Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Steven Vitória

On 9/16/2019 at 10:57 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Watched the first half before David's game started.  Was solid, decent in the air and quite vocal. The goal the other team scored had no business going in, either the skill from the striker or the keeper letting it through.

Their team has been doing well but did not really look it yesterday. The thing I noticed most was it was being played away in front of about a dozen people.

Did you check the ticketmaster blue dots and match up the announced to what you thought were there? Of course we'll need screen captures of the highlights showing the crowd and the opinion of random A-holes from reddit before we can be really sure.  Ooops, sorry I thought this was the CPL attendance thread.

2 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

To be fair, the team they were playing against (Santa Clara) is in a city with only 60k people and something like double that amount on the whole (very remote) island that they're on.  Really, it's somewhat amazing that they can even compete in the first division.  Then you add to that the fact that Vitoria's team is probably one of the least popular teams in the top league and that's what you get.   

Everybody supports the big 3 there sadly. Not enough local support for most teams.

I still remember the days when Leiria used to play in that new 30,000 seat stadium and they were literally getting less than a 1000 people showing up. Beira-Mar was another one.

14 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Everybody supports the big 3 there sadly. Not enough local support for most teams.

I still remember the days when Leiria used to play in that new 30,000 seat stadium and they were literally getting less than a 1000 people showing up. Beira-Mar was another one.

Yeah. I find "CPL at 3k is fine, look at Portugal!" argument fairly uninformed given all those teams get huge boosts in attendance when Benfica, Sporting, and Porto come to play. I remember when Aguiar was at Gondomar and looking them up and finding their average attendance was 1000. Msut have some great sponsors.

Edited by The Real Marc

Went 90' in a 2-1 loss to Benfica today with a middle of the pack rating. If Vitoria can hang with the better teams in Portugal he should probably be a first choice centre back shoo-in. Pair him with Cornelius who has made strides this year and we don't look so awful at the back all of the sudden.

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

With Henry suspended its 100% Vitoria and Cornelius vs the states. Touch wood, injuries or otherwise aside. 

I do like the look of Miller but it's a bit early to judge. 

What about James???

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Has only played a couple games so far this season.

Update - Not in the 18 again today. 

Even so, that could be for a few reasons. He’s still talented, big and fast.  Also he has more experience than Cornelius. 

Just now, SpecialK said:

Even so, that could be for a few reasons. He’s still talented, big and fast.  Also he has more experience than Cornelius. 

The reason is that he is their fourth or fifth choice centre back and they no longer play three at the back and are no longer in Europe.  They wanted rid of him at the deadline but he didn't want to leave.   He needs to be playing first team football, in my opinion.  

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

What about James???

He should be in the squad, although that could certainly be argued given his lack of playing time. Being in the squad could be a boost for him though. 

He certainly doesnt merit starting imo. I think we are getting passed playing players that are unattached or not playing regularly. Cornelius is far more deserving and has been more consistently in the set up this year. 

I like James though, it wasnt long ago I would have said he was our best CB and automatic starter but he isnt getting a look in and hasnt played. That's not what you want vs the states in such an important game. Match sharpness will be everything.

I dont know what's going on with his club situation. Looked like he was going to get a chance there. Outside bet of an MLS move, CPL possible next year but think he will stay in Europe. 

55 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

No first team footie, no starts for CMNT

Not starting is one thing, making the 23 is another.It's not like we have a ton of centre backs starting right now. I think James could get a call-up this time, because who are behind Vitória and Cornelius? Everybody behind those two are not guaranteed call-ups right now. 

I still rate James and think he should definitely be called up.

It's definitely a strange situation; you have a guy like James who is battling for a starting XI spot on a very good team in a solid European league getting discounted by some here because he "isn't starting", and instead we should be calling USL or marginal MLS players because they are playing more often? i'm sure if James went from FCM to the USL he would be starting week in and week out...

Also, guess who has played more first team minutes this season: Manjrekar James or Alphonso Davies?...... 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I still rate James and think he should definitely be called up.

It's definitely a strange situation; you have a guy like James who is battling for a starting XI spot on a very good team in a solid European league getting discounted by some here because he "isn't starting", and instead we should be calling USL or marginal MLS players because they are playing more often? i'm sure if James went from FCM to the USL he would be starting week in and week out...

Also, guess who has played more first team minutes this season: Manjrekar James or Alphonso Davies?...... 

That is the thing, I don't see him "battling" at all. His club explicitly stated they had too many centre backs as the window was closing and that they were actively shopping him and another guy around.  He was quoted as saying that essentially - I have nowhere to go, I'll stay here. 

https://www.tipsbladet.dk/nyhed/superliga/fc-midtjylland-stopper-afviser-transfer-alt-er-godt-jeg-bliver-her

He has not made the squad since before the transfer window closed nor since the caretaker coach/manager was appointed, he needs at least two injuries before he is looking at starting.  Davies has played minutes since that time period and regularly makes the bench for one of the biggest teams in the world. 

The question as I understood it was who starts against the States, my opinion is not him. 

I think Adam Straith should be one of the CB options behind Vitoria and Cornelius. He plays regularly and he was one of the most dependable players back in the "lose 8-1 to Honduras" days.

8 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

He plays regularly and he was one of the most dependable players back in the "lose 8-1 to Honduras" days.

8 goals still went by him...

So I'd rather we give Zator a chance

58 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I'm all for giving CPL guys a chance. But I don't think crucial games against the States is where that happens. Friendlies, sure. 

Same for Straith. But I agree that Zator and Gasparatto should be introduced during friendlies, not crucial games against the US.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

8 goals still went by him...

So I'd rather we give Zator a chance

Straith was not on the pitch that day.  Our back line was RB Edgar -- CB Hainault -- CB McKenna -- LB Klukowski.

Edgar should have played in the middle and Jakovic and or Straith should have also played at CB.  DeJong was starting in the Bundesliga and still did not make it off the bench.  Klukowski was playing because Jazic was suddenly "ill" which started the rumour of the team being food poisoned by the Hondurans.  Would not surprise me given how terrible our back line looked, but also McKenna and Klukowski were by this time surpassed by Jakovic, Straith and DeJong, but unfortunately Hart was not strong enough to make the changes.

At minimum, Vitoria should make the next roster.

He should probably start alongside Cornelius too. He is playing week in-week out and James has not managed to win the starting job in Denmark.  

After Vitoria and Cornelius, I would select Kamal Miller as the back up left CB (and left FB).

The fourth CB depends on the status of Eustaquio...

If he's fit and selected, Hutchinson could be the back up right CB (or potentially start next to Cornelius). Meanwhile, Eustaquio could be the back up to Piette (or Hutchinson, if he starts as the 6).

In short, as long as Eustaquio is available, I don't think we need to call James as a fourth CB. He really hasn't done much to deserve a call anyhow. 

However, we may want to call James if our only two defensive midfielders are Piette and Hutchinson...

Edited by Obinna

I would be shocked it Vitoria, Cornelius and Miller we’re not called up and Vitoria and Cornelius started.

I think Straith will get a call up as the 4th CB and one of Zator or Gasparatto get the call as well based on their form.  Or dark horse Edgar.