Canada vs Jamaica Post Match Thread

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing with Davies was he thought he could be the Jamaican defenders with speed, but the whole team was fast. That's killed and overwhelmed Canada as a team. That is why we had most of the possession during the game since Canada is better technically. However there were some mental mistakes that were punished and went unpunished by the Jamaican other teams would of killed us tonight with those types of mistakes. Again those calling for Larin head are a bit over zealous and I do think the lack of cohesion was seen tonight hence I do agree that Cavallini should of started the game. Larin will grow with the team and that's going to take time. Both strikers again had one or two great chance to finish both did not finish those chances and hence if they did Canada could of easily won the game tonight. It's all good, because not many of us thought Canada would of made it out of the group. This team will be interesting to watch as they gel and get better by getting results and grinding out results for Canada. Allez les Rouge!!!

Overall it was a successful tournament. We went as far as most people expected and played better than we usually do. We also had some great individual performances and ultimately only lost 1 game and we were the better team.

I have no idea why Larin can't score for us. He has scored some incredible goals in mls against way better defenders then he saw tonight, including some challenging headers. I would say keep playing him in friendlies, once he gets going he will start scoring in bunches.

Hopefully in 2 years we are able to develop a couple decent CBs. I like Vitoria, but I think we need 1 or 2 mls/championship level players. Mb henry or Gasparatto will be the answer.

In the end they were fun to watch and never gave up which is good to c.

1 minute ago, Scorpion26 said:

The thing with Davies was he thought he could be the Jamaican defenders with speed, but the whole team was fast. That's killed and overwhelmed Canada as a team. That is why we had most of the possession during the game since Canada is better technically. However there were some mental mistakes that were punished and went unpunished by the Jamaican other teams would of killed us tonight with those types of mistakes. Again those calling for Larin head are a bit over zealous and I do think the lack of cohesion was seen tonight hence I do agree that Cavallini should of started the game. Larin will grow with the team and that's going to take time. Both strikers again had one or two great chance to finish both did not finish those chances and hence if they did Canada could of easily won the game tonight. It's all good, because not many of us thought Canada would of made it out of the group. This team will be interesting to watch as they gel and get better by getting results and grinding out results for Canada. Allez les Rouge!!!

I think Canada gave Jamaica's strikers way too much respect. They looked scared. Perhaps too much was made of their speed ahead of the game. Honduras had similar speed and they dealt with them much better.  I don't think the difference was that Jamaica has a little more pace than Honduras, I think the difference was our fear around it this time.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think Canada gave Jamaica's strikers way too much respect. They looked scared. Perhaps too much was made of their speed ahead of the game. Honduras had similar speed and they dealt with them much better.  I don't think the difference was that Jamaica has a little more pace than Honduras, I think the difference was our fear around it this time.

Although I'm not sold on the idea of him being a starter, James made a difference against speedy forwards from Honduras and again tonight when he came on, Jak and Vittoria were exposed in the few times they did face pressure!

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't know Obinna I think the Jamaican overall team speed was far more effective in this game against Canada compared to Honduras. Honduras got fast players, but not as many playing on starting 11 as Jamaica did tonight. I felt every time Canadian player had the ball a Jamaican player was already running them down.

Hoilett was much better after Larin came off, Canada's game plan cannot revolve around Larin. He's a poacher for Orlando but the game doesn't revolve entirely around him. Other then that, obviously Jamaica was much faster and that hurt, I think James should've started for his pace (even if he scares me). Overall good tournament but not great, we didn't beat a single Fifa certified team but we drew a couple of good sides. 

6 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

A bunch of people need to chill out. We out played Jamaica for most of the match but couldn't handle their speed on the counter (and their goalie was really good). Lots of positives, but still lots to work on. 

Absolutely. Best soccer we've played in the last 10 years and can only get better. And I've been watching the team for over 30 years.

2 minutes ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

If I had Cyle Larin stocks I'd sell them pronto. SELL SELL SELL

Naw you buy low and sell high! This is the time to buy Larin stock. He will get better but you gotta think it's only up from here! This is clearly his low point.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Naw you buy low and sell high! This is the time to buy Larin stock. He will get better but you gotta think it's only up from here! This is clearly his low point.

