General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

6 hours ago, Corazon said:

These numbers only include the round robin games of the MLS is Back Tournament as these games contributed to league standings.  All of the knockout round games are not included in these minutes.  I know Jayden Nelson started the knockout game for Toronto and Tesho got quite a few minutes and even a goal in the knockout rounds as well.  Unfortunately, these are not included.

What stands out the most to me about this season is the amount of new players that saw minutes.  As I mentioned, there were 9 more Canadians that played this season in a shortened season (rotation in a compact schedule had something to do with it).  But when you consider how many Canadians that played last season but did not this year, it becomes even more impressive.

Doneil Henry left for South Korea

Will Johnson completely fell of the earth

Mathieu Choinoire who had 681 minutes last year did not play this season.

Brett Levis left Vancouver

Ashtone Morgan left Toronto and never saw a minute with Salt Lake

Daniel Kinumbe left Montreal

Brian Wright left New England

So yes, we had 9 more Canadians play this season but in reality we had 16 new Canadians play this season in MLS.  Of all the new Canadians to play this season, 13 came either from the Canadian academies or MLS Draft picks.  The exceptions were Cavallini, Gutierrez & Waterman.

I keep a similar list. However I don't include Akinola or Ranjitsingh. My total minutes played by Canadians this year was 26018 (like you I included MLS is back group stage, but not playoffs). Last season was 27542 total minutes. This is actually pretty good given that there was 11 less games for some teams and even more for others. Prorated over a 34 game schedule it would be 38461 minutes. 

The big thing was having 4 goalies who all played a minimum of 3 games. I also include any player who has made a bench appearance. The average age the 46 players to make a game day roster was 22.49 (birth year is based on their first appearance of the season) Interestingly, this is the first time the age has dropped below 23.2 in the 5 years I have tracked this. 

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/12/05/breakout-players-audi-2020-mls-cup-playoffs-greg-seltzer

3 of the 6 breakout players identified are Buchanan, Johnston  and St. Clair. Crazy... 3 Canadians playing on US MLS teams, aged 21, 22 and, 23, draft picks out of US universities that have never represented Canada at any level. 

This says so much about soccer at various levels.

- the MLS draft and US university is a good development path and source of MLS talent 

- Canadian youth teams absolutely need to start looking beyond MLS academies for talent

- we need to get some camps to incorporate these players and see where they fall in our top 23 squad

- any chance the US teams start scouting League 1 teams for talent

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/12/05/breakout-players-audi-2020-mls-cup-playoffs-greg-seltzer

3 of the 6 breakout players identified are Buchanan, Johnston  and St. Clair. Crazy... 3 Canadians playing on US MLS teams, aged 21, 22 and, 23, draft picks out of US universities that have never represented Canada at any level. 

- the MLS draft and US university is a good development path and source of MLS talent 

- Canadian youth teams absolutely need to start looking beyond MLS academies for talent

- we need to get some camps to incorporate these players and see where they fall in our top 23 squad

- any chance the US teams start scouting League 1 teams for talent

Doubtful on that they won’t even look at USL, there’s an article on this. A player from USL signed in Portugal 1st div on a free, MLS offered like 25k for the player and then 100k incentives... they don’t value the lower league players.

A team that values players from there would have a gold mine.

Can PL can be a good mine for a team that uses it but who will ?

17 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

h 

One year or two doesn't create a trend. MLS draft rounds have been downsized in recent years and the numbers show most drafted aren't in the league beyond a couple of years.

For American college players, the draft has become a pathway to the USL but unfortunately for them, the MLS aren't interested in them anymore.

For Canadians, the draft looks like a pathway for late bloomers if they're given the opportunity and time by MLS teams to flower. As our depth grows because of MLS academies and CPL, there are going to be more and more outside of this circle who won't get a look with youth national teams. They aren't being overlooked as in the past but for their age group, they have been deemed as tier 2 or below. They'll need more time and roundabout development pathways to get a pro contract.

Edited by red card

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

Looks like he was with the Whitecaps youth teams at one point. Born 2002 and he's a defender/midfielder according to the Whitecaps information on him.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/eliteteams/residency/juvraj-kooner

No idea who this kid is but Whitecaps getting one snatched like that.....

Not a small club either, loads of talent in the Whitecaps academy and they weren’t all going to play. Good for him, definitely something to watch, they must think highly of him.

Here’s Gareth Wheeler’s prediction on the starting lineup for WCQ.

Not sure how he overlooks Eustaquio and Arfield.

Miller is an interesting choice at CB. Our CB situation is muddled with many choices, but certainly James, Cornelius and Henry would be a better choice IMO.

anyway, just another pundit offering up an opinion.

A8189414-13D2-4552-BE86-4C1200A9E504.jpeg

Edited by Strait Red

I certainly would entertain a Larin over Cavallini argument but I still think Cavallini brings more to the table. Larin is in decent form and would be one of my first subs. I also think Arfield and Euataquio need to start. Love Hoilett off the bench with Davies falling behind him while subbing off your LB. Miller at starting CB is never gonna happen