Canada vs Jamaica Post Match Thread

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad that we lost with those chances that we had but boy am I ever looking forward to watching this amazing team grow! We have so much young talent and the future is certainly looking bright for us!

Never have I seen a Canada with that drive and determination to the very last whistle

The tactics, management, talent, and composure in the tournament has me feeling very positive overall, but I don't feel positive about this match. That should have been a win. Poor goals to concede, dreadful finishing (hoilett strikes aside). I was going to compliment Jamaica on their defense, but in reality we had plenty of chances. Disappointing. I'll be fine tomorrow.

Davies running into triple coverage and couldn't use his change of pace to get away from defenders. Lots of talent and potential but lots to learn still.

Petrasso picked a bad night to play give away machine. Lots of bad passes but he seemed to be doing the most. 

Sigh. Sucks to leave the Gold Cup like this.

Over the course of this tournament we discovered a way to play, found who our true #1 striker is and saw Piette take the defensive midfielder position and claim it as his own...not to mention Davies.

This one stung, but damn was this ever a positive step as a whole.

Now we need to figure out who our CBs can be going forward.

Yes our CB were beat early and often.... Was thinking that Osorio should of played instead of Teibert... However a bit disappointed at the lack of finish from both strikers. Both had a great chance to score for Canada. Wish that Hoilett had play the entire game as he did the second half. It is a good sign and this team will grow which should hopefully help our striker to score more often. WIth Davies you noticed those plays that still shows his lack of seasoning, but he will get better thats for sure. OZ I kinda wish he had played both Larin and Cavillini up top I think it would of been a better situation overall up front with an aggressive Cav and it lurking Larin. Overall I'm pleased with what Canada has done, but worried at the lack of killer instinct in the final third sort of reminded me of Arsenal.... I know we lost, but hopefully Tabla wants to come in to be part of this team and know he could be that missing piece. In the end Canada needs a few true playmakers in CM/CAM role. Who can fill that spot honestly right now... I'm thinking Chapman is one of those players, but doesn't to get to play. Canada will grow and we will be part of the journey.

reposting from match thread:

A lot of hot takes here in the heat of the moment..

My general impression is we were playing against an opponent that had a sound gameplan (as they have been doing all tournament if you were watching them..) and that is to bunker and counter...and they beat us. Also we looked sluggish collectively. As soon as the match started I noticed how much we were not moving when in possession...just standing and ball watching. Don't know if that was the result of not playing in 6 days or what.

Going into the tournament I would have been happy with a quarterfinal appearance. And that's what the end result was. Realistically we dominated Jamaica but their finishing in the final third was significantly better. 

The biggest thing I learned from the game is that Larin isn't the answer up front right now.

Gonna kill it in 2019.

Gutted. I don't understand the decision to play Teibert ahead of Bernier, or even Osorio for that matter. He was too slow to create and a non-factor defensively since he was originally playing so high up the pitch. Zambrano got most things right, but that one wrong IMO.

Mostly positives, but this match was a wasted opportunity as it was a winnable game. I don't know what happened to Arfield in this game, if he was still tired from the previous starts. And watching Edwards last night for TFC made me wish that we had kept him and dropped someone else (such as Kaye).

Props for Hoilett for taking the leadership role and scoring a cracker.

Overall, this was a strong tournament for us, and I think with a little more time with OZ at the helm, this team will start to churn out results for us fans. Latin and Cavallini will have 2 yrs to fight for spot up top, and I'm sure Zambrano will play around with the possibility of having both of them on the field at the same time. Really proud of this team, especially the fight that we showed after going 2-0 down.

I mean it's not only about how many goals you bag in MLS but your overall presence on the pitch and I don't know about you guys but the first half was "vintage Canada" for me. The exciting team we witness wasn't there. 

Larin seems so disconnected from the group that it affects the overall dynamic. Cavallini presence and even giving hell to Davies when he was missing crosses is call leadership. 

Larin has to earn his spot. I don't want to see him start until then

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Gutted. I don't understand the decision to play Teibert ahead of Bernier, or even Osorio for that matter. He was too slow to create and a non-factor defensively since he was originally playing so high up the pitch. Zambrano got most things right, but that one wrong IMO.

Mostly positives, but this match was a wasted opportunity as it was a winnable game. I don't know what happened to Arfield in this game, if he was still tired from the previous starts. And watching Edwards last night for TFC made me wish that we had kept him and dropped someone else (such as Kaye).

Props for Hoilett for taking the leadership role and scoring a cracker.

i'd argue Tiebert is the fasest of the bunch..

Cant believe people trashing Piette and Petrasso, they have been very good in this tournament. Larin and Callavini (as the dinks on MLS preview named him) had good chances. Hoilett's efforts were superb, bit of 'I have to win this myself' in the late stages. Teibert's offensive choices were poor. We were killed by speed on the counter and Blake saved the win for Jamaica.

1 minute ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

Totera dick rides Larin hopefully he realizes he is useless for Canada 

I hate when the MLS based analysts dick ride Larin too. Not that I am surprised, but expand your horizons a little and you'll earn a little more respect (from me anyways).

1 minute ago, Ed_S said:

Cant believe people trashing Piette and Petrasso, they have been very good in this tournament. Larin and Callavini (as the dinks on MLS preview named him) had good chances. We were killed by speed on the counter and Blake saved the win for Jamaica.

Petrasso had a good tournament and I am looking forward to him continuing the RB experiment in the future. I always have mixed feelings about exciting attackers converting to wing backs / full backs, but those same players are typically good footballers, which is what we need in those spots.

Here's the part that I don't understand. Zambrano talks about how he wants Bernier to put off retirement because he's still in top form and he's still one of the best players on the field for Montreal.

So in a game where we needed someone who could cut open Jamaica with a killer ball, what does he do? He leaves him on the bench.

Why the hell is Teibert out there for 90 minutes when we have still have Bernier and Osorio? If I'm Bernier, I'd be pissed because it appears that the coach is saying one thing and doing another.

I'm disappointed because we had a very good opportunity to play at least one more match but this has been a good tournament for us overall! We have seen the emergence of some young players and OZ seems to have us playing more to our strengths, some areas where we need to improve are CB and striker! We still need some fence sitters to commit to push us to the next level I think!

Archived