General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

If you play Davies at LB, you need a defensive minded RB. When we lost with Davies at LB, both Laryea and Godhino were there. Would have to be Brault-Guillard.

I'd start Hutchinson over Kaye to set the pace, then sub him for someone else later

Other than that, that's a good line up

Back in 2018, when Herdman first took over, we played virtually this exact lineup but had Liam Millar at RB. We outscored opponents 14-0. CONCACAF is so variable in quality that I find it really difficult to discuss a strongest 11 without talking about the opponent 

8 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Back in 2018, when Herdman first took over, we played virtually this exact lineup but had Liam Millar at RB. We outscored opponents 14-0. CONCACAF is so variable in quality that I find it really difficult to discuss a strongest 11 without talking about the opponent 

I meant in a WCQ group situation, my bad

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I meant in a WCQ group situation, my bad

That’s totally fair then. I think midfield cover is just as important though. You’ll often see Goretzka/Kimmich/Thiago covering for the fullbacks at Bayern. Thankfully I think we have the players for this with Piette, Kaye, Arfield... I worry about Hutch still having the legs for it, but he never seems to disappoint

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Not sure where to post this but it's a sad day for footie fans ....Scallywags at Yonge & St. Clair is closing!  😯

Sad indeed. I've heard through the community that the owners are moving to the Maritimes.

lineup.png.fe1ca71acd0e06606b517316aa792c95.png

IMO I still think this is our best lineup to use based on our players.  

- It frees up Davies in the LWB position to have 1v1s, while having a natural RB in ZBG to balance the defence when Davies goes forward. It also allows Cornelius to slide in behind the space that Davies leave.
- Kaye and Eustaqiuo are both ball winners/play disrupters, while also being great long and short passers of the ball (especially in the final 3rd)
- David sitting behind the lone striker allows him to be in his preferred position, and able to link and receive with the wide and players behind him
- Larin over Cavallini for his speed in the breakouts, and his hold up play. Yes Lucas can hold the ball up, but I prefer Larin in this role as he has done well this past season in Belgium.
_ Then we have guys like Cavallini, Osorio, Piette, Hoilett 
- This formation and personnel also allows us to easily transition from a 3-5-2 to a 4-3-3 if needed. 

218839164_lineup(1).png.707892d469bae9132122b4fd1b4dcfd8.png

18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Man things have come a long way.  Shway's lineup leaves, Hoilett, Cavallini, Piette, Osorio, Akindele, Lareya and Hutch as options for the bench.  5 MLS starters, a former EPL player and a legend.  WOW.  Having depth is something I could get used to.  

Right, and it's only increasing/getting better with some of the young guns you didn't mention in Millar, Miller, Fraser, Brym, and Nelson!

- Hutch got left out because who knows what he's doing. 
- Hoilett will/should be our super sub.
- Piette while good at what he does, I think he hasn't improved the other facets of his position (distribution/covering ground). However he's perfect to come on to close out a game.
- Osorio is a great to come off the bench to add or slow down the game/keep possession. 
- Laryea vs ZBG is a tough battle/pick. Both get forward, both are adequate defensively. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

- It frees up Davies in the LWB position to have 1v1s, while having a natural RB in ZBG to balance the defence when Davies goes forward. It also allows Cornelius to slide in behind the space that Davies leave.
- Kaye and Eustaqiuo are both ball winners/play disrupters, while also being great long and short passers of the ball (especially in the final 3rd)
- David sitting behind the lone striker allows him to be in his preferred position, and able to link and receive with the wide and players behind him
- Larin over Cavallini for his speed in the breakouts, and his hold up play. Yes Lucas can hold the ball up, but I prefer Larin in this role as he has done well this past season in Belgium.
- This formation and personnel also allows us to easily transition from a 3-5-2 to a 4-3-3 if needed. 

I understand the desire to play Davies more advanced, but I think we're weaker overall with Hoilett on the bench and Cornelius out of position.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I like this a lot. One thing I would like to add is that in Hoilett you have a player who can play the David role if needed. 

May I suggest Miller as a replacement for Cornelius here?

Edited by Obinna

Nice lineup.  However, if we're talking about playing today, I feel Hutch has a spot in the 11.  The backline is just not dependable enough.  I feel that with Eustaquio, Kaye or Piette playing the Def-mid role we've got enough defensive savy & skill to cover for Hutch's limitations at CB.  Any way we add it up, he's light years ahead of Henry, Vitoria and Cornelius in experience, focus and temperament. 

