General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

11 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Here's a new topic:

We've been wondering where we should play Davies for a while, and to me, the obvious answer is on the wing in a 4-2-3-1. I think the more interesting discussion is how are full backs will look. 

Our best non-Davies option is obviously Laryea. Some people were suggesting he should be on the wing, but that means taking Hoilett off, so I'm against that. This leaves LB or RB, which I'm really unsure about. I think it comes down to who we really don't want to play.

If Laryea sticks at RB, that means we're getting Adekugbe. I'm not really following his career in Norway, but I haven't heard anything good either. I guess Miller, Johnson or Morgan are possibilities, but not good ones. Which is why I'm leaning towards...

LB. That would leave us with some pretty deadly dribbling on the left side, and would take away all of those question marks. On the other hand though, if we want to go with 2 fun wing backs, that would mean ZBG, who I am equally unsure of. Alistair Johnston has had a good year in Nashville, but I'm not sure how well he'd mesh with our style. Is he pacey, or dribbly? ZBG feels more consistent, but he really hasn't fared as well.

Juan Cordova is also an option, or Godinho if we get really desperate. Personally, I'm leaning towards:

Cavallini

Davies-David-Hoilett

Arfield-Eustaquio

Laryea-Vitoria-Henry-ZBG

Borjan

This is a great line-up!  Looking at the big picture, its gets MOST of our key players on the pitch, in their natural positions.  

The only missing piece would be Hutch - if he's still in the picture.  I'd lean towards trying to make space for Hutch while removing the weakest of the 11 if possible (ZBG).

---------Hoilett - Cavallini

Davies - Arfield - David - Eustaquio - Laryea

------Vitoria - Hutch - Henry

Like N1ckbr0wn says, Larin is also looking pretty good these days, kinda tempted to get him in there too. 

We now, thankfully, have the luxury of starting players based on their current form.

If we were playing Honduras in a WCQ next week, I'd go with this:

Larin David

Davies Eustaquio Arfield Hoilett

Adekugbe Vitoria Henry Laryea

Borjan

Subs likely to play: Cavallini - Akinola - Millar - Kaye - Piette

Other subs: David Choiniere - Cordova - Johnston - Cornelius - James - St. Clair - Triston Henry 

Injured: Osorio, Crepeau

Retired from international competition: Hutchinson

10 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

We now, thankfully, have the luxury of starting players based on their current form.

Larin David

Borjan

Other subs: David Choiniere - Cordova - Johnston - Cornelius - James - St. Clair - Triston Henry 

Spot on for me for the starting 11.  Love the way that lineup looks.

7 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Larin David

Borjan

There is 0 chance that Hutch retires a year or two before Canada has an actual chance to play in a World Cup. This is every players dream. He will remain active until we still have a chance to qualify. He won’t show up to every camp, but he will not retire before then. He’s still playing at a higher or equal level than most of our 11.

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

There is 0 chance that Hutch retires a year or two before Canada has an actual chance to play in a World Cup. This is every players dream. He will remain active until we still have a chance to qualify. He won’t show up to every camp, but he will not retire before then. He’s still playing at a higher or equal level than most of our 11.

I have to agree with this. If we make the final 8, I fully expect him to show up to every games. He won't for the qualifiers to the final 8 though and I don't blame him. We should be able to do it without him.

59 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Larin David

Borjan

I agree with this, I would take Buchanan over Choiniere though 

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Larin David

Borjan

Choiniere? Talk about a wild card .. not sure he would even make the u23 team. Also, Babouli has been better for Forge.

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Larin David

(replace) Eustaquio Arfield Hoilett

Borjan

Subs likely to play: Cavallini - Akinola - Millar - (replace) - Piette

Injured: Osorio, Crepeau, Kaye, Davies

Still gets the call for you over a guy playing first team ball and in form Buchanan.
But I guess this list isn't made to make sense, because it contradicts itself by basing it on current form, and then including injured players while have injured players mentions. 

I fixed some holes for you.

30 minutes ago, Shway said:

Still gets the call for you over a guy playing first team ball and in form Buchanan.
But I guess this list isn't made to make sense, because it contradicts itself by basing it on current form, and then including injured players while have injured players mentions. 

