General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

After this match vs FG on Sunday, things will be much more competitive and meaningful 

Heres the path to Qatar 2022:

Gold Cup 2019  (June-Jul) 

Concacaf Nations League - Group A (Sept - Nov) Possible January Camp and March 2020 if we reach Semis if not filled by 2 window friendlies)

Copa America 2020 - (June/July) *Canada will either qualify or get invited as one of the 6 teams from CONCACAF* Format is still unknown, experience will be very valuable 

World Cup Qualifying begins - Sept 2020

Gold Cup 2021 (June/July)

World Cup Qualifying ends - Nov 2021

Possible January Camp 2022

Intercontinetal playoffs - March 2022 (CONCACAF 4 vs AFC 5)

June-October (Friendlies, 2 windows available each)

FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 (Nov-Dec)

Boy am I excited with the group that we have!

That 2020 Copa America as of right now isn't happening in the format you think it is, I'd be surprised if there's a Jan camp considering we haven't had one for two years. Most teams are scheduling pre- GC friendlies. Watch us do nothing. Nothing has been announced as far as friendlies are concerned anyway. Fuck this whole situation.

Edited by Vince193

23 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Most teams are scheduling pre- GC friendlies. Watch us do nothing. Nothing has been announced as far as friendlies are concerned anyway. Fuck this whole situation.

You could be right. The CSA announced the 2017 pre-GC friendly against Curacao on March 11th. 

20 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You could be right. The CSA announced the 2017 pre-GC friendly against Curacao on March 11th. 

Overall I'm pretty disgusted with CanSoc media these days. At least in the US have a group of reporters who regularly call out the USSF for their BS, and this is the same USSF who actually schedules friendlies for the US (through SUM).

There's a number of journos (and some of them go on this board) who have have happily told Herdman what a great powerpoint presenter he is (while throwing Zambrano under the bus) and have not questioned him or the CSA on the lack of games scheduled for the teams all from u17 to the senior men. All because they don't want to lose their access.

We aren't better than Costa Rica. We aren't even better than Panama and Honduras. Hell I feel like based on how little our players play together they'd have a rough time against the likes of El Salvador. Davies made his debut two years ago and hasn't even hit 10 caps yet. Our players have such crappy numbers cap-wise because they all get together only on official dates for one game that only allows us 3 subs. 

Yesterday the US played against Ecuador and had a bunch of players get caps and experience. They have another game coming up too. Jamaica has a friendly coming up to go with their nations league matches. Where the hell does the CSA come off patting themselves on the back saying what a good job they're doing when they aren't doing shit? This is so frustrating as a supporter. And no one talks about it, no one who matters, anyway.

Edited by Vince193

I agree for the most part however, I think it has less to do with journalists scared to lose access and more to do with the fact that there's such a small appetite for the content we're talking about. Journalists what to create content that's consumable by as many people as possible and a piece about the CSA's inability or unwillingness to schedule friendlies or call certain players would not be of interest to the vast majority of soccer fans in this country. Articles about up and coming stars, players doing well overseas, human interest, etc... are more appealing to a wider audience. The CanMNT is probably on par with junior hockey in terms of interest and "ability to move the needle" and the content we receive is a reflection of that. 

34 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Where the hell does the CSA come off patting themselves on the back saying what a good job they're doing when they aren't doing shit? This is so frustrating as a supporter. And no one talks about it, no one who matters, anyway.

Not sure what you're basing this off. I don't see the CSA patting themselves on the back, I genuinely believe that they realize the realities of running a NT program in this country. At the very least you have to assume that those in charge at the CSA genuinely want the best outcomes for our men's national team, and in their minds they're doing all that they can to achieve that. There's obviously a lack of resources that we're not privy to because there's no logical reason to play as little as we do. There's also questions of judgement if rumours like the Nike vs Marcon decision are to be believed. All of that is frustrating but what I realized is that stressing about the things we can't control or don't know only leads to more frustration. Some of these things have been prevalent in the past and nothing has changed and they'll be prevalent in the future because every organization will have a certain level of ineptness. 

This is an amazing time in Canadian soccer, we actually have real hope. A ton of promising talent, including attacking talent, a new league, quality dual nationals committing, a program with a never before seen cohesive direction, etc... We'll be playing more games soon so try to stay positive and enjoy the ride!

And I'm sure the usual suspects will call me an apologist for this but I'm not, I'm frustrated with the CSA as well, I just try not to let it manifest itself negatively.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I  was asking what folks thought about this sort of player in the CPL, since they are Canadians, but have chosen another country to represent. Not that Miki would necessarily make that move. 

