Jump to content

General Discussion on CMNT


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Shway said:

The Haiti GC game, USA home and away NL games we’re all completely different. The major thing being that Davies went from playing RW in a win to playing LB in a loss.

A systen isn't immune to a coach occasional arrogance (Haiti) and stupidity (US 2nd game). Both games I didn't felt that the midfield left us down. Reinventing the wheel with defense and forwards where the chemistry was there did us in.

Away games on NL? Canada needs to learn to break down CONCACAF nations parking the bus (Cuba). We clearly aren't used to team paying us that much respect.

As a coach, Herdman himself has some growing up to do, the margin for error is much more narrow as I'm sure he's learning. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

So to say that Akinola couldn’t be vetted in as the number 9 that he already plays as, is weird statement especially if he’s currently playing better than all those guy’s mentioned.

keyword is "currently". David, Cavallini and Larin have a much bigger track record than Akinola. He just need to keep doing his thing but WCQ isn't the time to go with question marks. 

We don't know how Akinola would hypothetically react in a WCQ where you need a result and not panic. You know what you're getting with the others, that's why I have Akinola on the Gold Cup squad where he can make his case and show what he got.

Edited by Ansem
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morgan's a humble pro who made the most of his talent. He was always proud to wear the Maple Leaf, too.

The question isn’t whether not not he can make Davies at LB.  That is a non issue.  The issue is whether not we are stronger as a team with him at LB or at LW, and that debate isn’t settled or nearly

Easy on Morgan guys, he's had a decent MLS career and always answered the call for our National team which he chose over Jamaica who I know for fact were trying to cap him, I worked with one of his cl

Posted Images

Eh, it's not half bad. Piette should be changed with Kaye probably, but lots of good possessors and cover through midfield, which will give Davies and Laryea the ability to get high up the pitch. 

Edited by PopePouri
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 4:40 PM, Ansem said:

For the WCQ, I doubt Herdman will get experimental. It will be our best XI and we go for the jugular. It's "ocho" or bust.

Nelson is more likely to play more minutes with the U23 than most of the Gold Cup forwards who are playing more minutes and are playing well.

It's better for him to be challenged and be put in a situation where he's a crucial part of the team and is expected to produce.

I was basing my opinion off the Onesoccer picks so I don't get how Millar or Akindele is more experimental than Nelson. At least Akindele is getting good MLS playing time while Millar has had a good start to the u-23 premier league. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One American said:

By next year:  

-----------------------------------David

----Osorio-------------------Arfield-------------------Buchanan

---------------Eustaquio------------------Piette

----Davies---------Kennedy-------Vitoria(?)---------Laryea

---------------------------------Borjan

 

 

53 minutes ago, Shway said:

That line up seems utterly clueless.

 

I have noticed that Americans seem way more excited about Buchanan than we are. 

I suspect that is because he plays for an American team who (with all due respect) are unexciting and unappealing to most Canadians. That may be unfair to New England considering their history, but at least that's my feeling towards the club. I am sure I am not the only Canadian who feels that way.

Minnesota, Orlando and LAFC are way more interesting by comparison. They play out of beautiful soccer specific stadiums. They are new franchises. Most of all, they each have two Canadians.

I am watching any of those teams before I watch New England, who by comparison are like an old hat. They play out of a drab NFL stadium with field turf. I never watch their highlights, let alone their home games, unless there is some serious Canadian content.

So we may overlook Buchanan at times. I know I do every now and then. 

And conversely, I bet Americans are overlooking the likes of Baldisimo. However, I can fully understand if our southern neighbors aren't tuning in to watch the Vancouver Whitecaps. I imagine most outside the PNW forget they exist (again, with all due respect). 

Edited by Obinna
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I have noticed that Americans seem way more excited about Buchanan than we are. 

So we may overlook Buchanan at times. I know I do every now and then. 

I have not over looked him/ or have understated him...I've actually watched him play a few times as I would a Montreal or Vancouver game. 

image.png.90e76f1fdc09139e34363c3b847e3e4e.png

Ultimately, he would have to be putting up some serious numbers which he isn't to consider him a starter. It's all crazy to think that he would be a starter, and he's never been in a Herdman camp. Kennedy as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PopePouri said:

Eh, it's not half bad. Piette should be changed with Kaye probably, but lots of good possessors and cover through midfield, which will give Davies and Laryea the ability to get high up the pitch. 

It's full bad. Our best attack would be deep from the back, as Davies and LAryea are better in 1v1 than the guys ahead of them. We also seen that doesn't work when our wingbacks get caught out, and were susceptible for a diagonal ball into the gaps. Then the suggestion is to have Scott Kennedy and Vitoria paired together - two guys who have never played together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shway said:

It's full bad. Our best attack would be deep from the back, as Davies and LAryea are better in 1v1 than the guys ahead of them. We also seen that doesn't work when our wingbacks get caught out, and were susceptible for a diagonal ball into the gaps. Then the suggestion is to have Scott Kennedy and Vitoria paired together - two guys who have never played together.