I fixed some holes for you.

You're right, I totally forgot AD was injured - his absence would probably lead to a formation change.  I think Kaye is healthy again now, and I'd bring him in despite his lack of games.  

Millar was a tough decision, but went with him based on his familiarity with Herdman's system and the team / anticipating we will actually need to play a winger off the bench.  Remember my list was based on a fictional must win game against Honduras.  Tough to give Buchanan a first cap in a big game like that.

I know Choiniere is perhaps too unrealistic, I just really like the way he's been playing and I wanted a winger used to playing on the right.  Buchanan, Bair, Akindele could all easily take his spot.  

Edited by BrennanFan

12 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

You're right, I totally forgot AD was injured - his absence would probably lead to a formation change.  I think Kaye is healthy again now, and I'd bring him in despite his lack of games.  

Millar was a tough decision, but went with him based on his familiarity with Herdman's system and the team / anticipating we will actually need to play a winger off the bench.  Remember my list was based on a fictional must win game against Honduras.  Tough to give Buchanan a first cap in a big game like that.

I know Choiniere is perhaps too unrealistic, I just really like the way he's been playing and I wanted a winger used to playing on the right.  Buchanan, Bair, Akindele could all easily take his spot.  

Buchanans main position is RW

16 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Here's a new topic:

We've been wondering where we should play Davies for a while, and to me, the obvious answer is on the wing in a 4-2-3-1. I think the more interesting discussion is how are full backs will look. 

Our best non-Davies option is obviously Laryea. Some people were suggesting he should be on the wing, but that means taking Hoilett off, so I'm against that. This leaves LB or RB, which I'm really unsure about. I think it comes down to who we really don't want to play.

If Laryea sticks at RB, that means we're getting Adekugbe. I'm not really following his career in Norway, but I haven't heard anything good either. I guess Miller, Johnson or Morgan are possibilities, but not good ones. Which is why I'm leaning towards...

LB. That would leave us with some pretty deadly dribbling on the left side, and would take away all of those question marks. On the other hand though, if we want to go with 2 fun wing backs, that would mean ZBG, who I am equally unsure of. Alistair Johnston has had a good year in Nashville, but I'm not sure how well he'd mesh with our style. Is he pacey, or dribbly? ZBG feels more consistent, but he really hasn't fared as well.

Juan Cordova is also an option, or Godinho if we get really desperate. Personally, I'm leaning towards:

Cavallini

Davies-David-Hoilett

Arfield-Eustaquio

Laryea-Vitoria-Henry-ZBG

Borjan

Why do people think ZBG is so good? Johnson is having a better season and Cordova is doing well in Chile but it doesnt matter because Laryea is starting at RB. Also Larin is probably the best option out of all forwards right now. 

I would start

---------------Larin-David

Davies-Osorio-Eustaquio-arfield-laryea

-----------Miller-Vitoria-Henry

Borjan

When Kaye is healthy he can battle Osorio. IF Hutch wants to play he starts at whatever mid spot he wants. 3-5-2 gets the most of Laryea and Davies. 

8 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Why do people think ZBG is so good? Johnson is having a better season and Cordova is doing well in Chile but it doesnt matter because Laryea is starting at RB. Also Larin is probably the best option out of all forwards right now. 

I would start

---------------Larin-David

Davies-Osorio-Eustaquio-arfield-laryea

-----------Miller-Vitoria-Henry

Borjan

When Kaye is healthy he can battle Osorio. IF Hutch wants to play he starts at whatever mid spot he wants. 3-5-2 gets the most of Laryea and Davies. 

I don't! I've been skeptical of him, and I agree that Johnston out performed him this year. ZBG is quicker though, and seems more consistent with our style. If Adekugbe does that better, than Laryea should be fine at RB in a 4-2-3-1.  Also, Miller over James at the back?

32 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I don't! I've been skeptical of him, and I agree that Johnston out performed him this year. ZBG is quicker though, and seems more consistent with our style. If Adekugbe does that better, than Laryea should be fine at RB in a 4-2-3-1.  Also, Miller over James at the back?