He was with Getafe u-19s, had a bad knee injury, came back and signed with a 3rd tier team, Guadalajara. But they relegated. Since then he has been in the north of Spain in 4th tier. I agree it is too low for a NT call-up, although he does have some talent down the wing.

After we ignored him for the NZ friendly, played in Spain, he quickly made the move for Haiti. I think, frankly, his tier is really too low for them as well.

Here are Haiti's midfielders. You can see why he got the call-up. Qarabag is a big club, the others... 

7 MF Wilde-Donald Guerrier 31 March 1989 (age 29) 43 9 Azerbaijan Qarabağ
8 MF Zachary Herivaux 2 January 1996 (age 23) 4 0 United States New England Revolution
10 MF Charles Hérold Jr. 23 July 1990 (age 28) 20 3 Dominican Republic Cibao FC
14 MF Jimmy-Shammar Sanon 24 January 1997 (age 22) 3 0 Unnattached
15 MF Mikaël Cantave 25 October 1996 (age 22) 3 1 Spain Tropezón
17 MF Soni Mustivar 12 February 1990 (age 29) 14 2 Azerbaijan Neftchi Baku
23 MF Bryan Alceus 1 February 1996 (age 23) 5 0 France Entente SSG

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

Overall I'm pretty disgusted with CanSoc media these days. At least in the US have a group of reporters who regularly call out the USSF for their BS, and this is the same USSF who actually schedules friendlies for the US (through SUM).

There's a number of journos (and some of them go on this board) who have have happily told Herdman what a great powerpoint presenter he is (while throwing Zambrano under the bus) and have not questioned him or the CSA on the lack of games scheduled for the teams all from u17 to the senior men. All because they don't want to lose their access.

We aren't better than Costa Rica. We aren't even better than Panama and Honduras. Hell I feel like based on how little our players play together they'd have a rough time against the likes of El Salvador. Davies made his debut two years ago and hasn't even hit 10 caps yet. Our players have such crappy numbers cap-wise because they all get together only on official dates for one game that only allows us 3 subs. 

Yesterday the US played against Ecuador and had a bunch of players get caps and experience. They have another game coming up too. Jamaica has a friendly coming up to go with their nations league matches. Where the hell does the CSA come off patting themselves on the back saying what a good job they're doing when they aren't doing shit? This is so frustrating as a supporter. And no one talks about it, no one who matters, anyway.

Well, you, and about 4 other guys on this board are talking about it...every fucking single day. And on just about every single thread in this section, too. For the past few months, about 20% of the new posts on this forum seem to be your little group saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....

We get it. The CSA should be scheduling more friendlies. We all want it to happen, and are frustrated that it's not. But bitching and moaning about it constantly is actually less interesting than reading the daft shit that Robert barfs out on here.

7 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Here are Haiti's midfielders. You can see why he got the call-up. Qarabag is a big club, the others... 

7 MF Wilde-Donald Guerrier 31 March 1989 (age 29) 43 9 Azerbaijan Qarabağ
8 MF Zachary Herivaux 2 January 1996 (age 23) 4 0 United States New England Revolution
10 MF Charles Hérold Jr. 23 July 1990 (age 28) 20 3 Dominican Republic Cibao FC
14 MF Jimmy-Shammar Sanon 24 January 1997 (age 22) 3 0 Unnattached
15 MF Mikaël Cantave 25 October 1996 (age 22) 3 1 Spain Tropezón
17 MF Soni Mustivar 12 February 1990 (age 29) 14 2 Azerbaijan Neftchi Baku
23 MF Bryan Alceus 1 February 1996 (age 23) 5 0 France Entente SSG

Thanks, surprising the level, you are right. We might play Cibao with our CPL teams this April, by the way. 

Miki is young, so I guess that is a factor. Tropezón is in a promotion playoff spot, and well positioned to stay there, so we may still see him playing in 3rd tier next season.

4 hours ago, Vince193 said:

I think this is what makes me nervous about Herdman as a coach. There has been such an emphasis on "motivation" and "mentality" with him that it's as though they think it's an easy fix - just change the mentality and belief on the players and that will solve everything. There was  quote from Herdman from a couple of months ago where they said that they did a statistical analysis that proved that Canada was in the top 5 countries in the region in terms of producing talent over the past 20 or so years (based on the level of player that our players were playing at), presented as some sort of proof that the talent is there, but the mentality is wrong.

