Sign in to follow this  
tc-in-bc

UEFA Women's Euro 2017

10 hours ago, tc-in-bc said:

Apparently Lucy Bronze played a role in getting the referee to change her mind about the PK which was initially rewarded to Spain and then reversed:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40701230

She was probably, technically, correct. But I can understand you'd be upset as a rival to find someone who had an in with a ref could make their point. I think the Spaniards simply did not have the language to counter the argument. Meaning English. Credit to Bronze to use her linguistic skills to her team's benefit.

In any case it is a totally untenable precedent, I personally believe what you have to do is make like you are talking to your linesman and then, as if it was a consultation with other refs. Call it back. Not be so obviously altered by a player's elocution. 

On 7/22/2017 at 0:27 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

She has never played for the senior team, but her past with junior national teams suggests she would and will if called. She also happens to be studying medicine btw.

Speed kills all over the place, in the legs and especially in the brain. There are some svelte diminutive attackers like Marta who combine those, but they're few and far between. And she excelled when the game was not as professionalized. Garcia would fall into that bucket and with the senior level being more physically demanding you wonder what her evolution as a player is.

5 hours ago, Vic said:

Speed kills all over the place, in the legs and especially in the brain. There are some svelte diminutive attackers like Marta who combine those, but they're few and far between. And she excelled when the game was not as professionalized. Garcia would fall into that bucket and with the senior level being more physically demanding you wonder what her evolution as a player is.

BTW see Spain is losing to Scotland, but would still go through due to goal difference. Not a good show if they can only beat Portugal in that group. Can't watch unfortunately, too much work.

Germany had won the Euro for 22 years straight.  Wonder how they feel now about hiring a coach with no experience. Might have been better with Steffi Graf.

Spain's path to the final is Austria (#24), Denmark (#15).

[ 1 ]   S t e f f i J e x i t .

[ 2 ]   Steffi  Jones is warning for Canada. You hate to see a national side drop points, lose matches  or crash out of tournaments because the person at the top is a novice. i think Moscato, Wilkinson  ( and I'd add Matheson and Lawrence ) are smart articulate women who should be put on an  eventual  pathway to running the CANWNT. But whatever coaching credentials and experience they can acquire in the next three years --  their resumes are still going to look a  little thin. They  have to pay their dues somewhere. Just look at Even Pellurud's resume when Canada hired him: one  Olympic Bronze medal, a silver medal at the first Women's World Cup, 1995 WWC champion! The CSA needs to do it's due dilligence when searching for John Herdman's replacement and do a wider coaching search and ultimately  hire a strong  resume full of credentials and experience.

[ 3 ] Ann  Odong joking about poaching coaches:

Ann Odong ⚽️?Verified account @AnnOdong 21h21 hours ago

While we wait for the second game, if your nation could have any other nation's coach, who would you poach? Say nation and then coach.

Naeryn @naeryn 21h21 hours ago

Replying to @AnnOdong

I want Canada's John Herdman for Spain. He'd call up Vero Boquete, at the very least.

Mich @Mich_Fowler 21h21 hours ago

Quite the premonition for the tournament rookies.

They play with 11 inside their 25 and are quick and athletic. Quite boring to watch but then winning is never boring to the winner. Spain have to up their ante and have some analysis and program design to do.

Quite the tournament so far. 

Yes, I'm not a fan of the Austrian style, but I have to respect that they are doing what they can and committing to it fully.  It was the Canadian way up until recently, so I can appreciate it.

The England/France game is a beauty.  Two skilled teams believing in their own ability and going for it.

7 hours ago, Vic said:

Quite the premonition for the tournament rookies.

They play with 11 inside their 25 and are quick and athletic. Quite boring to watch but then winning is never boring to the winner. Spain have to up their ante and have some analysis and program design to do.

Quite the tournament so far. 

Spain hugely underperforms, but I put this one down to the players. After the WC, they felt their antiquated coach Quereda who had been around 26 years was holding them back and not preparing them right. Now, they get the coach they "want", Vilda, and have probably one of the worst tournaments ever, winning just one game and huge problems scoring. You get players trying to dictate to a federation, well that is fine--as long as they step up too when they get what they want. 

Since only really one major team in this tournament is meeting expectations, we have to say overall it is good, the competitive level is great to see. All strong countries, and Canada would be in that group, have to be warned: it is only going to get harder to get results because the rest of the world will catch up.

It's hard to say if Spain underperformed, or just didn't have that natural goal poacher.  France also has had trouble scoring against stiffer defenses over the last few years.  Where would England be in these Euros without Taylor (or us without Sinclair on the world stage)?  Sometimes it just comes down to luck in the available players.

I had forgotten that about Quereda and the Vilda revolt and yeah the result really stinks in light of that. Also bizarre about Boquete, the outcome sure looks good on her and bad on him. I never really got the feeling the Spanish were in a good headspace. Too many bad decisions, felt like they were off script, not really in sync and out of ideas. Work to be done.

Very sad seeing the small crowd in the stadium today.

The worldwide women's game seems to get more interesting every year. Lots of good teams and excellent players now.

Disappointing crowds for the Euros though. Really brings home how fantastic the attendances were for the Canada 2015 WWC.

20 hours ago, rkomar said:

It's hard to say if Spain underperformed, or just didn't have that natural goal poacher.  France also has had trouble scoring against stiffer defenses over the last few years.  Where would England be in these Euros without Taylor (or us without Sinclair on the world stage)?  Sometimes it just comes down to luck in the available players.

3-0-0 in the group stage and perhaps going to penalties against France in the quarters (assuming whomever took her place didn't score). :)

I remember a friendly between Canada and the Netherlands from maybe last year, where Canada looked dominant over what was largely the same side that beat England today.  I'm impressed with how much that Dutch team has improved in such a short time.

[ 1 ] So the Netherlands, the hosts,  won it all in a very entertaining final :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAubDsltNDU

[ 2 ] Har Journalist @HarJournalist Aug 6

??#Netherlands celebrating. They go crazy when this hopping song comes on. No idea what it is #WEURO2017

- A question was asked: what was that song that the victorious Dutch players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HylCqVUKP84

and the Dutch supporters/fans were moving to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvqoeT8_VHU

ANSWER:  Snollebollekes ( musical act) singing " Links Rechts"  (song) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFEDBewcfks

[ 3 ] There was a one hour broadcast/stream  of a huge wrap up celebration in Utrecht:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5BdpnPlsU

- players were introduced at 39' mark

- last 10 minutes was celebratory music : "Link Rechts and Viva Hollandia"

Edited by tc-in-bc

How about Denmark?  The only team to beat them was the Dutch, they didn't sit 11 in their box like the Austrians and defined the tournament when they took out Germany. So many greatplayers; Harder, Nadim, Troelsgaard. What a joy to watch. They play an exciting brand of the game.

Stats from the final are freaky, I am not making this up:

• Shots 10 / 11
  • Possession 50% / 50%
  • Passing Accuracy 80% / 76%
  • Passes 351 / 350
  • Passes Completed 280 / 266

When you consider the Dutch were building for this for years and the Danes were just trying to find a way to upset things and actually make it out of their group, it's really quite amazing how close they came to winning the whole thing.