I'm also all-in for the 3-5-2, however I'd go with 

"Miller - Hutch - Vitoria"

Edited by costarg

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I like this a lot. One thing I would like to add is that in Hoilett you have a player who can play the David role if needed. 

May I suggest Miller as a replacement for Cornelius here?

Miller has had more club starts as an LB, looked more than sound defensively in that spot in the very small (two match) sample I watched last year but I would have with him ahead of the others vying for that regular place in the back four.  

Hoillet would be terrific off the bench if we are chasing the game. 

The trio of Davies, David, and Arfield can interchange positions in this formation as needed.  The only question mark I have is about winning the ball/defensive grit in the holding pairing.  Seems like a lot are down on Piette but I think he brings a balance to the midfield.  And if the evergreen Hutchinson wants one last hurrah for the shorter term, who loses out as the starter?

9 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Miller has had more club starts as an LB, looked more than sound defensively in that spot in the very small (two match) sample I watched last year but I would have with him ahead of the others vying for that regular place in the back four.  

Hoillet would be terrific off the bench if we are chasing the game. 

The trio of Davies, David, and Arfield can interchange positions in this formation as needed.  The only question mark I have is about winning the ball/defensive grit in the holding pairing.  Seems like a lot are down on Piette but I think he brings a balance to the midfield.  And if the evergreen Hutchinson wants one last hurrah for the shorter term, who loses out as the starter?

It's a good question with no obvious answer, which speaks to our depth. 

The defensive double pivot gives us the choice of Kaye, Eustaquio, Hutchinson, Piette and Fraser can also probably add his name to the list as well. I really think any combination of those 4 makes us competitive, but if we have to dip down to the 5th man (Fraser), we won't see a big drop. He proved that in nations league when he came on for Kaye. He proved that for TFC, one of the top MLS teams, when filling in for Bradley.

As for Arfield, you could put Osorio in that spot, and the young kid Yankov would probably be option 3 if he decided to join our program, which seems like 50-50 odds at the moment. 

Future looking bright. 

When you have depth, selections are usually based on club performance/playing time. Who is in form? Who is match fit? Vitoria is not seeing the field and will Cornelius win a starting place with VW? The same for Miller and Fraser. It's tough to throw a player on the field in a crucial match if he hasn't played much for his club.  Fraser came through vs the US but it was one game. That's the one concern I have with 3 at the back.  

26 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

When you have depth, selections are usually based on club performance/playing time. Who is in form? Who is match fit? Vitoria is not seeing the field and will Cornelius win a starting place with VW? The same for Miller and Fraser. It's tough to throw a player on the field in a crucial match if he hasn't played much for his club.  Fraser came through vs the US but it was one game. That's the one concern I have with 3 at the back.  

Very true. 

Kinda uncharted territory for us, but that's where we are at. 

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

In a 3-5-2...how I would do it

GK- Borjan

LB- Adekugbe

CB- Cornelius 

RB- Brault-Guillard 

CDM- Eustaquio 

CM- Kaye

LW- Davies

CAM- Arfield 

RW- David

LS- Hoilett

RS- Cavallini 

No offense mate but this is a really bad and unbalanced lineup. A 3 man backline with only 1 CB is unbalanced and weak defensively, and a 4 man front line is a bit ridiculous. 

6 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

No offense mate but this is a really bad and unbalanced lineup. A 3 man backline with only 1 CB is unbalanced and weak defensively, and a 4 man front line is a bit ridiculous. 

How so? I mean 3-5-2 is a formation that is seldom used but I went with a defense that is not only youthful but one that is actually pretty exciting. They are not only fast on the ball but having Eustaquio and Kaye play in front of them more than makes up for that especially if they track back to set up a defensive anchor. But then afterwards the attack is pretty solid are you kidding me especially if you have Davies, Arfield, David, Hoilett and Cavallini all up there.

A team that has youth but has experience also...makes for a pretty good combination 

26 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

In a 3-5-2...how I would do it

GK- Borjan

LB- Adekugbe

CB- Cornelius 

RB- Brault-Guillard 

CDM- Eustaquio 

CM- Kaye

LW- Davies

CAM- Arfield 

RW- Osorio

LS- David