I don't know man.  He's having a rough year in MLS.  If Larin wants to prove he has more to offer, has to be better or else he's just another MLS journeyman that couldn't make it to Europe

51 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Well done Canada, I'm proud of each and every one of you. 

When we lose, it is at least good to feel we went down swinging.

Kinda a nice to feel a little hard done by as well, not so much by officiating as the fickle whims of the soccer gods.

But damn, it was there for the taking. :angry:

28 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

RB was exposed. Russel was out of his league. Didn't finish.

Junior was MOTM

Best we've seen from Junior but no.  Arfield, a-gin. 

P.S.  Hey, how about that James?  Ha!  Quite the impression he made in a limited appearance.  Like it.  

Double post, but more appropriate here than the match thread:

Borjan - hard to rate him too high, but the goals weren't really on him.  Had yet another bobble of the ball - would be nice to eliminate that.

Petrasso - pretty mediocre.  Lost possession a bunch of times.

Jakovic - not great.  Best move tonight seemed to be going down to win a free kick.

Vittoria - didn't do much to stand out.  Yellow was poor judgement.

James - strong when he subbed in.  Too bad he wasn't on the field longer.  I am mixed on him, but he's still young and shows flashes.

deJong - good game, and a good tournament overall for me.  Not amazing, but solid going both ways.  

Piette - like deJong, a good tournament.  Decent tonight, but curious where he was in the overall breakdown on their goals.

Hoilett - scored a beauty.  Also lost the ball to the 2nd or 3rd guy a number of times after beating the first one.  Still, overall a pretty good game.

Tiebert - mixed on this one.  Didn't seem to do a ton wrong, but also didn't do anything to justify replacing Bernier.  

Davies - reality check for him and us tonight.  He is 16.  He is only going to get faster, stronger and smarter on the ball.  But he looked his age tonight.

Arfield - not a great night.  Usually really solid and reliable in set piece delivery, but was poor tonight a number of times. Involved in some decent attacks but overall not up to his standard.

AJH - didn't do much in his time on, and hard to forget the end-line brain fart.

Larin - didn't justify the Cav replacement IMO, but had a couple chances. Typical performance in a Canada kit though, and really frustrating.

Cav - better overall in attack than Larin, but it is also true that he hasn't scored.  Good supporting play aside, scoring is a pretty important quality in a striker.

OZ - I like the general play this tournament, but hard not to pin a bit of this on him.  Larin didn't justify the faith, and I still feel that Bernier would have been better to start.  Given that those were the notable things he did to mix it up for the QFs, hard not to be a bit critical tonight.

overall, a decent tournament for us, but let's not get carried away - we only beat FG.  And while it was a better brand of footy to watch, tonight was a pretty Canadian performance/result in a big game.

--------
edit:. Yeah, Jakovic, not Dasovic.  Oops.

Rookie mistakes by Zambrano as national team coach. Important thing is that he learns and doesn't happen again

Starting Larin with the arrest pre gold cup, missing huge chances in recent games with national team including curacao and Cavallini playing well and team playing well with him there...all these were indications to start Cavallini and not Larin and he fell into it

Showed that the Bernier call was a mistake while he was giving him so much importance and even insisting that he must continue past this tournament. Doesn't start him in the biggest game. Has to be the end, thank you and goodbye. Stop forcing it

Teibert just doesn't bring enough to be starting. You didn't start him and only subbed him in once in the group stage but start him now in the biggest game...come on now

Borjan had to stop the second one, had a hand on it but not strong enough. Good saves made. Ideally a better keeper will come up in the next few years as going further in the competition with a keeper who is so blunder prone would be very difficult

Strong decisions by Zambrano in his first competition with Canada: Davies and Cavallini as starters right away and Petrasso at rb

Looking at his assistants when he was looking to make changes...Findlay and Stalteri...someone with more experience would be more interesting

Archived