General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

21 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

With other countries in Concacaf playing friendlies and earning ranking points, is it possible we don’t end up in the top 8 or was it frozen at a certain point and we are guaranteed the Ocho?!

Spots 1-5 have already received a buy to the Ocho.

All other teams must qualify in the preliminaries. The groups have been decided. We must win our group and play one of the other group winners (expected to be Haiti) in a two leg play off. The 4 other group winners will play off also. The play off winners move on to the Ocho.

In other words, it doesn't matter.

Edited by Obinna

17 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

With other countries in Concacaf playing friendlies and earning ranking points, is it possible we don’t end up in the top 8 or was it frozen at a certain point and we are guaranteed the Ocho?!

The World Cup qualifiers have already been drawn. There is no guarantee for the ocho in any event.

Update

I made a few changes to my chart (because back to stage 2 🙄)

Herdman should call up Akinola for the WCQ window as we have the 1st opportunity to cap him in March 2021while the US won't be playing a cap-tying game until June 2021. We'll know by March what he wants to do...

I not only consider the level of play but most importantly, the amount of minutes the guys are playing and I think the WCQ reflects that the most. I moved Liam Millar to the Gold Cup Squad

We should use the Gold Cup window of July 2021 to cap both Corbeanu and Mitrovic. It's doubful they'll be called up for this year UEFA Nations League. So I moved them from Olympic qualifier squad (whenever that happens) to Gold Cup squad.

I moved Tristan Borges to U23 squad

image.png.2794c17496396d7c7e8ed784bce40e78.png

image.png.93bdea07782dd18ef6c6e9a374401969.png

Edited by Ansem

12 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

This Gold cup is so important. It’s a useless tournament that means nothing but a great chance to expand our pool players, It can be used as a tool to attract those young dual nationals and I hope they use it! 

Not really sure I would say it is useless and means nothing.  It is our regional championship.  Whether all the top teams send their best squads or not is besides the point - it is literally the top competition in CONCACAF.   

44 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

This Gold cup is so important. It’s a useless tournament that means nothing but a great chance to expand our pool players, It can be used as a tool to attract those young dual nationals and I hope they use it! 

Useless??  DAvies and David were able to put themselves in the shop window that a couple friendlies wouldnt have done.  We need to play, cap guys, keep guys involved in the program so its all useful.  

To clarify it’s useless in a sense it doesn’t help us get into the World Cup and the bigger teams are not bring their A squads. Also if Canada hosted friendlies against the bigger nations, Davies and others wouldn’t need the gold cup so bad, just for a thought. 

this gold cup is super important, but again use it to cap tie young dual nationals, give them games same with guys that are on the fringes of the A squad. We need to expand our player pool. Winning it in my mind is a bonus not the goal. It’s time to start thinking and acting like the bigger nations. The US and Mexico care about world cups not gold cups. Gold cups shouldn’t be our World Cup and the only Avenue to play games.

Edited by SpecialK

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

To clarify it’s useless in a sense it doesn’t help us get into the World Cup and the bigger teams are not bring their A squads. Also if Canada hosted friendlies against the bigger nations, Davies and others wouldn’t need the gold cup so bad, just for a thought. 

this gold cup is super important, but again use it to cap tie young dual nationals, give them games same with guys that are on the fringes of the A squad. We need to expand our player pool. Winning it in my mind is a bonus not the goal. It’s time to start thinking and acting like the bigger nations. The US and Mexico care about world cups not gold cups. Gold cups shouldn’t be our World Cup and the only Avenue to play games.

Aside from one brief WC appearance in modern history, the GC is literally the top tournament we compete in.   Using it to primarily cap young/fringe guys who otherwise wouldn’t make the CMNT squad is not the way to go.  Sure, take a promising player or two if there is room and if they are roughly equivalent to a more senior player - but using the tourney mainly as a mechanism to lock down dual nationals seems entirely tone deaf to the reality of what we have done as a footy nation for the last 50 years.  For many folks on here, winning the GC was either the best or second best accomplishment in our team’s modern history.   