Kennedy and Buchanan have never played for the senior team. That coupled with the idea of Osorio playing out wide leave it open for criticism. Not to say Osorio can't play out there, but it's not his best position and we are blessed with a lot of talented wingers, so the idea we would play a central midfielder out there is a little odd.

Maybe the idea is to have him tuck inside and leave space for Davies to attack into.

I am personally warming up to the idea of Laryea and Davies both playing on the left side. Both can play winger and full back, so you could get some mid game interchange. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, One American said:

By next year:  

-----------------------------------David

----Osorio-------------------Arfield-------------------Buchanan

---------------Eustaquio------------------Piette

----Davies---------Kennedy-------Vitoria(?)---------Laryea

---------------------------------Borjan

 

The changes I’d make to your lineup IMO, Larin up top, David for Arfield. Eustaquio/Hutch in the mid, and if no Hutch, then I put Arfield there. Hoilett for Oso, Davies to RM, Laryea LB and ZBG Rb. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The initial post by One American references next year, so I'm assuming that Kennedy and Buchanan will progress to a being a starter. To be fair,  it's not out of the possibility of reason. I have my doubts.

With regard to Oso on the left, you're right. The idea would be to give him the ability to come inside as a faux 10 and play off of Arfield. That along with the double-pivot as cover will give Davies the freedom on the left to bomb forward.

Quote

I am personally warming up to the idea of Laryea and Davies both playing on the left side. Both can play winger and full back, so you could get some mid game interchange.

This may be a better solution. Bring in ZBG at RB.

Edited by PopePouri
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Obinna said:

 

I have noticed that Americans seem way more excited about Buchanan than we are. 

I suspect that is because he plays for an American team who (with all due respect) are unexciting and unappealing to most Canadians. That may be unfair to New England considering their history, but at least that's my feeling towards the club. I am sure I am not the only Canadian who feels that way.

It may also be because they, unlike us, probably get to see him play on a more regular basis. From the highlights of that last game it looks like Tajon is growing in confidence over the season compared to when I last saw him play a game, which was a few months ago now. Perhaps with NE playing TFC on Wednesday we'll get a better look for ourselves, on how he is progressing but it's tough to say just based on edited highlights. Similarly, I still have only seen highlights of Dayne St. Clair and Alistair Johnston playing, so it's difficult to say where they actually fit on our depth chart until I do.

Another American has provided his Canada best XI today on the MLS extra time show:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It may also be because they, unlike us, probably get to see him play on a more regular basis. From the highlights of that last game it looks like Tajon is growing in confidence over the season compared to when I last saw him play a game, which was a few months ago now. Perhaps with NE playing TFC on Wednesday we'll get a better look for ourselves, on how he is progressing but it's tough to say just based on edited highlights. Similarly, I still have only seen highlights of Dayne St. Clair and Alistair Johnston playing, so it's difficult to say where they actually fit on our depth chart until I do.

Another American has provided his Canada best XI today on the MLS extra time show:

 

Not even a mention of Eustaquio. We are better than they think if players like him are going under their radar :) 

Edited by Obinna
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Obinna said:

Not even a mention of Eustaquio. We are better than they think if players like him are going under their radar :)

Hopefully for the USMNT's sake Berhalter isn't using Extra Time as his main scouting source. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

It may also be because they, unlike us, probably get to see him play on a more regular basis. From the highlights of that last game it looks like Tajon is growing in confidence over the season compared to when I last saw him play a game, which was a few months ago now. Perhaps with NE playing TFC on Wednesday we'll get a better look for ourselves, on how he is progressing but it's tough to say just based on edited highlights. Similarly, I still have only seen highlights of Dayne St. Clair and Alistair Johnston playing, so it's difficult to say where they actually fit on our depth chart until I do.

Another American has provided his Canada best XI today on the MLS extra time show:

 

Tajon has always looked bright when I have watched NE games on DAZN. He overthinks sometimes which messes his end product but even since he broke on the scene in his draft year you could tell he was raw but had something there. He is a bit of a sleeper for the reasons you say.

 Likewise Johnston, another that wasn't highlighted to us on here through the national team set up and seems to have popped up from nowhere. Which of course isn't strictly true. I saw most of his first 4/5 games but haven't seen since. I was really impressed up to then. He looked good on the wing but also solid as a full back where the coach sees him full time. Decent height, decent pace (not lightning quick), good technique, disciplined and looks to have decent IQ for moving the ball. I am interested to see him play through the middle, where has apparently played before.

