Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Steven Vitória

This is partially in response to a post about centre backs on the General Discussion on CMNT thread and other places around the board. 

I think we all have our biases towards players we get to see play.

For instance and relative to this topic (and the above), I have been a fan of Edgar since I saw him at the U-20 World Cup in Edmonton over 12 (12?) years ago.  And have tried to follow him since but can't really watch his games these days. 

On the hand, I have watched Vitoria a little this year; mostly halves in between other games.   He has been solid, if not noteworthy, when others around him have not been.  He looks what he is, a veteran player doing his best to play a basic game and keep things organized. He got a Man of the Match, it looks like, in a 0-0 game I did not see any part of.  

The team almost made the Europa League last year with their highest placing ever. Won a cup a couple years before that. Vitoria looks like a like-for-like replacement for a Sporting B player they had on loan last year.  These matches I have seen, not against the big clubs have not been great, but I have seen worse.  I did just seen a half against Benifica, where they kept them scoreless, though watching the highlights of the second half, he and his partner could have been more aware for the injury time winner. 

Overall, whatever has gone on in the past, he seems like a basic leveling and consistent presence at back, that would probably get caught out by speed.  Open to other opinions. 

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

This is partially in response to a post about centre backs on the General Discussion on CMNT thread and other places around the board. 

I think we all have our biases towards players we get to see play.

For instance and relative to this topic (and the above), I have been a fan of Edgar since I saw him at the U-20 World Cup in Edmonton over 12 (12?) years ago.  And have tried to follow him since but can't really watch his games these days. 

On the hand, I have watched Vitoria a little this year; mostly halves in between other games.   He has been solid, if not noteworthy, when others around him have not been.  He looks what he is, a veteran player doing his best to play a basic game and keep things organized. He got a Man of the Match, it looks like, in a 0-0 game I did not see any part of.  

The team almost made the Europa League last year with their highest placing ever. Won a cup a couple years before that. Vitoria looks like a like-for-like replacement for a Sporting B player they had on loan last year.  These matches I have seen, not against the big clubs have not been great, but I have seen worse.  I did just seen a half against Benifica, where they kept them scoreless, though watching the highlights of the second half, he and his partner could have been more aware for the injury time winner. 

Overall, whatever has gone on in the past, he seems like a basic leveling and consistent presence at back, that would probably get caught out by speed.  Open to other opinions. 

I haven't seen much of him so can't really speak to his style of play, but I was looking at his transfer history which is interesting. Was in both the Porto and Benfica systems but a constant loaner. Apparently he was an asset worth holding on to but was just unable to take the next step.

I’m more than happy to have him playing the US again.  He’s a smart and strong player who’s in form at a pretty good level.

He also played really good for us the last 2 games.  Vitoria seems always either over rated or under rated depending on who’s talking about him.  I rate him as “solid professional”

I was hyped when he first got on board, then became super unimpressed with his play in MLS. I honestly thought he was past his years with the CMNT. 

He really seems to be coming into form both club and country. Have not watched his club, but from all those who have, it has only been positive. I agree ^ "solid professional" is a perfect description for his match vs the US.  Could not be happier with his current form, in my eyes he will start again for us in 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

I was hyped when he first got on board, then became super unimpressed with his play in MLS. I honestly thought he was past his years with the CMNT.

Apologies, but you may have gotten your timeline or recollections wrong there. He played his first game for us in early February 2016.

He played for the Philadelphia Union in 2015. His MLS year came first.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I am probably in the minority, but I think Vitoria was fairly decent in MLS. 

He came on loan from Benfica, so right away expectations were high. Rightly so  Benfica are a big club and Philadelphia were lacking quality. He was a pretty significant acquisition for them.

He had a stretch in the middle of the season where he was injured, but when he played he was anywhere from good to very good. If memory serves me correct, his return back from injury was against Toronto at BMO, where he had a strong match. Overall, he had very few bad moments when he was on the field (which was not enough if you were a union fan).

Anyways, I read a comment that referred to as a union reject on another message board and thought it was very harsh. It was immediately after the US lost to us, which may have something to do with it, but yeah, he does not seem to be remembered fondly for his time in MLS.

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He came on loan from Benfica, so right away expectations were high. Rightly so  Benfica are a big club and Philadelphia were lacking quality. He was a pretty significant acquisition for them.

He had a stretch in the middle of the season where he was injured, but when he played he was anywhere from good to very good. If memory serves me correct, his return back from injury was against Toronto at BMO, where he had a strong match. Overall, he had very few bad moments when he was on the field (which was not enough if you were a union fan).

Anyways, I read a comment that referred to as a union reject on another message board and thought it was very harsh. It was immediately after the US lost to us, which may have something to do with it, but yeah, he does not seem to be remembered fondly for his time in MLS.

Vitoria was solid for the Union. The expectations (and his pay) were just way too high.  If his salary was half Philly would have gladly taken him back.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Vitoria was solid for the Union. The expectations (and his pay) were just way too high.  If his salary was half Philly would have gladly taken him back.

That's how I recall it as well.  Of course it's easier for the perennial loser Philly fans to frame an on-loan player as a reject - despite that making zero sense.  Kinda like the time Preston North End rejected that Beckham guy.  

18 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Apologies, but you may have gotten your timeline or recollections wrong there. He played his first game for us in early February 2016.

He played for the Philadelphia Union in 2015. His MLS year came first.

Thanks for the  clarification. You are correct with the timeline and dates. In my head in 2015, when he came to this side of the pond (MLS/North America), I tied it with one of his reason to coming to NA was having the intentions to come play for Canada. 

Hyped when I heard  he was coming to North America, but then wasn't overly impressed with his play in MLS that season.

I should have been more clear. 

Regardless, it is great to see him find his footing again in his pro career which only helps us as country also.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Fair enough, I think I fell victim to the Benfica hype train at the time. Honestly, I just remembered a handful of MLS highlights where he was on the field defending, which led to me being quite unimpressed with him at the time. To be fair to him now, Philly in general was awful that year and he was coming back from injury. 

For the record, based on the stat sheet with his club team this year and watching him live for the full 90 vs US, I have been very happy and impressed with his performances.

Should mention, he was also the one who conceded the pk in that match. I only saw 1 angle and for the life of me I can't see why it's a pk. But perhaps the other angles show something different.