Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Win the Gold Cup or Qualify for the Hex?

Recommended Posts

We cant have our cake and eat it too!?  

Tough call, but as it stands there are no home field dates for Gold Cups.  Way more opportunities for local support during the Hex.  Potentially more chance of fence sitters and FIFA ranking movement if Hex qualification no?

Either way I still want both! ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i voted for GC simply b/c its easier to do. get consistent results here and making the hex becomes more routine.  

further, winning the GC gets u 3 free matches in the CC.  baby-steps baby-steps... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kungfucious said:

i voted for GC simply b/c its easier to do. get consistent results here and making the hex becomes more routine.  

further, winning the GC gets u 3 free matches in the CC.  baby-steps baby-steps... 

only get the CC matches if you win the CONCACAF Cup....or just win the GC again in two yrs

Edited by mrstepp817

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not both?? Winning the Gold Cup gets a Confederations Cup spot with money, so we can use that.  Winning tge Gold Cup also gets us a close to automatic spot at the Copa America 2019.  Copa America 2020 might be different.  Qualifying to the World Cup gets us money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe how many people are voting Gold Cup. Not even close for me. The Hex is 10 games against quality competition, a chance at a World Cup and will draw significant media attention. Also has a far better chance of drawing dual nationals then a playoff against US/Mexico for the Confed Cup. In the Hex all you need to do is beat CR/Panama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Can't believe how many people are voting Gold Cup. Not even close for me. The Hex is 10 games against quality competition, a chance at a World Cup and will draw significant media attention. Also has a far better chance of drawing dual nationals then a playoff against US/Mexico for the Confed Cup. In the Hex all you need to do is beat CR/Panama.

Key word there. Chance. Winning the Gold Cup would arguably bring more media attention and it would bring Canada guaranteed success in one of their goals compared to a chance of making the hex. Of course this is all up for discusson as I'd rather Canada do both

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, canta15 said:

Key word there. Chance. Winning the Gold Cup would arguably bring more media attention and it would bring Canada guaranteed success in one of their goals compared to a chance of making the hex. Of course this is all up for discusson as I'd rather Canada do both

I'd argue that playing 10 games in the Hex and not making the WC is still better for our development than winning a Gold Cup where the US, Mexico, Jamaica, and Costa Rica all sent B+ teams at best. If we are talking the 2019 Gold Cup...the decision is harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Why not both?? Winning the Gold Cup gets a Confederations Cup spot with money, so we can use that.  Winning tge Gold Cup also gets us a close to automatic spot at the Copa America 2019.  Copa America 2020 might be different.  Qualifying to the World Cup gets us money

Of course we all want both! But if you had to choose one or the other, it is interesting to see how people evaluate the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

I'd argue that playing 10 games in the Hex and not making the WC is still better for our development than winning a Gold Cup where the US, Mexico, Jamaica, and Costa Rica all sent B+ teams at best. If we are talking the 2019 Gold Cup...the decision is harder.

So, you would trade our 2000 Gold Cup win for a win in El Salvador during recent WCQ (which would have got us to the hex)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, theaub said:

Absolutely

Winning the 2000 GC did absolutely **** all for this program.

It did get us some media attention in the short term.  Got the CSA money from the Confederations Cup, which they squandered in god know what.  God us a Copa invitation, which they declined, due to Colombian rebels threatening to disrupt the tournament, even though nothing happened.  Honduras took our place instead and reignited there futbol program and league, due to them making it to the semi-finals.  So yeah, the CSA ****** up all our bonuses,perks and cash then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

So, you would trade our 2000 Gold Cup win for a win in El Salvador during recent WCQ (which would have got us to the hex)?

I think that's a pretty needless comparison. I'd trade a 2017 Gold Cup title for a position in the next Hex no question.

If the Gold Cup was the tournament it should be it's a different story, but it's hard for me to care more about a trophy all the big CONCACAF nations care **** all about than a potential World Cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

If the Gold Cup was the tournament it should be it's a different story, but it's hard for me to care more about a trophy all the big CONCACAF nations care **** all about than a potential World Cup. 

This is also a fair argument.

If this was a true A-team tournament and winning the Gold Cup meant beating one (or two) of the top tier USA/Mexico teams, then I'd give it more thought.  As it is, this is nothing more than a mickey mouse tournament that I want us to win solely because it is better than the alternative of not winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Yes. I'd rather build a mentality of winning things rather than being happy to participate. 

Getting to the World Cup would involve much more winning than winning a Gold Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...