Canada vs Jamaica Post Match Thread

Until I see some sustained and continued success from this team, I will stand by my position that we are minnows, and that QF is the exception, and not the rule.  Just look at our recent history.  

Don't get me wrong, I want it as bad as the next person, but I've shed too many tears and suffered too many failures to sit here and get my hopes up.

In this tournament, we failed to win against FIFA opposition.  The last time we beat a FIFA opponent in the Gold Cup was 2009!  Call me curmudgeonly, but I've been burned too many times to get my hopes up.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RJB said:

Until I see some sustained and continued success from this team, I will stand by my position that we are minnows, and that QF is the exception, and not the rule.  Just look at our recent history.  

Don't get me wrong, I want it as bad as the next person, but I've shed too many tears and suffered too many failures to sit here and get my hopes up.

In this tournament, we failed to win against FIFA opposition.  The last time we beat a FIFA opponent in the Gold Cup was 2009!  Call me curmudgeonly, but I've been burned too many times to get my hopes up.

Would you place El Salvador and Honduras outside of the CONCACAF Top 10? Because Canada defeated both of them in the most recent World Cup qualifying cycle and drew Honduras in this Gold Cup. And also drew Costa Rica, a recent "giant" in the region.

You can accept that Canada is nowhere near the top tier of the region without being a "minnow." 

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

On the ones that got on net, the keeper dealt with them either comfortably or safely.  Apart from Hoillet's shot and save, the two best chances were ones that missed the net.

So?

Look, there's a space between where the keeper can get it and where it hits the post or goes out. The space where a goal is scored. Some keepers make that narrower, that is all. 

Say the space is 80 cm wide. You shoot to the keeper, or you shoot out, you still have missed the space where you would have scored. By an equal distance. Exactly the same even. One on net, one off, both missing by the same distance. 

There is no reason to rate a shot on goal over a shot off the net.

3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Oh come on. Mexico, Costa Rica, and the US have all played like garbage in the Gold Cup for whatever reason, but on paper their rosters are clearly superior to ours. There isn't a defender on any of those rosters that wouldn't immediately be our best defender. 

Figueroa on Honduras is way better than anything we have as well in the CB position.

The big positive for me is that Canada didn't have to pack it in on defense and didn't get blown out. That put the ball in at the feet of the midfield, the strongest part of the team. If one of the strikers can get it together up top, things will really start to hum. 

5 hours ago, DigzTFC said:

It also has to be highlighted how bad our set pieces were.  Every free kick and corner was a waste. That can be coached.

Actually, there was one late that went just slightly long, we simply erred on how to get to it. We needed one player to stay long, that is all, then we've had a chance on goal.

And we had a few more that were venemous. Scoring on set pieces is important, but does not count for any more than 5-10% of goals normally, so can't be overrated. 

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Yes, "shots on goal" is a hockey mentality. It does not apply to football. There is absolutely no point whatsoever in shooting straight at the keeper, you will never score that way.

Well I mean goals do go through keepers and they give up rebounds so it's not useless. I think it's silly to look at statistically because it's not really repeatable because, like you guys say, players are trying to score not just "get it deep".

That being said in discrete terms a shot on net can be optimal. For example the Petrasso chance; hard and low to far post is optimal. Gives you a chance to score and leads to a dangerous rebound. That type of play is repeatable. Missing the target near post on that chance would be bad. 

22 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Larin - 20-21 games with Canada 5 goals ( plays alone up top)

Larin - 76 MLS games and 39 goals ( normally plays with another Striker)

Cavallini - 6 games with Canada 0 goals ( plays alone up top) 

Cavallini - this year 14 games with Penarol and 5 goals ( plays with another striker)

Interesting .... 

im curious why our strikers have a hard time scoring ????

I think thats mostly because the second striker is not really a striker but more of a number 10.  Much like what NolbertoS was saying; that what we really need is a number 10.  Is Giovinco really a striker?  In my mind, no.  But he listed as a striker.  I dont really like the word "striker" and have stopped using it years ago but making the exception here.  

I prefer to use the term "Forward".  Nobody really plays with two strikers. Thy may have two fwd's whereby one that is creator and who can drop more back in MF to collect balls or passes and who can also score goals. 

Right now, we are in a generational change.  Some of the players are the left overs from the dark days of Canadian Soccer between 1998 - 2016.  2017 we're actually getting quality players in Canada with some technical ability.  Yallop, Floro and Hart brought the program so down that honestly.  We could've gone coachless and achieved the same result.  Moving forward, if we don't make the QF or at leadt a semi-final, we are just mediocre.  The players themselves should set the bar and believe in themselves to play better.  I still think WC appearance is 8-9 years away for WCQ 2026.  In the meantime to set up the kids for that tenure, the present players should do there all to win a Gold Cup minimum in the next 8-9 years.  Thats the bar I'm setting for the CSA and the players.  Without high expectations, we never move on from being conservative in nature here.

3 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Yes, "shots on goal" is a hockey mentality. It does not apply to football. There is absolutely no point whatsoever in shooting straight at the keeper, you will never score that way.

You force the keeper to deal with the shot.  You could get a rebound and score from that.  So I respectfully disagree because I think it does matter.   

44 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

You force the keeper to deal with the shot.  You could get a rebound and score from that.  So I respectfully disagree because I think it does matter.   

Getting the shots on frame is the important thing. Making the keeper deal with it. The more awkward they have to move the better. Keepers love "high, wide and straight to them". Avoid those but get the shots on frame is the key.

11 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Oh come on. Mexico, Costa Rica, and the US have all played like garbage in the Gold Cup for whatever reason, but on paper their rosters are clearly superior to ours. There isn't a defender on any of those rosters that wouldn't immediately be our best defender. 

On paper Honduras' defenders would be in the same category too, but I'm going by what I actually see on the field. Which is a little more important than what is on paper IMO

This tournament gave us something to look at for once and say "we can build on this". 

I'm not gonna tell you I'm 100% satisfied with the way we played but we improved and that's all that matters. 

Now there's a 2 year window and it's the CSA's job to fill most FIFA dates with meaningful competitive International friendlies. 

Overall Review:

• Scott Arfield / Junior Hoilett ??????

• Very Surprised with the level shown of Piette 

• Milan Borjan had some incredible performances for us 

• Alphonso Davies is the future without a doubt (thinking long-term into 2026 WC). 

• Now there's competition in the attack; With Ricketts, Larin, Cavallini & Jackson-Hamel there will be the question of who starts? And that's music to my ears. 

• The Right back position can be filled by Petrasso/Aird no problem. 

• Marcel de Jong proved that LB is his to lose! Still got few more good years left in him for sure. 

• My only concern is CB; where Jackovic and Vitoria were super slow, the speedy Manrekar James is just 23 years old and looks good for the future. Adam Straith didn't play so therefore no comment on him 

• Our Captain Patrice Bernier gave everything he had left and as expected will retire at the end of the season. 

• And Finally Head Coach Octavio Zambrano I give him an 7.5/10

17 hours ago, Keegan said:

I don't think Jakovic is as slow as you guys think.  Like larin he is deceptively fast, in fact when he was on dc united obviously he was younger but he was voted fastest player on the squad 

He has a decent enough recovery burst and you saw that a couple of times in this where he was fouled from behind in the process.  I just don't think he's as error free as some around here make him out to be.

Archived