New CPL hire

Rheo

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/7412632-canadian-premier-league-nabs-hamilton-soccer-chief-john-gibson/

... Hamilton's John Gibson, who has been working behind the scenes advising the league, has been appointed director of interprovincial affairs for the CPL... For years, Gibson — like his close friend and former business partner John McGrane — has been a vocal proponent of a Tier I Canadian professional league...Among other duties, Gibson will help facilitate that co-ordination, liaising with provincial soccer bodies. "There's a lot of politics involved in soccer," he said. "And you can really get caught up in it. The experience I have working within that structure will help."

It's spun as being an indicator of a 2018 launch, but it speaks volumes about how Balkanized the administration of Canadian soccer is that a national league would ever see a need for a post like that. I'd question how relevant experience of being a district association president in Ontario would be in other provinces as that's really not that high in the hierarchy of associations and a long way from handling anything national in scope, so not sure this all adds up in the way described. Being a close friend and former business partner of John McGrane is probably the key and it looks like a way of saying, "We are still here", in the absence of something more newsworthy.

My guess would be that he'll eventually work for the Hamilton franchise in some capacity rather than the league because a district association president's most useful contacts will mainly be local to the Hamilton area and the most awkward politics in that regard are how to get local youth clubs to view the CPL team positively and as something to steer their players towards in terms of buying tickets rather than as a threat to be disparaged and/or ignored. The Ottawa Fury did a better job than FC Edmonton in this sort of regard when they went full-time pro, for example.

3 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Probably a necessary post if you're evervto build a proper pyramid, youth competitions, and player compensation system.

This. Great hire and I'm glad the CPL is trying to pull everyone in the same direction for once.

I hope things are falling into place in a real and meaningful way in the various markets for a 2018 launch, but at the risk of channeling BBTB, I don't see the hiring of a second prominent employee as supporting a strong claim that the 2018 launch is on track.  It is really the bare minimum that the league needs to do if it is actually progressing at all.  There is no way Beirne can continue to be the only person working to advance things at the league level.  As long as he was the only person advancing the league (aside from those embedded in specific markets), it is hard to see much progress.  TBH, in the context of a 2018 date (even just a soft launch) it is somewhat discouraging that more people and structures are not yet in place to start working things out in a more organized way.  I have never founded a pro footy league, but I suspect there are a million things that will need to be done.  Getting a second (then third, fourth, etc) employee working on that laundry list is pretty important, in parallel with all the necessary work that needs to take place to secure and finalize the initial markets.

On 10/07/2017 at 7:35 AM, dyslexic nam said:

I hope things are falling into place in a real and meaningful way in the various markets for a 2018 launch, but at the risk of channeling BBTB, I don't see the hiring of a second prominent employee as supporting a strong claim that the 2018 launch is on track.  It is really the bare minimum that the league needs to do if it is actually progressing at all.  There is no way Beirne can continue to be the only person working to advance things at the league level.  As long as he was the only person advancing the league (aside from those embedded in specific markets), it is hard to see much progress.  TBH, in the context of a 2018 date (even just a soft launch) it is somewhat discouraging that more people and structures are not yet in place to start working things out in a more organized way.  I have never founded a pro footy league, but I suspect there are a million things that will need to be done.  Getting a second (then third, fourth, etc) employee working on that laundry list is pretty important, in parallel with all the necessary work that needs to take place to secure and finalize the initial markets.

Not to say that this or any hire is a strong indication of a 2018 launch, but I really doubt Gibson is the second hire. There's already contacts listed for certain positions on canpl.ca which appeared without fanfare, someone seems to be running their social media with regularity, etc 

Beyond that, IIRC Beirne even said he wasn't the actual first CPL hire way back at the first Battalion/CSA/CPL meeting. He didn't really elaborate, but I don't think this is a 2 man show at the moment 

3 minutes ago, BradMack said:

This is not the second hire, Paul Beirne and Dave Keeley were before this. Dave keeley is director of corporate partnerships and has both MLS and CFL experience with the Whitecaps and the Argonauts.

Yup, even on his LinkedIn page he listed December as his start date working for CPL 

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/dave-keeley-4a5b1310

OK, maybe getting a bit obsessive if I'm checking LinkedIn... 

Archived