Costa Rica vs Canada - Post Match Thread

I get a bit of a kick out of the guys who go to the extremes and say Floro was an idiot, Zambrano is a godsend, based mostly on the fact that we just tied Costa Rica in the Gold Cup... just like Floro achieved 2 years ago. I'm not totally sure if guys have said that on this thread or if I read it elsewhere today. Anyways, I am a bit of a Floro apologist, but I of course am hopeful that Zambrano is better and has more success. He is off to a decent start.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Kent said:

I get a bit of a kick out of the guys who go to the extremes and say Floro was an idiot, Zambrano is a godsend, based mostly on the fact that we just tied Costa Rica in the Gold Cup... just like Floro achieved 2 years ago. I'm not totally sure if guys have said that on this thread or if I read it elsewhere today. Anyways, I am a bit of a Floro apologist, but I of course am hopeful that Zambrano is better and has more success. He is off to a decent start.

Tie at home. And one of the reasons I like Zambrano is he is transparent with his decisions 

Edit: Not to mention qe had to beat CR to advance and Floro's great idea was to sub on another defender

I think Floro's major contribution was to get people off the fence and committed to Canada. I'll always remember his era as the time when the mercenary brigade was finally buried and it was cool to play for Canada again. I don't know how much he had to do with it but starting with Tesho we have been on a recruiting roll.

That said I like the way OZ has our team playing. It is the modern game. When other teams forecheck and apply pressure we didn't just hammer the ball down the field. We did the one touch tic-tac-toe routine in nice tight triangles and maintained possession several times. I was just loving it.

We have a long way to go but we have turned several corners recently in recruiting and now style of play.

I suspect, too, that Floro's approach betrayed an attitude--i.e. that we are simply not good enough to do anything more than bunker--that was dispiriting to the team, and undermined their confidence. yeah, sure, the guys are responsible for THEIR attitude and work ethic on the field, but the manager sets the tone, and I sense that Floro and the guys never really found a good fit. OZ already appears a much better fit, but I also caution that it is still early days and we will need to do a lot of growing under OZ before we become a solid side.  [Truth of the matter is that we need to develop a larger pool of excellent footballers, but we SEEM to be heading in that direction.]

Interestinf discussion here.  For the record, Osieck won us a Gold Cup with defensive tactics and tr odd journeyman scoring like Corazzin.  Floro took it to the extreme because I believe Hart didn'y have the futbol knowledge tactics or players to play an attacking style suited to the 2013 Nats players.  Floro came in after that debacle and assessed that we had no creativity, technicality or quality players to attack, sonwe played turtle, turtle and rarely attacked.  All it did was get us close results but didn't teach the players much other than defend.  I'll give Floro credit though for bringing some fence sitters to suit up for Canada and now OZ, understands that we need offensive flair to our game to beat Honduras, Costa Rica's, USA and eventually not be afraid of Mexico.  I'm surprised there aren't any Brasilian Canadians wanting to suit up for Canada like Tony Menezes.  Since then, I have never seen a Canadian defender with his control of the ball and vision, rather than booting it up like som defenders still do in out program.

I have mixed feelings on the Floro era.  I would like to think that as a very experienced coach Floro would have been able to adjust his tactics to the young attacking personnel personnel emerging in the program and given them their chance to shine.  On the other hand, I still think that he would have killed off last night's game by featuring Straith and James as two of his three subs.

5 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Killed off the game? They equalized in the first half!!

I don't have any problem with him not abandoning hope of the win in order to protect a draw.

I'd rather not bunker and go for the win

11 hours ago, canta15 said:

Tie at home. And one of the reasons I like Zambrano is he is transparent with his decisions 

Edit: Not to mention qe had to beat CR to advance and Floro's great idea was to sub on another defender

Yeah, I know it's not completely like for like for the reasons you mentioned, that's why I put that I get a "bit of a kick out of" it rather than thinking it's hilarious. I think the terribleness of Floro is exaggerated, and the amazingness of the results so far are also exaggerated, although I am still excited by this team. Mostly due to the promise of Davies, and I like what I've seen of Cavallini so far, although I'll need to see him start putting in some goals (not his fault that he hasn't scored yet) before he gets me really excited.

As for Floro's great idea to sub on another defender... it very nearly worked. If I remember correctly, it was Hainault that came on? And I think he almost got on the end of a goal mouth scramble after a corner kick or something. I wouldn't have made that sub, but if that chance had resulted in a goal, we would have called Floro a genius.

I do agree that I prefer how Zambrano communicates things. Let's hope he can keep his unbeaten run alive tomorrow!

On 2017-07-12 at 10:27 AM, Fastfeet2 said:

Maybe he wants to continue his development in Europe, or maybe he doesnt want to come be a rotation player. Im sure Montreal have expressed interest at some point.

He was on a podcast recently saying Montreal would be his first choice. Here's a link to the podcast. 

So as of now it really seems like the ball is with the Impact and hopefully they don't screw it up. 

59 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think the terribleness of Floro is exaggerated, and the amazingness of the results so far are also exaggerated, although I am still excited by this team.

I totally agree with this point.  As I suggested earlier about Floro, I think he shaped his tactical decisions based upon what he believed were the best attributes of the playing staff he could select, regardless of position.  I mean, not including Straith and Henry, he sill had four other natural CBs on his roster for the last two matches of WCQs (James, Jakovic, Edgar, Vitoria)  With this new, attacking blood available, perhaps he would have changed his outlook.

Keeping Hainault pushed up vs CR two years ago was probably his best option considering the playing staff he selected for his squad.  He may also have felt that playing Edgar as a striker at the tail end of the final WCQ match vs ES was also his best option.  

Had we given up a goal and lost to CR two nights' ago I'm sure there would be plenty of folks here arguing about why OZ didn't bring on Straith or/and James instead of Ricketts and Aird.  I'm sure we'd both get a kick out of that. 

Kaye in the first half had the task of staying with the #20 so was more defensive and got very little touches, lost the ball a couple of times when he did. His player got away a couple of times and was at the origin of the action that became a corner and then a goal. Adekugbe lost his player and he scored. For the second half they decided such close marking was not necessary so Kaye had more freedom got more touches and did better on the ball. Not a great performance but good tactical decision to start him, not enough recovery time for Bernier and a task that is not for an am like Osorio

Adekugbe should not start any more games

Borjan got close to a blunder a few times, hopefully won't happen in this tournament

Archived