I have only watched Johnston and Nashville a handful of times, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think the way each team plays is the great equalizer between both of these young players.

Nashville are a hardworking, no-nonsense team. They are solid defensively. If you put ZBG in that team I think he does an equally good job as Johnston to be honest, who has impressed me. I think Johnston is probably the better defender, and to his credit he has demonstrated that this season, but giving nothing away and being hard to beat are the hallmarks of this team, so there's that.

Now contrast that with Montreal. ZBG is basically playing as an extra attacker at times. Montreal's defense as a whole is a mess. They make a lot of mistakes. This year shows what ZBG can do going forward, and there is a lot to like, but defensively he has been disappointing. That is true for the entire team. He doesn't get off the hook, but I can't help but wonder to what degree it's down to how he is being used and how the team is playing (poorly). 

Prior to this season, with the exception of that mistake against Mexico, Brault-Guillard has been very tidy. It was one of the things I liked about his game right away. He played the game in a very mature way, made the right decisions, rarely turned the ball over, and did his job defensively. There were few times his defensive play stood out, good or bad, and I think he is still that player.

Overall I rate them very equally. 

Speaking of Miller, I tuned in to watch him and Orlando a few games ago. It was minutes before he was subbed off. He was at LB and he was looking good. He was playing with a lot of confidence. In fact, he had this one play that was very impressive and a little surprising. He charged forward from midfield and dribbled past 3 or 4 players before eventually getting thwarted inside the box. I don't know how he played the rest of the game, but if that was any indication I think he remains a very viable option for us at LB. And since he can play CB too, all the better. 

Edited by Obinna

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

Speaking of Miller, I tuned in to watch him and Orlando a few games ago. It was minutes before he was subbed off. He was at LB and he was looking good. He was playing with a lot of confidence. In fact, he had this one play that was very impressive and a little surprising. He charged forward from midfield and dribbled past 3 or 4 players before eventually getting thwarted inside the box. I don't know how he played the rest of the game, but if that was any indication I think he remains a very viable option for us at LB. And since he can play CB too, all the better. 

I've always liked what I've been able to see from Miller at LB.  Considering the offensive abilities of those further up the pitch, having a guy who looks like a defensive steady eddie despite not having the sexier bells and whistles on the attack is fine by me.  The positional versatility is a huge plus for him, too.

On 11/6/2020 at 9:20 AM, BrennanFan said:

Larin David

Borjan

This starting 11 is pretty strong. 

I would make a case for Kamal Millar to start in place of Adekugbe, but these two players are comparable.  

As for the substitutes, I would recommend Mo Babouli as a player with a very high soccer IQ, some pretty strong skills, and a likely ability to link up very well with Canada's top players because Babouli thinks the game so well. He is always making the correct run, or making smart and incisive passes. He could take the place of Choiniere or Miller.

Otherwise, this a great squad.

Canadians in USL Championship - Final Statistics

Player Team Position GP GS MP G A
Paris Gee Saint Louis FC Defender 18 17 1482 0 1
Ryan James Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC Defender 17 16 1445 5 0
Karl Ouimette Indy Eleven Defender 15 15 1350 0 2
Skylar Thomas Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC Defender 17 15 1317 1 0
Zachary Ellis-Hayden Oklahoma City Energy Defender 15 15 1304 0 2
Aidan Daniels Colorado Springs Switchbacks Midfielder 16 16 1288 3 1
Tyler Pasher Indy Eleven Forward 15 13 1209 10 2
Carl Haworth Indy Eleven Defender 11 11 930 1 2
Dayonn Harris Real Monarchs Forward 14 11 918 0 3
Jordan Murrell Las Vegas Lights FC Defender 11 10 904 0 1
Callum Montgomery San Antonio FC (On Loan from FC Dallas) Defender 9 9 808 2 0
Alex Comsia North Carolina FC Defender 11 9 787 0 0
Kembo Kibato Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Midfielder 12 9 777 1 2
Brian Wright Birmingham Legion FC Forward 16 8 742 3 1
Jeremy Gagnon-Lapare Saint Louis FC Defender 9 7 653 0 1
Malik Johnson Tampa Bay Rowdies Midfielder 13 4 549 2 3
Jordan Schweitzer Phoenix Rising Midfielder 16 4 502 1 1
Drew Beckie El Paso Locomotive FC Defender 6 4 435 0 0
Jordan Peruzza San Antonio FC (On Loan from Toronto FC) Forward 6 5 380 3 0
Mamadi Camara Colorado Springs Switchbacks Forward 14 2 325 1 0
Massimo Ferrin Loudon FC United Forward 6 4 271 0 0
Emile Legault Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Defender 4 2 219 0 0
Ashtone Morgan Real Monarchs (On Loan from Real Salt Lake) Defender 1 1 90 0 0
Mathieu Laurent Birmingham Legion FC Defender          

