General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Ah yes because those european nations would love to jump on board that

Has anyone asked ? I doubt anyone has brought up the idea. Also Finland is ranked I think even lower then us, Norway, Denmark and Russia are middle in pack of FIFA rankings and with all great  teams in Europe,  The new confederation could potentially make it easier for those teams to qualify for the World Cup depending on how many spots It would get. At least 3 + if I was a betting man. 

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I'm contemplating on whether this guy is even more dumb than the idiot from vancouver 

Wow ! 

Edited by SpecialK

It's an exciting time to be a fan of the CMNT.  For the first time, the CSA seems to be taking the development of their players and program seriously. It's exciting.

The recent additions of duals Hoillet and Arfield. The wunderkind Davies (who is still only 16 by the way, remember that). Cavallini, Larin, Jackson-Hamel, Froese, Petrasso, et al. These are good players, but not great players. This is not a short term game. Don't get me wrong, it's great to see the team play with an attacking mindset for the first time in a looooong time.  It's great to see the young kids getting an opportunity to play for the Country.  But, this has to include a long term plan.  One that starts from the bottom - the kids and the youth players - and builds towards the senior team.  If they do it right, we won't see any sustained results for the next decade.

People talk about how big of a joke Concacaf is but the top teams in the region are getting to the world cup, and getting results in the world cup. Canadian soccer needs to be able to compete with teams in the region and beat them consistently both home and away before they should be concerned with beating some random team from Europe or South America.

Patience...patience...patience. I'm sure the regulars on this site have plenty of that.

In the mean time...Go Canada!

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Has anyone asked ? I doubt anyone has brought up the idea. Also Finland is ranked I think even lower then us, Norway, Denmark and Russia are middle in pack of FIFA rankings and with all great  teams in Europe,  The new confederation could potentially make it easier for those teams to qualify for the World Cup depending on how many spots It would get. At least 3 + if I was a betting man. 

Wow ! 

Alright bro you can be the one to ask. See how that goes

We  have  to  play  2  games  during   FIFA  dates   that  is  important   I  would  not  mind  seeing  a  mini  camp  in  Late  January  or  early  Feburary  similar   to  what  they  did  this  past  year   in  Bermuda  have  it  for  the  North American based  players 

18 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

I could not agree more with you! enough of these one game fixtures. To have a pre-friendly camp for a match is not good. Should always be 2! I don't know which nutcase at the CSA thought that 1 is just fine 

Very true who thought playing one game would be enough. Well Zambrano will hopefully right the ship and get us many games for him to test many more players creating depth for the team. Also may help players without team gain teams in the future, because it will be necessary for no players in CMNT to be part of the Unattached FC seriously. CPL obviously will help in that situation by next year or year after. I think 2018 will be good especially after WC tournament might help draw some fans to the new league. Can't lie if it were possible for it to start this year it would of been awesome... just wish they had started this idea years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Why hasn't the CSA announced a second international friendly in September after playing Jamaica? ??‍♂️

Talk about "taking advantage of all FIFA dates"

Saving money to bring England in in November. Hosting friendlies costs a good amount of money.

Edited by matty

On to another topic; Forwards/Strickers! I have a mixed opinion on this.

Larin, Ricketts, Cavallini and Jackson-Hamel are the present and our best options by far

Part of me is saying 'Screw ^Simeon Jackson (30) & *Marcus Haber (28) they're done and lack level as they play in League One & Scottish Premiership respectively. Not neccesary to call them up''

But then the other part of me says ''Maybe we can bring them in for depth and to help transition the young guys. They may be so so right now but they still have some football left in them. Perhaps we can get everything that's left and have them as subs for matches. All that experience/Leadership can be used for good''

I mean they may not be in the big picture in 3-5 years from now and with the current CMNT Roster, they are in the outside looking in but still playing meaningful football.

^ = In his prime he was sensational

* = Never really impressed

What do you guys think? 

10 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

On to another topic; Forwards/Strickers! I have a mixed opinion on this.