52 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Aside from one brief WC appearance in modern history, the GC is literally the top tournament we compete in.   Using it to primarily cap young/fringe guys who otherwise wouldn’t make the CMNT squad is not the way to go.  Sure, take a promising player or two if there is room and if they are roughly equivalent to a more senior player - but using the tourney mainly as a mechanism to lock down dual nationals seems entirely tone deaf to the reality of what we have done as a footy nation for the last 50 years.  For many folks on here, winning the GC was either the best or second best accomplishment in our team’s modern history.   

Nothing is more important than qualifying for the '22 World Cup. Herdman has to pick the strongest squad for the Gold Cup that doesn't in any way diminish our strength in WCQ. 

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

And .... this is why we have a loser mentality and from the top of CSA right down to the support group. I’m sorry that’s harsh but it’s true

It’s not harsh dude.  It’s fucking stupid.  European countries value the Euros.   African counties value the African Cup of Nations.  South American countries value the Copa America.  Etc.  

if you are saying that we should depriotitize this specific GC in lieu of WC qualifying, then of course - no on here has argued anything different.  But you seemed to be making a more general point.  Calling it a “useless tournament that means nothing” is a broader statement.  And unless you misspoke, it is one that I think is dumb.  

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It’s not harsh dude.  It’s ******* stupid.  European countries value the Euros.   African counties value the African Cup of Nations.  South American countries value the Copa America.  Etc.  

if you are saying that we should depriotitize this specific GC in lieu of WC qualifying, then of course - no on here has argued anything different.  But you seemed to be making a more general point.  Calling it a “useless tournament that means nothing” is a broader statement.  And unless you misspoke, it is one that I think is dumb.  

Hold on.... have you been accused of having a loser mentality because you believe the Gold Cup is important and you think it is important to try to win it? 

A common point that people on this board when talking about whether a dual national will or won’t commit to Canada they bring up players that got 1 or 2 caps for their non-Canada choice. If we dedicate a tournament to cap tying many dual nationals we are giving other players a reason to be wary about committing to us. They will have to ask themselves if we are cynically calling them up or if we actually think they have earned a call.

47 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It’s not harsh dude.  It’s ******* stupid.  European countries value the Euros.   African counties value the African Cup of Nations.  South American countries value the Copa America.  Etc.  

Agreed, this competition means everything to us (supporters ) and the players. It’s our only real shot at a trophy and we nearly always have a shot at making a meaningful run in the tournament. I love it

WCQ is always the highest priority. outside of 2021, WCQ never takes away from the GC

Ok I think a misunderstanding is in order, my fault. This Gold Cup ( this year gold cup) shouldnt be a huge priority here. Getting into the World Cup should be. The A squad is going to be playing a ton and we as supporters want to add a gold cup to that? The US and Mexico focus on getting to the World Cup and use the gold cup to play young or B/C squads. We should be doing the same. We have young talented dual nationals players , fringe player that we should be calling, getting them into the program and play against decent teams. It’s the perfect opportunity. If we win the gold cup bonus, if we lose oh well we still won because we got young players playing for Canada and grew our player pool. So when 2022 comes we are deep with talent. 

Edited by SpecialK

For me I rather see Canada in the World Cup, shocking the world by maybe getting out of the group and making a ton of money and growing the program and reputation. 

With the World Cup money , omg the CSA could put it to good use and grow it even more. Bigger Friendlies, more games in Canada, Better dual Nationals and Canadian born players choosing us to play. The soccer world will take us for seriously. Better options for our players for clubs. Soccer popularity in Canada going higher and higher, helping the CPL. 

Next year's Gold Cup is diminished in importance because we have qualifying before it and after it. So, no way are we going to run down our top players over the summer, deprive them of a summer vacation and possibly set back them in training for their club season while also jeopardizing our chances of qualifying.

US & Mexico are also sending their B teams. 

Beyond that, other Gold Cups are important to Canada. But holding it every two years, inviting guest countries, skewing the draws to max out revenue means it is the least valued Confed tourney. It also has not much traction in the Canadian sports landscape. 

Edited by red card