Player Team Position GP GS MP S GA
Sean Melvin Colorado Springs Switchbacks Goalie 11 11 990 26 21
Dayne St. Clair San Antonio FC (On Loan from Minnesota United) Goalie 5 5 450 12 3
Andre MacRae Tulsa FC Goalie          

Canadians in MLS:

41 Canadians made at least one appearance this season compared to 32 last season.  Hard to make a full assessment on minutes played given the shortened season.

Samuel Piette Montreal Impact CM 22 22 1943 1 1
Zach Brault-Guillard Montreal Impact RB 21 19 1789 0 1
Russell Teibert Vancouver Whitecaps CM 20 19 1585 0 1
Lucas Cavallini Vancouver Whitecaps ST 18 16 1457 6 0
Jonathan Osorio Toronto FC CM 17 17 1408 1 3
Richie Laryea Toronto FC RB 20 15 1398 4 4
Alistair Johnston Nashville SC RB 18 15 1366 0 1
Mark Anthony Kaye Los Angeles FC CM 16 15 1095 3 4
Tajon Buchanan New England Revolution RW 23 11 1084 2 2
Dejan Jakovic Los Angeles FC CB 16 12 1075 1 0
Ayo Akinola Toronto FC ST 15 11 1063 9 0
Derek Cornelious Vancouver Whitecaps CB 13 11 1011 0 0
Tesho Akindele Orlando City ST 17 8 821 3 0
Kamal Miller Orlando City LB 12 9 805 0 0
Michael Baldisimo Vancouver Whitecaps CM 13 7 703 1 3
Cristian Gutierrez Vancouver Whitecaps LB 12 7 665 0 2
Joel Waterman Montreal Impact CB 7 6 549 0 1
Tosaint Ricketts Vancouver Whitecaps ST 16 5 456 2 0
Theo Bair Vancouver Whitecaps ST 16 6 446 1 0
Liam Fraser Toronto FC CM 13 4 436 0 0
Ryan Raposo Vancouver Whitecaps CM 15 2 375 0 1
Shamit Shome Montreal Impact CM 12 4 282 0 0
Raheem Edwards Minnesota United LW 12 2 259 0 3
Jay Chapman Inter Miami CF CM 8 2 200 0 0
Patrick Metcalfe Vancouver Whitecaps CM 7 2 200 0 0
Anthony Jackson-Hamel Montreal Impact ST 7 2 195 0 0
Ralph Priso Toronto FC CM 4 1 158 0 0
Jayden Nelson Toronto FC RW 7 1 141 0 0
Karifa Yao Montreal Impact CB 2 1 127 0 0
Jacob Shaffelburg Toronto FC LW 4 1 125 0 0
Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla Montreal Impact ST 5 0 100 1 0
Clement Bayiha Montreal Impact RB 4 1 66 0 0
Noble Okello Toronto FC (Loan) CM 1 0 22 0 0
Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty Toronto FC CM 1 0 18 0 0
Jordan Hamilton Columbus Crew ST 2 0 13 0 0
Damiano Pecile Vancouver Whitecaps CM 1 0 1 0 0
Callum Montgomery FC Dallas (Loan) CB          
David Norman Jr. Inter Miami CF CM          
Mathieu Choiniere Montreal Impact CM          
Keesean Ferdinand Montreal Impact CB          
Tomas Giraldo Montreal Impact CM          
Ashtone Morgan Real Salt Lake LB          
Julian Dunn-Johnson Toronto FC (Loan) CB          
Rocco Romeo Toronto FC (Loan) CB          
Georges Mukumbilwa Vancouver Whitecaps CM          
Gianfranco Facchineri Vancouver Whitecaps (Loan) CB          
Simon Colyn Vancouver Whitecaps (Loan) CM          