Both players look like good versatile additions for which ever squad he is used in next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about Oliver Platt's 64-man depth chart....

If we are truly going to use 3 separate squads, we may want to consider making our Gold Cup squad entirely domestic:

Crepeau, Carducci, St. Clair, Brault-Guillard, Zator, Waterman, Jakovic, Didic, Edgar, Miller, Awuah, Teibert, Chapman, Osorio, Bekker, Edwards, Sissoko, Piette, Tabla, Bustos, Akindele, Ricketts, Buchanan, Babouli 

Names in bold are changes I made. 15 MLS & 9 CPL. Everyone should be in season.

Conversely, we can go "mostly" European for our WCQ. Keep players like Akinola, Nelson and Okello on that side of things, just for some young, fresh legs. That'd be find by me. Tristan Henry is 3rd keeper, so not a big deal if he's just getting his season started.

The big difference would be to shift Osorio and Piette to the Gold Cup team. Replace them with Yankov and Paton. Gives the GC squad some reinforcement and plus we can use those two youngsters at a time when they are actually in-season, rather than over the summer during GC/Olympic qualifying

WCQ: Borjan, Leurwiler, Henry, Laryea, Cordova, Henry, Vitoria, James, Davies, Adekugbe, Kaye, Yankov, Hutchinson, Eustaquio, Arfield, Paton, Okello, Nelson, David, Cavallini, Hoilett, Akinola, Larin

Edited by Obinna
Link to post
Share on other sites

WCQ is #1 priority; you take your best squad of 23 including your best back ups for each position. Injuries happen. Players have off games. If Borjan goes down, I want our 2nd best keeper stepping in . If Laryea cramps up, ZBG steps in. I get that we want to try and field 3 strong teams and some players may not see action in WCQ, but only if we don't weaken our WC squad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll throw three lineups into the mix for fun, if I had to pick as of today based on current form and regular minutes. 

The boss has been rolling out a type of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1/4-4-2 but the mid and forwards are very dynamic with in-game formation changes when attacking and defending.  I'm going to set it up as a 4-2-3-1 for simplicity even though during the game it won't always be playing like a 4-2-3-1.

Remember, often times against the US it was Davies and David playing as two strikers and our back 4 vs USA was:                                  Millar, Cornelius, Vitoria, Lareya. 

Anyways,

                        David         

Davies           Osorio         Arfield

      Eustaquio            Kaye

Lareya    Cornelius  Henry   ZBG

                        Borjan

or

                       David

Hoilett          Osorio         Arfield

         Eustaquio       Kaye 

Davies   Cornelius  Henry   Lareya

                       Borjan

or

                       Larin

Hoilett          David          Arfield

          Eustaquio      Kaye

Davies   Corenlius Henry  Lareya

                       Borjan

In my honest humble opinion all those lineups are top 5 CONCACAF, and you have studs coming off the bench. 

*With lack of games I don't think we can afford or risk to experiment many changes, we could see the exact lineup as vs USA 2-0 win.

*I'm not 100% sold on Osorio as central but he is in there cause he is a one of the bosses favorites and for me he has not done anything to lose that spot and he 100% can defend and break up counters.*  

* I do think ZBG can do a capable job and I'd love to see Lareya and Davies on the same flank.  

* I left Miller and James out, just because I would like to see them get more regular minutes at club, but definitely could be starters by next March.* 

Thoughts? In general... 

It's hard not to think about our CMNT during international window. Couldn't resist with the lineup post.

  

 

Edited by apbsmith
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

I'll throw three lineups into the mix for fun, if I had to pick as of today based on current form and regular minutes. 

The boss has been rolling out a type of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1/4-4-2 but the mid and forwards are very dynamic with in-game formation changes when attacking and defending.  I'm going to set it up as a 4-2-3-1 for simplicity even though during the game it won't always be playing like a 4-2-3-1.

Remember, often times against the US it was Davies and David playing as two strikers and our back 4 vs USA was:                                  Millar, Cornelius, Vitoria, Lareya. 

Anyways,

                        David         

Davies           Osorio         Arfield

      Eustaquio            Kaye

Lareya    Cornelius  Henry   ZBG

                        Borjan

or

                       David

Hoilett          Osorio         Arfield

         Eustaquio       Kaye 

Davies   Cornelius  Henry   Lareya

                       Borjan

or

                       Larin

Hoilett          David          Arfield

          Eustaquio      Kaye

Davies   Corenlius Henry  Lareya

                       Borjan

In my honest humble opinion all those lineups are top 5 CONCACAF, and you have studs coming off the bench. 

