General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

4 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

So if De Jong and Davies go down we're playing with a Teibert, Bustos central midfield...

We'd be the first MLS team to finish a game with 10% possession.

Anyways, our positions are clear to each other at this point. I just think we need to focus less on a rule that pushes square pegs into round holes and more on developing circles.

10% possession! Way to exaggerate to fit your argument. If they are that bad, that would just force the Caps to..."develop harder"? Give more tryouts to Canadians rotting in USL/NASL or make more efforts to sign Canadians in other leagues abroad? 

But how dare I expect our 3 MLS clubs to work harder to play Canadians :rolleyes:

I'll give you another extreme to yours. AJH should have played way more minutes. Crepeau should have gotten more starts. Hell, even when both Giovinco and Altidore were out, Hamilton didn't even see any action, should I keep going?

Edited by Ansem

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

10% possession! Way to exaggerate to fit your argument. If they are that bad, that would just force the Caps to..."develop harder"? Give more tryouts to Canadians rotting in USL/NASL or make more efforts to sign Canadians in other leagues abroad? 

But how dare I expect our 3 MLS clubs to work harder to play Canadians :rolleyes:

I'll give you another extreme to yours. AJH should have played way more minutes. Crepeau should have gotten more starts. Hell, even when both Giovinco and Altidore were out, Hamilton didn't even see any action, should I keep going?

Ricketts did

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Suggesting Crepeau should have gotten more starts is an extreme position. The kid needs a loan, and a new set of hands.

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

why not both?

Something, something Ben Spencer.

14 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Suggesting Crepeau should have gotten more starts is an extreme position. The kid needs a loan, and a new set of hands.

Are the Impact making the playoffs? Bush had his load of difficult starts this season. Crepeau deserved to start more games. Nothing extreme about it, especially after his performance during the V Cup.

14 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Something, something Ben Spencer.

The American who has 0 goal in MLS and 1 goal this year (his first) with TFC II since 2015 got to play ahead of the Canadian who has 5 goals in MLS + 2 goals in the V Cup and 8 goals with TFC II since 2015.

Yep...nothing wrong with that picture :rolleyes:...but my bad...Spencer is "leagues" ahead of Hamilton right? Stupid me :(

Edited by Ansem

Wow  a lot to read....

I'm in agreement with @matty with having to push CMLS teams to have higher amount of Canadian playing. However I do believe that yes competition is quite important and that they should fight for their spots, but to many times I have seen our players play very well for 2-5 weeks and dropped for a starter returning from injuries. Why can't they keep on starting until they've been out trained or they keep pushing themselves to prove their worth knowing someone is clawing at them for that start. Heck case in point K. Bekker he got to play and played well, but was back on bench the moment a starter returned that's a bit unfair. Anyways I would think with now until 8 years from now CSA should have CMLS play with 4, if not more 5/6 players on the roster at all times. Could be 4 starters and 2 more on the bench or vice versa. Anyways with MLS trying to do more for Canadian clubs and increasing fan base, MLS may soon allow all CND players to be domestic players in the league. It is a tough situation, because for a fact TFC is a team who right now may not be the top team, but at same time if they had CnD players I'm sure they could of made the playoff. It's a tough situation and time will tell with the New CSA prez.

Any how CPL will obviously be a great situation for CND players, but yes we all know the quality will not be there from the start. Well we never know it might be better than we would expect it to be. Just wish that after the failed Canadian league that someone step up to make one in the 90's.

@Blackjack15 to answer your question If I were CSA Prez...

I would increase CMNT, CWNT, and Youth teams presence in the media. More games at homes to increase young fans and get them to see that they could make it as well. More tournaments for the youths and more friendlies for our Senior National teams. MLS would be my last thought, because my main focus is getting CPL up and running plus making sure it will be stable for 100+ years. 

