General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

OZ plans of finding players...

Well let's hope CSA give him the okay to go with this plan. This will surely help CMNT improve in the future, but also bring in more youth to the program to grow and join CMNT in the future. Also to be proud to be with this program. Obviously the CSA have made some positive moves recently and CPL is the big move needed to succeed. CSA will have to invest and promote even more to improve both Women and Men program from all levels.... This is something to watch and see how they morph CSA into well running engine. 

I just wanna say I am extremely happy that Costa Rica got a result against Honduras. The added time goal made it extra satisfying to watch. Ironic how the coach claimed that "the refs are against them". Karma is a real bitch

11 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

I want to hear everyone's opinion on this: If you were the president of CSA, what would be the first thing you would do/change? 

Probably firing Paul Stalteri. Bigger picture? Find the funds to get our youth teams into some of the bigger international friendly tournaments or create one ourselves (like the US did with the Nike tournament). The Mexican and American u15s and u17s play in 3-4 tournaments a year while our kids get the CONCACAF Championships every 2 years and the odd friendly. 

Edited by harrycoyster

15 hours ago, Big_M said:

Cristante is no playmaker. Arfield is our best playmaker and has started there in the premier league

Regardless, we need someone to fill that spot and make more happen in the service department.  We need more than just Arfield out there making his contribution.

2 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

I want to hear everyone's opinion on this: If you were the president of CSA, what would be the first thing you would do/change? 

Require all 3 Canadian MLS teams to have 4 CanMNT eligible players on the field at all times and to have NWSL programs within 3 years with the same roster rules. Those would be my very first move.

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, matty said:

Require all 3 Canadian MLS teams to have 4 CanMNT eligible players on the field at all times and to have NWSL programs within 3 years with the same roster rules. Those would be my very first move.

Yeah, I don't know the specific approach that would yield the best results (though I like your suggestion)  but having the CSA develop greater testicular fortitude when it comes to our MLS teams is moving in the right direction.  It may be a USSF league but we have levers at our disposal that we aren't using.  And the business model is mature enough and successful enough that we wouldn't cripple them by requiring increased Canadian content at this point. 

3 hours ago, matty said:

So you want the teams to lose?

3 minutes ago, canta15 said:

So you want the teams to lose?

I will flip it around a bit.  Recognizing that there is some development of Canadian players occurring at TFC, is winning the league on the backs of 2 Americans and an Italian what success looks like for Canadian pro soccer?  I am not sure that is the end game - and if it is not, I am not sure the status quo will get us there.  

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I will flip it around a bit.  Recognizing that there is some development of Canadian players occurring at TFC, is winning the league on the backs of 2 Americans and an Italian what success looks like for Canadian pro soccer?  I am not sure that is the end game - and if it is not, I am not sure the status quo will get us there.  

You could make the argument that the early 2000s Raptors, who didn't have a lot of CanCon, caused a lot of kids (including Andrew Wiggins, Cory Joseph and Tristan Thompson) to take basketball seriously but then again you can't compare TFC to the early 2000s Raptors in terms of popularity. Giovinco isn't on that Vince Carter level of popularity.

3 hours ago, matty said:

That would more or less ensure that no CMNT player would ever move to Europe in the next ten years...they'd be way to valuable to the Canadian MLS teams. Arfield, Hutch, Hoilett and Cavallini would be in MLS within a season.

There are only a few Canadians starting in MLS because we aren't regularly producing MLS level players yet, not because there are MLS ready Canadians not being given minutes. Strengthening our program needs to focus on changing the preparation on the pathway not forcing players to the destination.

Just now, harrycoyster said:

That would more or less ensure that no CMNT player would ever move to Europe in the next ten years...they'd be way to valuable to the Canadian MLS teams. Arfield, Hutch, Hoilett and Cavallini would be in MLS within a season.

I highly disagree, I think it would allow the cream to really rise to the top in terms of moving to Europe and possibly cause a Canadian to enter a franchise player role if his MLS team wants to play him DP levels of money which could be very go PR for the CanMNT. It just means less Canadians will be released and have to sign in Finland or Scotland 2. On top of that the CPL will already decrease the number of Canadians in Europe when it starts.

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

There are only a few Canadians starting in MLS because we aren't regularly producing MLS level players yet, not because there are MLS ready Canadians not being given minutes. Strengthening our program needs to focus on changing the preparation on the pathway not forcing players to the destination.

We're getting to the point where we are producing solid MLS level guys (I'd say each team right now has 2-4 guys) and if the up and comers don't get a chance in MLS they might never reach that level successfully.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

We're getting to the point where we are producing solid MLS level guys (I'd say each team right now has 2-4 guys) and if the up and comers don't get a chance in MLS they might never reach that level successfully.

Who are the four starting caliber MLS players on the Caps? We have De Jong. You can count Davies if so inclined, but any Caps fan will tell you he clearly isn't ready to start in MLS yet. So we are buying two to three CMNT players from abroad, as our next MLS level prospect is at least a year away.

3 minutes ago, matty said:

BTW since people are signalling in on my MLS player quota, I assume everyone agrees about getting on the 3 ownership groups' caes about launching NWSL teams

Sure. We are paying for a bunch of NWSL players salaries anyways, let them play in Canada. I'm not sure the clubs would be all to happy about that mandate, however.

Who are the four starting caliber MLS players on the Caps? We have De Jong. You can count Davies if so inclined, but any Caps fan will tell you he clearly isn't ready to start in MLS yet. So we are buying two to three CMNT players from abroad, as our next MLS level prospect is at least a year away.

I'd say when he's healthy Edgar would be your #2 likely. I wouldn't force this on them right this moment but I'd aim for it for 2018

2 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Sure. We are paying for a bunch of NWSL players salaries anyways, let them play in Canada. I'm not sure the clubs would be all to happy about that mandate, however.

I think they'd be 50/50 on it but would see it as a positive in the end
-Caps are likely going to be doing it already
-MLSE would get to add a women's sports team to their portfolio and would likely use it to make them look good
-Impact......get more dates out of their stadium I guess

Edited by matty

1 minute ago, matty said:

I'd say when he's healthy Edgar would be your #2 likely. I wouldn't force this on them right this moment but I'd aim for it for 2018

You want us to bench one of Parker or Waston, a top five or six CB pairing in MLS, for a 30 year old tortoise of a CB coming off a near-career ending knee injury? I can see Edgar getting back into the rotation, especially if we lean more on our three at the back formation, but asking us to go into a season with him as a full-time starter is crazy given Edgar's circumstances. 

You want us to bench one of Parker or Waston, a top five or six CB pairing in MLS, for a 30 year old tortoise of a CB coming off a near-career ending knee injury? I can see Edgar getting back into the rotation, especially if we lean more on our three at the back formation, but asking us to go into a season with him as a full-time starter is crazy given Edgar's circumstances. 

Yes because I want my program to improve and that's my goal as president of the program. I've already said I'm flexible on the number but 4 is ideal to me. The clubs have to find a way to win using my rules.

Look China's FA limited the number of non-nationals in their crazy spending league so they could ensure the improvement of Chinese soccer. Why not take some notes from them because what we've been doing with these MLS teams largely hasn't been working.