Gold Cup: non-Canada QF chat thread

dyslexic nam

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

This Jamaican team has the makings of a Cool Runnings movie about how Jamaica beat Mexico and the US. Don't think bunkering will work against tge Yanks, though but who knows.  Should be an interesting final.

Almost no chance, but who knows! Maybe the US gets overconfident and sits some key players. I don't see how a Jamaican counter beats the US if the Costa Rican counters couldn't, but I'm willing to be surprised.

Jamaica also have a young coach who is inspiring his players to push themselves to another level, kind of like Holger did in 2000. Floro on the other hand, i wouldn't say he didn't believe in his players but he sure as hell didn't get the most out of them either.

Mexico looked so terrible all tournament. I have no doubt that we could have beaten them or, at the very least, taken them to penalties.  It's nice to see that after some of the top end talent, Mex and the US are not that formidable.

1 hour ago, Addona said:

Mexico looked so terrible all tournament. I have no doubt that we could have beaten them or, at the very least, taken them to penalties.  It's nice to see that after some of the top end talent, Mex and the US are not that formidable.

I heard the Mexicans saying that their coach's tactics are sboslutely dreadfill. Not the players

Jamaica make the final of the gold cup for the 2nd straight tournament.

Good for them. They're still not a top 5 team in Concacaf WCQ, they still can't win in Central America.

It would be no different for Canada if we had won.

These gold cup tournaments have changed nothing.

1 hour ago, Soccerpro said:

Good for them. They're still not a top 5 team in Concacaf WCQ, they still can't win in Central America.

Last tournament was more impressive considering everyone sent their A teams. Don't forget though Jamaica were missing multiple players too

So if Jamaica wins the final does it mean CONCACAF have to find another reason for Canada not having to qualify for the Gold Cup or will the proposed League of Nations be used to determine participants?

7 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

The reason Canada does better in GC than WCQ games is because GC matches are neutral ground and WCQ games are home/away matches. Many argue that the MNT doesn't know how to play away matches but I believe we also struggle on home matches. While I agree GC matches won't improve home/away performances, winning the cup could have been a boost of confidence for the players.

14 minutes ago, canucklefan said:

The reason Canada does better in GC than WCQ games is because GC matches are neutral ground and WCQ games are home/away matches. Many argue that the MNT doesn't know how to play away matches but I believe we also struggle on home matches. While I agree GC matches won't improve home/away performances, winning the cup could have been a boost of confidence for the players.

slow down there speed racer. Just because we made it to a Quarter Final for the first time in 8 years, it does not mean we perform better in the Gold Cup compared to WCQs

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

slow down there speed racer. Just because we made it to a Quarter Final for the first time in 8 years, it does not mean we perform better in the Gold Cup compared to WCQs

Not what I meant, but I can see why you interpreted it that way. I was thinking more of 200-07 period where we won the tournament one time, finished third two times.

23 minutes ago, TRM said:

Go Jamaica!!! Can the bunker and counter work once more? Does Tim Howard have an off night? Game on!

I just don't see it happening.... Jamaica hasn't exactly looked good, in spite of their run to the finals.  Two years ago, I thought they looked so much better against us and in beating the US in the semis.

Archived