Dayne St Clair Minnesota United FC (Loan) GK 13 13 1170 49 12
Thomas Hasal Vancouver Whitecaps GK 9 8 752 35 14
Maxime Crepeau Vancouver Whitecaps GK 4 4 328 12 10
James Pantemis Montreal Impact (Loan) GK 3 3 270 17 7
Greg Ranjitsingh Minnesota United FC GK 3 3 270 15 8
Jonathan Sirois Montreal Impact GK          
Jason Beaulieu Montreal Impact GK          
Isaac Boehmer Vancouver Whitecaps GK          

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

With young Veselinovic established as Godoy's CB partner in Vancouver for next season, it perhaps may be better for Cornelius to look at elsewhere where he can be a regular starter.

With Fannis contract ending this year, and Camacho In 21, one would think the Impact would be a good place for Cornelius to go

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

With young Veselinovic established as Godoy's CB partner in Vancouver for next season, it perhaps may be better for Cornelius to look at elsewhere where he can be a regular starter.

I think for the most part, Cornelius looked pretty good this year.  Arguably, in many outings, he looked better than Veselinovic, especially earlier in the year.  I would like to see him stay and win the job outright.  A little adversity sometimes helps mould the player.

6 hours ago, Ivan said:

I think for the most part, Cornelius looked pretty good this year.  Arguably, in many outings, he looked better than Veselinovic, especially earlier in the year.  I would like to see him stay and win the job outright.  A little adversity sometimes helps mould the player.

I don’t know what it is with the Canadian teams... I recall when Edgar was trying to make it at Newcastle the feeling was that he needed to be twice as good as the “English lads” to earn his spot... and this seems to be common across Europe. In Canada/MLS we go out of our way to play the imports because “they must be good if they come from Europe” even if they don’t separate themselves from the homegrown talent. 

13 hours ago, Corazon said:

Canadians in MLS:

41 Canadians made at least one appearance this season compared to 32 last season.  Hard to make a full assessment on minutes played given the shortened season.

Samuel Piette Montreal Impact CM 22 22 1943 1 1
Zach Brault-Guillard Montreal Impact RB 21 19 1789 0 1
Russell Teibert Vancouver Whitecaps CM 20 19 1585 0 1
Lucas Cavallini Vancouver Whitecaps ST 18 16 1457 6 0
Jonathan Osorio Toronto FC CM 17 17 1408 1 3
Richie Laryea Toronto FC RB 20 15 1398 4 4
Alistair Johnston Nashville SC RB 18 15 1366 0 1
Mark Anthony Kaye Los Angeles FC CM 16 15 1095 3 4
Tajon Buchanan New England Revolution RW 23 11 1084 2 2
Dejan Jakovic Los Angeles FC CB 16 12 1075 1 0
Ayo Akinola Toronto FC ST 15 11 1063 9 0
Derek Cornelious Vancouver Whitecaps CB 13 11 1011 0 0
Tesho Akindele Orlando City ST 17 8 821 3 0
Kamal Miller Orlando City LB 12 9 805 0 0
Michael Baldisimo Vancouver Whitecaps CM 13 7 703 1 3
Cristian Gutierrez Vancouver Whitecaps LB 12 7 665 0 2
Joel Waterman Montreal Impact CB 7 6 549 0 1
Tosaint Ricketts Vancouver Whitecaps ST 16 5 456 2 0
Theo Bair Vancouver Whitecaps ST 16 6 446 1 0
Liam Fraser Toronto FC CM 13 4 436 0 0
Ryan Raposo Vancouver Whitecaps CM 15 2 375 0 1
Shamit Shome Montreal Impact CM 12 4 282 0 0
Raheem Edwards Minnesota United LW 12 2 259 0 3
Jay Chapman Inter Miami CF CM 8 2 200 0 0
Patrick Metcalfe Vancouver Whitecaps CM 7 2 200 0 0
Anthony Jackson-Hamel Montreal Impact ST 7 2 195 0 0
Ralph Priso Toronto FC CM 4 1 158 0 0
Jayden Nelson Toronto FC RW 7 1 141 0 0
Karifa Yao Montreal Impact CB 2 1 127 0 0
Jacob Shaffelburg Toronto FC LW 4 1 125 0 0
Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla Montreal Impact ST 5 0 100 1 0
Clement Bayiha Montreal Impact RB 4 1 66 0 0
Noble Okello Toronto FC (Loan) CM 1 0 22 0 0
Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty Toronto FC CM 1 0 18 0 0
Jordan Hamilton Columbus Crew ST 2 0 13 0 0
Damiano Pecile Vancouver Whitecaps CM 1 0 1 0 0
Callum Montgomery FC Dallas (Loan) CB          
David Norman Jr. Inter Miami CF CM          
Mathieu Choiniere Montreal Impact CM          
Keesean Ferdinand Montreal Impact CB          
Tomas Giraldo Montreal Impact CM          
Ashtone Morgan Real Salt Lake LB          
Julian Dunn-Johnson Toronto FC (Loan) CB          
Rocco Romeo Toronto FC (Loan) CB          
Georges Mukumbilwa Vancouver Whitecaps CM          
Gianfranco Facchineri Vancouver Whitecaps (Loan) CB          
Simon Colyn Vancouver Whitecaps (Loan) CM          

