General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Tomori announcing a switch to Canada as a rules change makes perfect sense:

- Canada hosting the next World Cup 

- European leagues developing the North American market, making AC Milan North America’s team (Musah, Pulisic, Tomori, David transfer announced next month)

- opens the floodgates of one time switches during the peak of the summer transfer buzz period

- Southgate losing out on one of England’s best CBs will lead to enough media pressure to finally get him to resign and move over to the club game, taking a job that will lead to the chain reaction that results in Chelsea, Bayern, etc. getting their new coaches 

- it’s not coming home (Except Tomori)

- allowing an irrelevant twitter account to break the news shows FIFA’s commitment to grassroots reporting in underdeveloped soccer markets 

- he is Ike Ugbo’s best friend- what a beautiful story to give to the soccer world 

Much talk about a delay because of a dual-nat.  As much as I love the possibility of a major piece joining, I wonder, is it possible Marsch needed a few more hours, since, you know, he kinda just joined?

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

By the way, I wonder why we don't just announce the squad in these situations, then make an announcement of an additional player. That way, the release is not held up, but also they can make a second press release and make a story out of whatever new player they are bringing in, big or small. 

One thing that makes me doubt the rumours but what do I know. 

This is the most excitement we have had in a while. So many unknowns.

I expect to see the holdup being the return of UNATTACHED Doniel Henry

In all reality its probably nothing. But the dream list would be

1. Sigur (just cause of need in the midfield)

2. Kolescho

3. Jebbison

4. Tani

5. Holmes

6. Pos

7. Farsi

11 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

This is the most excitement we have had in a while. So many unknowns.

I expect to see the holdup being the return of UNATTACHED Doniel Henry

In all reality its probably nothing. But the dream list would be

2. Kolescho

3. Jebbison

4. Tani

5. Holmes

6. Pos

7. Farsi

I am hoping both of these guys don't have any technical holdups. The rest of them potentially would, but Farsi and Tani have never played with another nation, and in the case of Tani he's never played internationally, period. 

But maybe Tani doesn't actually have his passport, and maybe Farsi already signed his life away to Algeria?

18 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

But the dream list would be

2. Kolescho

Ya, this one is tough.  Koleosho has played in EPL at 19 and looked like he belonged.  Sigur is a year older but a position we really really need help in.  I feel both would probably be in the 11 today.

10 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ya, this one is tough.  Koleosho has played in EPL at 19 and looked like he belonged.  Sigur is a year older but a position we really really need help in.  I feel both would probably be in the 11 today.

Who do you drop for Koleosho?

Playing in EPL and La Liga as a teen is impressive, but do we drop Buchanan for him? I doubt it. Millar vs Koleosho would be an interesting battle, which Luca would arguably win, but Millar is not a guarenteed starter right now as it is. 

Sigur obviously walks into the 3rd midfielder spot. 

If the holdup is indeed due to a dual, it would have to be a significant player, otherwise as Obinna mentioned, why not simply add a  name to the squad a few days later. If the former, the media release would probably be highlighted by the new "big player addition" which undoubtedly would bring more attention to the roster release and be a plus  for Marsch...start with a bang.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Playing in EPL and La Liga as a teen is impressive, but do we drop Buchanan for him? I doubt it. Millar vs Koleosho would be an interesting battle, which Luca would arguably win, but Millar is not a guarenteed starter right now as it is. 

Sigur obviously walks into the 3rd midfielder spot. 

He wouldn't replace a starter but a back up for now. 

Posted (edited)

I’m sure we are all getting excited for nothing.  

I feel like the only player who would warrant the announcement would be Koleosho.  Despite attending camps in the past, its looked like he had been leaning away from Canada recently.  

I’d love for it to be Sigur given the need but for him in our midfield, however it seems highly unlikely he’d be included as a standby option for Croatia’s senior squad for Euro and even more unlikely he’d leave the U21 program right in the midst of a qualifying campaign that he’s heavily involved in.  The only way I’d see this is if he’s been guaranteed minutes at Copa America and that he’s already made his decision to join Canada after his youth days are done.

Jebbison I’ll be excited to finally get him on board.  But I also fully expect him to join our program eventually anyways.

For Tani, I believe he’s already eligible but Id be excited just to get him on board with Nigeria likely monitoring his progress.

Holmes would be great but I’d also have preferred if he was playing at League Championship level this past season.

For Pos, it would be a letdown since it already seemed we’d won his allegiances.  But his resume doesn’t excite me but I’m excited to see where he lands this summer and hopefully I’m pleasantly surprised.

Id like to have Farsi for our depth but that seems like a long shot given his recent statements.  Unless we’ve convinced him of a role at Copa with Laryea potentially out.

Edited by Corazon

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Building up for disappointment thinking their is a dual. There would have been more chatter from OS pundits with the inside track. 

Probably correct, but then again perhaps the CSA are keeping Wheels in the dark, given his negative comments about Marsch/MLS money etc. It sounded like KJ lost it with Wheeler re the above in the last OS panel discussion.

4 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Who is this Pos?

Former American U23 player. 1998 born CB. Starter for relegated Swiss Super League team Ouchy, who he reportedly will be departing given the relegation. 

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Honestly, I don't think it's worth us even spending 2 minutes on this deep dive.  I'd be thrilled, but I don't think it'll happen.