Canada vs Jamaica Post Match Thread

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

Over the course of this tournament we discovered a way to play, found who our true #1 striker is and saw Piette take the defensive midfielder position and claim it as his own...not to mention Davies.

This one stung, but damn was this ever a positive step as a whole.

Now we need to figure out who our CBs can be going forward.

James did well coming in and still is pretty young. I think the other side will be Didic or Gasparetto. I think Petrasso did a decent job at rb but I wouldn't be surprised to see Cordova taking that position as he's now playing at a high level.  

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Arfield was brilliant in the middle third tonight. turned possession in the midfield into solid attacks.

A little lax on the set pieces, and the final third in the first half, but I thought he played well in the second half attacking the net.

I hated Larin tonight. Every game I watch of him wearing the Maple Leaf, he gets 4 or 5 great chances and misses them all. In addition tonight, he let possession die with him a couple of times in a promising position. Cav was just as bad finishing, but played smart with the ball, when he needed to involve the wingers/midfield.

Overall a depressing loss, with the traditional issues of Canada taking centre stage once again.

Both Larin and Cavallini are unable to score, but Larin seems to get more chances than Cavs - from his own doing and the way the team plays with him. Cavallini on the other hand seems to create more space for his teammates than Larin does.

Larin just barely misses a header: people say he's trash, doesn't belong on the field, can't score despite multiple amazing chances to score.

Cavallini misses a header by a lot: people say he is the clear starter, make no mention of inability to get in scoring positions, or missing the few times he does get there.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

Larin just barely misses a header: people say he's trash, doesn't belong on the field, can't score despite multiple amazing chances to score.

Cavallini misses a header by a lot: people say he is the clear starter, make no mention of inability to get in scoring positions, or missing the few times he does get there.

I know makes no sense, but some people are emotional so irrational posting will occur.

I would like to see both playing together, but someone on the midfield would have to drop to the bench.

24 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

James did well coming in and still is pretty young. I think the other side will be Didic or Gasparetto. I think Petrasso did a decent job at rb but I wouldn't be surprised to see Cordova taking that position as he's now playing at a high level.  

If we are citing slow centre backs as our issue, Didic and Gasparotto are not the answer and never will be.

10 minutes ago, Kent said:

It's undeniable that Larin has a trend of missing chances with the NT.

In addition to that tonight, he wasn't a creator. Cav missed chances, but also created well for others.

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

Larin has had 3-4 years on the Nats and hasn't proven to be the lethal striker he is in MLS.  His goal via his butt against Honduras was his career highlight in the Floro era which is sad.  Cavallini who hasn't played as a Nat since the 8-1 thrashing holds the ball better and creates. If we had a true #10 at midfield, Cavallini wouldn't need to hold up and can just focus on scoring.

Think this gold cup was a success although could have been better.

Positives: Piette impressed me - I have written him off previously but he combined very well with Arfield and provided necessary cover. Hoilett and Arfield proved moving forward they can be difference makers for us. Davies looked like he belonged and showed more than a few flashes. Cavallini back in the mix - offers us a back to goal target man and different option moving forward. Adekugbe, Osorio, Teibert back in the mix. Most importantly Zambrano seems to have a plan for every player in our squad - even when I second guessing starting Kaye in the group stage he had a role and went in and did a job; I think his tactics were more than adequate, showed the ability to adjust, and put players in our squad in positions to succeed. Petrasso at RB?! As good option as I've seen in the previous cycle.

Negatives: Need to get over the hump and beat teams like Jamaica and Honduras. Defense tonight I think proved we are a fraction behind where we need to be. Larin - we need to him score! He's too good and clinical based on what I've seen in MLS to turn in that sort of performance; maybe harsh but confident he'll have better days ahead. 

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

I don't know man.  He's having a rough year in MLS.  If Larin wants to prove he has more to offer, has to be better or else he's just another MLS journeyman that couldn't make it to Europe

He's already a star in MLS. I think you mean he'll be another Altidore, a MLS star that couldn't catch on in a big league.

