GC - QF Viewing Parties - Confirm Locations ASAP

Admin

31 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

Is anyone going to be at football factory or shoeless king west? Both in the area, looking to bring a group. 

Come to Paupers, it's going to be fun watching there with a big group.  We have the top floor booked. 

JM

7 hours ago, tg02 said:

Kind of off topic, but anyone know why TSN is only broadcasting this game on TSN2 yet TSN1 and 4 for the Mexico game?  A bit frustrating for those of us with all but TSN 2.  UGH!!

Cause they want you to get TSN2 $$$

7 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Cause they want you to get TSN2 $$$

tsn is full of $#*+! i LOATHE it when they make that claim to be the home of soccer in canada. complete BS.

anyways, they are showing ti-cats vs eskimos on 1. is that a valid reason to bump down the biggest match in years?

ok. good answers. ill accept those as reasons why tsn is a whore.

just curious how badly cfl in cites outside of the teams playing outdraw? if i was in charge, ide put cfl on 1 for hamilton and edmonton viewers only.

sorry for taking us off topic:

+1 for doolins vcr!

2 hours ago, kungfucious said:

tsn is full of $#*+! i LOATHE it when they make that claim to be the home of soccer in canada. complete BS.

anyways, they are showing ti-cats vs eskimos on 1. is that a valid reason to bump down the biggest match in years?

Beats the hell out of the online streams of yesteryear (not necessarily for the GC but you get what I mean)

Question for those who host watch parties in their various cities. Do you find it's typically a group of people who interact with each other, or a bunch of smaller groups who do their own thing? In Calgary, we seem to have both scenarios, depending on the game.

Some recent examples. For the Honduras game, there were about 15 of us all at the same table. Throughout the game we invited new people to the table (presuming they looked interested of course), introduced them to the group, and spent time after the game chatting away getting to know each other. However, tonight, there were 30 of us, but everyone was split off into their own group of friends, few of whom were interacting with each other. 

As someone trying to build the supporters culture in this city, the first scenario is something I get excited about, and the second scenario frustrates the hell out of me. I've also noticed that club supporters and country supporters in this city seem to be two distinct groups with not a tonne of overlap; something which I've perceived is not the case in other cities around the country.

Even using examples on this board, there are Calgary V's who I am close with and forget that they post on this board. There are also are Calgary V's who I am not close with, but who recognize me and will chat with me in person. There are also Calgary V's who won't say a word to me in person. 

A group of 30 will always split into sub-groups/conversations. Not a worry, just try to have someone who will circulate and "connect" with everyone and at some point do a general "Thank you all for coming, thanks to X Pub for hosting" where you can pimp future events and hand out any cards/flyers whatever you might have.

The main thing is to have people in the same physical space, kinda like a regular party, but the theme is "watching Canada". :)

Archived