Larin, Ricketts, Cavallini and Jackson-Hamel are the present and our best options by far

Part of me is saying 'Screw ^Simeon Jackson (30) & *Marcus Haber (28) they're done and lack level as they play in League One & Scottish Premiership respectively. Not neccesary to call them up''

But then the other part of me says ''Maybe we can bring them in for depth and to help transition the young guys. They may be so so right now but they still have some football left in them. Perhaps we can get everything that's left and have them as subs for matches. All that experience/Leadership can be used for good''

I mean they may not be in the big picture in 3-5 years from now and with the current CMNT Roster, they are in the outside looking in but still playing meaningful football.

^ = In his prime he was sensational

* = Never really impressed

What do you guys think? 

Tough to post, but they should still be in play for CMNT. If they're in good form compared to other strikers and bring that to the national team can't why you don't play them until they retire for international games. Are they currently better most likely not  at this moment, but at the same time no strikers scored a goal during the Gold Cup. More depth will be great for CMNT and should help create more competitive battles for positions which should make them better overall as a team. OZ has a long way to go and should focus on improving offense no doubt make a well oiled machine with also an increase added attention in finding future CB pairings or defensive four or three. That I think should be his concerns overall. Let's not count out any players just yet.

Also I agree with everyone that yes Canada should have two games set for September and hopefully something comes out soon about a possible secondary game. I would not mind a two game series with Jamaica overall that is alright to and worth it as well. 

Regarding Jackson and Haber, I think there is a slightly different argument for the two.

Haber is a couple of years younger (also younger than Ricketts), and can still potentially contribute depending on his club form.  Not sure how likely it is for him to earn a call up based on how he is playing at the time, but I wouldn't cross him off the list.  But - and I say this meaning no disrespect - I don't see any reason to call in Jackson going forward.  He is playing in the 3rd tier of English footy, and isn't lighting it up at that level,.  We have much younger guys who are playing at higher levels and look to have a higher ceiling based on their age.  Thus I don't see any argument for bringing him in just as some sort of mentor - its not like he is a former world-beater that can pass on all his big-game experience.  IMO, it is better to give spots/minutes to the guys we know will be leading the charge for the next decade, with Haber still in the mix as someone who can make a case.

Bernier's involvement in the GC wasn't some kind of testimonial or succession planning - he was there because (in the absence of Hutch) he was the best we had at that position.  And barring some sort unanticipated bump in their level of play, I don't see Jackson (for sure) or Haber (less sure) likely making that kind of case for a call-up given our other options up front.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

What does everyone think of the U-15 team selection ? Not many sigma players.

It is true that Sigma players have been overlooked in the past but it is pretty hard to be sure this is still the reason why there are no Sigma players on the U15 team. The academy set-up in Canada has changed drastically in the last 5 years and maybe Toronto FC academy is actually able to attract the best young players now instead of Sigma doing the better job. Still something to watch for in the future if Sigma's player continue to be the top players and are still excluded from the youth national set-up.

Edited by Ruffian

Usually its a complaint that there are not enough Impact players or too many TFC players, now its where are the Sigma kids.  Does anyone actually know anything about these kids??  Enough to speak intelligently about the roster?  Good luck to the kids, have a good tournie and I hope a few of them turn into grade A prospects.  

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

What does everyone think of the U-15 team selection ? Not many sigma players.

The only player I have ever heard of, or watched highlights of, is Julian Accettola of TFC Academy.  He has scored a lot for them (hence the highlight packages), plus I think he was MVP of one of the big Euro teams camps that was held in Toronto.  Other than that, I guess we'll know more once they play the games in a week or so.

1 minute ago, Ivan said:

The only player I have ever heard of, or watched highlights of, is Julian Accettola of TFC Academy.  He has scored a lot for them (hence the highlight packages), plus I think he was MVP of one of the big Euro teams camps that was held in Toronto.  Other than that, I guess we'll know more once they play the games in a week or so.

Julian's younger bros. Luca (2004) is the one who won the Feyenoord and Barcelona ID camps back in 2014.

13 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Julian's younger bros. Luca (2004) is the one who won the Feyenoord and Barcelona ID camps back in 2014.

Yup. Julian is a very good prospect in his own right, but Luca is...special. He's a spitting image of Andrew Carleton, for those fimilar with American prospects. As good a passer as you'll ever find for a u14 player and beats kids 1v1 with skill rather than pace.

Edited by harrycoyster