Larin - 20-21 games with Canada 5 goals ( plays alone up top)

Larin - 76 MLS games and 39 goals ( normally plays with another Striker)

Cavallini - 6 games with Canada 0 goals ( plays alone up top) 

Cavallini - this year 14 games with Penarol and 5 goals ( plays with another striker)

Interesting .... 

im curious why our strikers have a hard time scoring ????

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Larin - 20-21 games with Canada 5 goals ( plays alone up top)

Larin - 76 MLS games and 39 goals ( normally plays with another Striker)

Cavallini - 6 games with Canada 0 games ( plays alone up top) 

Cavallini - this year 14 games with Penarol and 5 games ( plays with another striker)

Interesting .... 

im curious why our strikers have a hard time scoring ????

^

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Both Larin and Cavallini are unable to score, but Larin seems to get more chances than Cavs - from his own doing and the way the team plays with him. Cavallini on the other hand seems to create more space for his teammates than Larin does.

And there's the rub!  Was having a chat about it down at the pub about how Cavallini effects the field for his team mates so much more than Larin.  Can't over state the value in that.  It's an intangible quality that's hard to measure but it's there to be seen.  

Don't get me wrong, Larin is growing on me but he's a work in progress.  No doubt about it.  Think Ozzie spilled it by going with Larin out of the gate though.  Not sure what was in his head.  Fresh legs?  Fresh enthusiasm?  Whatever, but wouldn't have been my call . 

Omg this must be rocket Science . 

Larin -   Strengths  : Big , Strong , great on the ball in the box, great in the air, good touch, quick in the box. Eye for goal.

Weaknesses - not very fast, can't beat guys one on one in open field,  not good defensively, he is a poacher ( also a strength). He needs a playmaker to get him the ball and another striker to open things up for him.

hes a great striker but with limits and needs to use  properly . Canada does not use him the right way and we don't have solid play maker  midfield . Also  for some strange reason we don't give him another striker to Open things up for him 

2 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

No, but two slow CBs playing together is a recipe for goals against.

There's a reason I said one of them would partner James not each other. Anyways I haven't seen enough of Gasparetto to comment on his speed however Didic makes up for his lack of speed with good positioning. 

I didn't like the team Zambrano set up tonight. Why go with 2 slow CBs when you have James and you know Jamaica's biggest asset is speed. James matched up well when he came on. And Larin over Cavallini was a terrible decision on so many levels. Larin as a sub was the right call. This one sucked because I thought we clearly had a better team

The only reason that OZ should not have started Larin this evening is because he'd not had the chance to build chemistry with this squad over the first three games.  These tournaments are ALL about building chemistry as quickly as possible, and growing from game to game. Look at the Yanks vs. El Salvador yesterday. They won, yeah, but they looked so disjointed at times, and that was because they made SO many changes to the squad.

Larin and Cavallini did not finish well tonight. I am still not seeing anything significant that says one is better than the other. Larin came a hell of a lot closer to scoring tonight than Cavallini, to be fair. And while Cavallini's hold up play was a bit better than Larin's tonight, I remain unconvinced that Lucas is our automatic starter up top.

A few of you have already touched on this, but what BOTH of these guys need is a strike partner, at minimum somebody playing directly behind them that can give them service or play off of them. If Hutch was available, then I'd have played him instead of Tiebert--genius, I know--and give Arfield a bit more license to push up in support of Larin/Cavallini. 

Overall: We showed some good signs this tournament, with a core group performing very well indeed. Arfield, Piette, Hoillet, De Jong, Borjan were especially good. Davies and Petrasso looked really good at times, with Davies falling off as the tournament wore on. The CBs were solid, if not plodding. 

Big problem tonight, if we are to be honest with ourselves: This is the first game we've played in a long time where we were asked to break down a team that bunkered and countered for 90 minutes. We are getting better, and some of the chances we created were solid, but we still do not have the quality to break down teams. Having said that, we now have SOME guys who are capable of figuring this out, and once they develop chemistry with each other will start to see better results.

Sucks to lose, but I like what I saw this tournament. 

Archived