Dayne St Clair Minnesota United FC (Loan) GK 13 13 1170 49 12
Thomas Hasal Vancouver Whitecaps GK 9 8 752 35 14
Maxime Crepeau Vancouver Whitecaps GK 4 4 328 12 10
James Pantemis Montreal Impact (Loan) GK 3 3 270 17 7
Greg Ranjitsingh Minnesota United FC GK 3 3 270 15 8
Jonathan Sirois Montreal Impact GK          
Jason Beaulieu Montreal Impact GK          
Isaac Boehmer Vancouver Whitecaps GK          

While the increased number of players (despite fewer games played) is great, the biggest story for me is the expansion of the keepers getting MLS minutes - especially since these minutes are despite the only guy we probably expected to get minutes again this year, Crepeau, getting injured. Of course, we also benefited from that injury (and the injury to the incumbent in Minnesota) to get Hasal & St. Clair minutes.

Question....I'm assuming these minutes don't include the "MLS is back" playoff games, just regular season?

10 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

While the increased number of players (despite fewer games played) is great, the biggest story for me is the expansion of the keepers getting MLS minutes - especially since these minutes are despite the only guy we probably expected to get minutes again this year, Crepeau, getting injured. Of course, we also benefited from that injury (and the injury to the incumbent in Minnesota) to get Hasal & St. Clair minutes.

Question....I'm assuming these minutes don't include the "MLS is back" playoff games, just regular season?

These numbers only include the round robin games of the MLS is Back Tournament as these games contributed to league standings.  All of the knockout round games are not included in these minutes.  I know Jayden Nelson started the knockout game for Toronto and Tesho got quite a few minutes and even a goal in the knockout rounds as well.  Unfortunately, these are not included.

What stands out the most to me about this season is the amount of new players that saw minutes.  As I mentioned, there were 9 more Canadians that played this season in a shortened season (rotation in a compact schedule had something to do with it).  But when you consider how many Canadians that played last season but did not this year, it becomes even more impressive.

Doneil Henry left for South Korea

Will Johnson completely fell of the earth

Mathieu Choinoire who had 681 minutes last year did not play this season.

Brett Levis left Vancouver

Ashtone Morgan left Toronto and never saw a minute with Salt Lake

Daniel Kinumbe left Montreal

Brian Wright left New England

So yes, we had 9 more Canadians play this season but in reality we had 16 new Canadians play this season in MLS.  Of all the new Canadians to play this season, 13 came either from the Canadian academies or MLS Draft picks.  The exceptions were Cavallini, Gutierrez & Waterman.

Edited by Corazon