Costa Rica vs Canada: Match Thread

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a bit of a nerve racking shitshow at the end, but overall we played well and easily could have scored a second (at least three times) and stolen the win. Who knew we could play attacking football?

2 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

It was a bit of a nerve racking shitshow at the end, but overall we played well and easily could have scored a second (at least three times) and stolen the win. Who knew we could play attacking football?

Floro didnt. 

Overall just so pleased with the composure of this current team. Attempting to turn defenders, letting the ball run, confidently playing triangles in our own half, spotting and bursting into openings, not automatically hoofing it from the edge of our box. They just don't seem to panic on the ball. Sounds a bit dumb but it's so noticeable.

11 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

We have too much offensive talent to look as bad offensively as we did under Floro. That man has a shocking view of football and should never be allowed to coach every again. He turned every one of our players into useless, unconfident drones. He almost-literally sacrificed every offensive opportunity for defensive shape. It's like Van Gaal X 10. Which is scary to even think about.

27 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I really liked the Ricketts sub.

I didn't.. Ricketts gives up the ball too easily with his lack of skill/touch.. put more pressure on us when we were gassed and needed an outlet to hold the ball up.

1 minute ago, sose said:

I didn't.. Ricketts gives up the ball too easily with his lack of skill/touch.. put more pressure on us when we were gassed and needed an outlet to hold the ball up.

Wow...possibly the dumbest assesment ever...stick to badminton...and that's with all due respect to everyone's right to their opinion but man do you not have a clue

4 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Wow...possibly the dumbest assesment ever...stick to badminton...and that's with all due respect to everyone's right to their opinion but man do you not have a clue

I take it you weren't watching the game

4 minutes ago, sose said:

I thought he played well too. Just when he was the ball he always looks so stressed out and rushed

2 minutes ago, sose said:

Nope I was watching badminton like you...you make it too obvious that you don't like Ricketts so you have no idea what he brings as a late game sub...his touch has nothing to do with it even though it's not as bad as you make it out to be...time for some remedial soccer/football 101 my friend...btw Canada plays on Friday again in case you care to tear yourself away from whatever else it is you prefer to do

Great game for the most part. One of our most competitive games in quite some time. Airfield looked great. Davies is life. Kaye not bad at all. Houkett solid. I'm impressed. Could have won this. This malouda shit is really ticking me off though .

1 hour ago, longlugan said:

Nope I was watching badminton like you...you make it too obvious that you don't like Ricketts so you have no idea what he brings as a late game sub...his touch has nothing to do with it even though it's not as bad as you make it out to be...time for some remedial soccer/football 101 my friend...btw Canada plays on Friday again in case you care to tear yourself away from whatever else it is you prefer to do

.  Like I said.. you must not have been watching the game. He wasn't a late game sub, he played more than 1/3 of the match.

49 minutes ago, Vancouver Fan said:
1 hour ago, 1zzurri said:

This malouda shit is really ticking me off though .

Wont matter when we kick the Hondurans out of the tournament on Friday.

I appreciate your confidence, Vancouver Fan, and I think Canada can win for sure. I'm with 1zzurri, though, that it's amazing how Canada always runs into these obstacles that are beyond their control  (i.e. officiating and ineligible players, which is mind-blowing to witness at such a high level). Only in CONCACAF. Why didn't they play Malouda against Canada and hand us a 3-nil win? French Guiana probably has some deal worked out with Honduras and CR. It's CONCACAF - wouldn't surprise me. 

19 minutes ago, sose said:

.  Like I said.. you must not have been watching the game. He wasn't a late game sub, he played more than 1/3 of the match.

I agree with you sose, Ricketts did his job, properly, but has important technical defects and on this team, with players who have passing vision and technical quality, he is a bit of an eyesore. 

There were times today he lost the ball, and just stopped running, no committment to defence or to the team. I cannot forgive a player who has subbed on and still you see the guys who started an hour earlier working harder. 

If we are going to see him again, let it be attacking, int he box, where he can poach his Phil Esposito goals, and nobody expects anything more of him than that.

8 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Then it seems as though there are always n+1 zones and n defenders. And the spare zone with no defender always has an attacker and the ball always goes there!

We are giving up a free header at goal more often than not on a corner. We have been lucky to only concede two this way so far. This system is not working.

For being so tall Vitoria is not that great in the air. Manjrekar James would be an upgrade in how we deal with corners and crosses.

15 hours ago, Ruffian said:

For being so tall Vitoria is not that great in the air. Manjrekar James would be an upgrade in how we deal with corners and crosses.

Vitoria has scored a good number of goals on offensive corners in his career.

Archived