*With lack of games I don't think we can afford or risk to experiment many changes, we could see the exact lineup as vs USA 2-0 win.

*I'm not 100% sold on Osorio as central but he is in there cause he is a one of the bosses favorites and for me he has not done anything to lose that spot and he 100% can defend and break up counters.*  

* I do think ZBG can do a capable job and I'd love to see Lareya and Davies on the same flank.  

* I left Miller and James out, just because I would like to see them get more regular minutes at club, but definitely could be starters by next March.* 

Thoughts? In general... 

It's hard not to think about our CMNT during international window. Couldn't resist with the lineup post.

  

 

Henry? Are you trying to give me a heart attack? Lol

Cornelius paired with Vitoria works much better than with Henry

Edited by Ansem
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Henry starts in our best 11 because a) He's a Herdman favourite and this may be unpopular but b) is our best cb wether some people like it or not.

You're absolutely right, however it doesn't change the fact that most of us cringe at seeing his name on the sheet.  EVERY TIME!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

I'll throw three lineups into the mix for fun, if I had to pick as of today based on current form and regular minutes. 

The boss has been rolling out a type of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1/4-4-2 but the mid and forwards are very dynamic with in-game formation changes when attacking and defending.  I'm going to set it up as a 4-2-3-1 for simplicity even though during the game it won't always be playing like a 4-2-3-1.

Remember, often times against the US it was Davies and David playing as two strikers and our back 4 vs USA was:                                  Millar, Cornelius, Vitoria, Lareya. 

Anyways,

                        David         

Davies           Osorio         Arfield

      Eustaquio            Kaye

Lareya    Cornelius  Henry   ZBG

                        Borjan

or

                       David

Hoilett          Osorio         Arfield

         Eustaquio       Kaye 

Davies   Cornelius  Henry   Lareya

                       Borjan

or

                       Larin

Hoilett          David          Arfield

          Eustaquio      Kaye

Davies   Corenlius Henry  Lareya

                       Borjan

In my honest humble opinion all those lineups are top 5 CONCACAF, and you have studs coming off the bench. 

*With lack of games I don't think we can afford or risk to experiment many changes, we could see the exact lineup as vs USA 2-0 win.

*I'm not 100% sold on Osorio as central but he is in there cause he is a one of the bosses favorites and for me he has not done anything to lose that spot and he 100% can defend and break up counters.*  

* I do think ZBG can do a capable job and I'd love to see Lareya and Davies on the same flank.  

* I left Miller and James out, just because I would like to see them get more regular minutes at club, but definitely could be starters by next March.* 

Thoughts? In general... 

It's hard not to think about our CMNT during international window. Couldn't resist with the lineup post.

  

 

Nice line up, and I know its Herdman's favorite formation, however I feel the 4-2-3-1 or even the 4-3-3 does not get our best players in their best roles.  I'm leaning towards:

------------------------Cav / David
Davies / Eustaquio / Arfield / Hoilett
Laryea / Cornelius / Vitoria / ZBG

---------------------------Cav / David
Davies / Kaye / Eustaquio / Arfield / Laryea
Cornelius or Kennedy / Hutch or Vitoria / James or Henry

Personally I'm all in on the 3-5-2.  Its helps us win the midfield and keep pressure off the CB's, while keeping the other teams honest with a killer counter attack threat with Davies & Laryea bombing down the flanks, the middle three all have great vision and distribution, while Cav and David know where the net is. All while providing extra cover at the back.  Its a killer line up and our best bet.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Obinna said:

WCQ: Borjan, Leurwiler, Henry, Laryea, Cordova, Henry, Vitoria, James, Davies, Adekugbe, Kaye, Yankov, Hutchinson, Eustaquio, Arfield, Paton, Okello, Nelson, David, Cavallini, Hoilett, Akinola, Larin

Psssst ... you've got Henry in there twice. Change it quick before @Ansem notices. He's liable to jump out a window!

Goalie right?

Edited by Norrin Radd
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ansem said:

Henry? Are you trying to give me a heart attack? Lol

Cornelius paired with Vitoria works much better than with Henry

Sorry for the heart attack,  ya you could be correct. As long as Vitoria continues seeing minutes this season(which he is) he could hold down that RCB spot. 

I'm also aware Vitoria will be 35 almost 36 if we do make Qatar, but it's always got to be win now mindset and not look ahead.  I could also see James take the RCB spot tbh, depending how his season goes.

For what it's worth, Henry even rocked the arm band  for a S.K. cup game this summer and is a fan favorite apparently. You don't really get handed the arm band even if it is only a cup game in your first season if you are not performing to standard. 

(....Ducks... hoping I don't derail this thread to how good is the S.K league, lol).

 

Edited by apbsmith
Derail not detail
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...