25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Why not all 3? See where I'm going with this. Canadians are indeed too nice

If you watch Hamilton closely  when he gets a start he doesn't seem to put the same effort as when he comes off the bench. TBH when it comes to having a minimum no. of Canadians on the pitch this year anyways I'm divided. As a CMNT supporter I would love to see some kind of Canadian quota implemented, but as a TFC fan(this year anyways) I want them to play the best possible team to win the MLS Cup. If I remember correctly the CSA was in talks with MLS regarding this issue, but CSA decided not to force the issue. I think VM said that they re-visit this in a few years. Prior to this season TFC has given Canadians plenty of opportunities in the starting line-ups. This year is an exception for them as they really want to win the Cup. Whitecaps are in the same boat as they need to do well this year and have to go with the best possible team.

The forced extra playing time for the CMLS teams will not make as much of an impact as having a Canadian PROFESSIONAL league

here's the thing. almost everyone who is against a quota is saying so based on emotion rather than any form of logic that holds up. The only argument that could be had is winning increases local interest and talent similar to the early 2000s Raptors and 2010-now GTA player boom but the problem is none of these teams are anywhere near the early 2000s Raptors in terms of popularity so it's hard to say they'll cause the same effect.

The introduction of a quota is the best way to truly get the MLS teams producing high level talents and saying I want my team to win right now isn't a valid argument.

What an insane finish to the hex!!! I had the panama and Honduras games on at the same time. That was the most CONCACAFing I have ever seen! Absolute insanity! Fake injuries and pitch invaders galore! There wasn't a minute of football played in San Pedro Sula after Elis scored in the 70th minute or so.....insane!!

10 minutes ago, canta15 said:

The USA are eliminated...wow

Not only is this not good news for the US, but probably not good news for Jordan Hamilton given that Jozy Altidore won't be missing from the roster for 6 weeks next summer after all.

I wonder if the league will bother to take a break next summer now with both countries in the league not represented.

Tim Howard looks his age......I am surprised that Arena kept going with him and I think it cost them.

I think this might be the first time that two teams from the same semi-final group finished 5th and 6th in the Hex. Maybe this happened in 1997 as well (can't recall if El Salvador finished fourth, we definitely finished 6th). Cue the change in Qualifying format for next cycle.

Somewhat stunned that a Honduran team which hasn't exactly looked miles ahead of us when we have gone head to head with them the past couple of years has qualified for the playoff, although I guess they had the benefit of playing an already-qualified-Mexico twice to end each of the last two rounds of qualifying.

Edited by Gian-Luca
Honduras finished 4th, not Panama

Yes they did. My Australian buddy is saying they will be used to it after playing in hostile Middle Eastern countries. Will be an interesting experiment to see how tough Concacaf really is. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Honduras go to the playoff! Did the Aussies beat out Syria? I am going to enjoy them withering in the Honduran heat. See how they like the Central American treatment...

yeah im not bitter or anything ..... hahaha

5 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Okay. 2 starters. We have De Jong, sign Arfield as a DP and have Davies/Edgar off the bench. We'll need to keep Teibert as player 18 on the team sheet just in case I guess. Is that what you're looking to accomplish? 

I think you are ignoring the idea that the intent would be to kick start MLS development capacity.  Buying existing CanCon in the short term misses the point.  Establish a stepwise implementation plan for a quota, and no one has to rush out and buy Arfield and other proven Canadian players at inflated prices.  It is cheaper to invest in a few really promising youth players and bring them up to MLS quality, which isn't exactly world-beater level.  Maybe start with 2, increase it to 3 in a couple of years, and maybe 4 a few years after that.  As long as you give clubs sufficient notice, they would have an adequate window of time to develop appropriately.  Which, ultimately, is the tangible benefit such a policy would seek to encourage.  

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Honduras go to the playoff! Did the Aussies beat out Syria? I am going to enjoy them withering in the Honduran heat. See how they like the Central American treatment...

yeah im not bitter or anything ..... hahaha

Asian qualifying is similar to Concacaf, shitty facilities, oppressive heat and way longer travel.

The Aussies have some preparations.