Unfortunately a far more significant statistical analysis is wins, goals scored, goals conceded and games played. I wonder if Herdman has done a statistical analysis which shows that the fewer games you play, the more successful and accomplished you are. That might then explain the current CSA/Herdman strategy for the men which, by the end of this month, will have seen us play as few games as we possibly can in the preceding 12 months, the same number as the Turks and Caicos and Sint Maarten seem to be able to afford.

I haven't seen any signs that the CSA have been patting themselves on the back over this mind you (unless we're counting Herdman in that regard) but I do agree that the Canadian soccer media & pundits should be making a lot more noise about this than they have so far. I'm not sure that it's even purely a case of "access journalism" because some of the people in the media were complaining that they never got access to the full story from the CSA as to what the hell happened to Zambrano.

Frankly, I have no idea if we are better than Honduras or Panama or not. The last time we played either of those teams was a draw against Honduras in the Gold Cup, which was almost two years ago, with a different coach and a different roster and feels like a different era altogether. We simply haven't tested ourselves against teams of that quality under Herdman.

Edited by Gian-Luca

It's just been so damn long since we played a non-minnow. Don't get me wrong, it's be fantastic for our NT to be on a winning streak (and not a 'calendar year without a goal' streak) but I can't wait for Nations League where we can have matches against the best in our region 

3 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

I dont think the US has announced a pre-Gold Cup friendly opponent....would love for Canada to be that opponent provided they aren't in the same GC Group 

Why can't we be in their group?  I think that is the group we are hoping to be in.

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Jesus.....so many buzzwords one one page.......

All top Cdn corporations use these buzzwords and do these type of strategy/vision placemats. 

Wouldn't anyone want CSA to be on par with how a top Cdn corp is run and be able to deliver deliver consistently successful results.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, red card said:

All top Cdn corporations use these buzzwords and do these type of strategy/vision placemats. 

Wouldn't anyone want CSA to be on par with how a top Cdn corp is run and be able to deliver deliver consistently successful results.

Sorry but that is a ridiculous and also false statement. Corporations succeed because they have good leadership, a good product. good marketing and a good strategy not because they are using buzzwords. There may be some that believe in using buzzwords and motivational talks to motivate employees but it certainly is not all top Cdn corporations in fact I think it is a minority of them. And even where such strategies may work I would not want the buzzword/motivational guy to be the CEO of the company.  Not to mention that there are many large differences between how a soccer team operates and a corporation operates.

Grizzly's right, buzzwords are a bunch of BS. I work for a major oil company and we have posters with all kinds of slogans on our meeting room walls from each years safety campaign focusing on various perceived safety shortfalls. These campaigns have led to more and more paperwork and less time on tools for our contractors. It's nonsense. The best predictor of success and safety is finding competent, experienced people who give a shit about doing a good job. Same goes for the CMNT. Herdman's buzzwords are cheap chatter, give me good players who give a shit and a coach who knows what he's doing.

These aren't akin to posters in the breakroom (except for More Atibas, More Often). This is about telling your whole organization about what you stand for, where you're heading and how you'll get there. Basically, it tells everyone where to spend the calories human and moneywise.

Developing these type of statements is part of good leadership, and the road to good products, relevant marketing and well-received branding. 

We all have complained about the CSA not being managed properly. This placemat shows they're finally showing they're at least starting to think like a professional org. 

Edited by red card

52 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Grizzly's right, buzzwords are a bunch of BS. I work for a major oil company and we have posters with all kinds of slogans on our meeting room walls from each years safety campaign focusing on various perceived safety shortfalls. These campaigns have led to more and more paperwork and less time on tools for our contractors. It's nonsense. The best predictor of success and safety is finding competent, experienced people who give a shit about doing a good job. Same goes for the CMNT. Herdman's buzzwords are cheap chatter, give me good players who give a shit and a coach who knows what he's doing.

Synergize our core competencies.

Oh come on...."synergizing our system, talent exceleration strategy, elite coach education"..leads to "new cdn heroes, more atibas, sustained success, investment in youth".  

This is the cheer leading, TED talk baloney, that looks like it took 5min of brain storming with a couple marketing guys to come up with. How can you think a power point presentation with this kind of crap is good leadership?  Slogans and buzzwords..there better be something alot better on the next 3-4 slides in that presentation or we are going to squander our talent on the field and any kind of momentum the program is building.