-our-soccer-story

"What will it mean? No longer will we need to fret all that much about how much on-field time Canadians are getting in MLS or USL. Sure, we’ll still be applauding the efforts of Canadians in the league, but we no longer need to rely on them to be our developmental bases. The foundation of our professional development plan will now be the CPL."

I agree with him. I don't care about playing time in these other leagues nearly as much as I used to. I mean sure, for any given individual I want them to get as much game time as possible, but really for me the tabulating of those minutes played was more about illustrating the need to have our own league. Pointing out that sure we have a few teams in Canada, but even those teams don't play Canadians that much.

11 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

There was article somewhere in Czech and I translated via Google, turns out a assistant coach on the Czech U17 team is part of a club in the top tier and asked about Twardek, that's all I know 

Do you happen to remember where you found the article?  If not, it is okay.

7 hours ago, Shway said:

I hope we don't play Suriname and call it good warmup. 

That will probably the type of opponent we'll be playing. 

I expect us, at the very minimum, to be a tough out in the QFs.  With this line up, we should be in the semis, and beyond.  If we crap the bed, then there'll be plenty of fingerpointing at the coaching staff and some favourite whipping boy players.. 

Beautiful goal by Osorio today.  3 goals & 4 assists in 8 games this season for him.  Chapman getting some minutes and a goal as well.

Glad to see the both Doneil Henry & Jonathan Osorio having great seasons.  I'm sure there will still be some to find ways to criticize the two but they'be both been very good this year.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Beautiful goal by Osorio today.  3 goals & 4 assists in 8 games this season for him.  Chapman getting some minutes and a goal as well.

Glad to see the both Doneil Henry & Jonathan Osorio having great seasons.  I'm sure there will still be some to find ways to criticize the two but they'be both been very good this year.

Sublime first touch by Chapman on his goal...mini Bergkamp? 

The 40-man provisional roster will be released on May 14th/15th

Looking forward to see that list! I would say our best 30 players are playing in MLS (CDN & US Teams) and Euro Div 1. But past  really an unknown. Herdman has been closely watching CPL Games, we need to see at least 2-3 in their to give the league some exposure and raise its credibility 

Edited by Blackjack15

55 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

The 40-man provisional roster will be released on May 14th/15th

Looking forward to see that list! I would say our best 30 players are playing in MLS (CDN & US Teams) and Euro Div 1. But past  really an unknown. Herdman has been closely watching CPL Games, we need to see at least 2-3 in their to give the league some exposure and raise its credibility 

Thinking Gasparatto for CB, maybe Thomas

Borges should be considered too

Edited by Ansem