Costa Rica - July 11th Pre-Game Thread

TRM

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did I dream that Venegas was out with an injury? Could mean Joel Campbell gets the nod. I don't understand why sometimes he comes off the bench for Costa Rica. My theory is lack of playing time at club level, whether it be Sporting, Villarreal, or Arsenal. Anyone else notice this trend or is it just me? If so, can you theorize on why he does not start?

1 hour ago, Sport Shaman said:

It's game day in Houston and here's the view from our lodgings.

DSC05603.JPG

A few more hours /  beers on that ledge and finding the stadium might end up proving difficult. 

Awesome you made it down! Enjoy!

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Did I dream that Venegas was out with an injury? Could mean Joel Campbell gets the nod. I don't understand why sometimes he comes off the bench for Costa Rica. My theory is lack of playing time at club level, whether it be Sporting, Villarreal, or Arsenal. Anyone else notice this trend or is it just me? If so, can you theorize on why he does not start?

Obinna, i have no idea why they leave Campbell on the bench so often. If i were the coach he'd be in my XI every game.

I believe this game is being played in the same stadium where we wilted and died in the heat two years ago against Jamaica and gave up a late goal with about three Jamaicans left unmarked in the box as our tired forwards didn't track back with some of the Jamaican deep players who pushed up. Our team spent most of the match chasing the ball (even in a 0-0 draw for the first 90 minutes of the match). Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself here. Fielding a more talented squad with fresh legs and maybe getting a goal of our own in the first half would help in that regard.

Both games Canada has played here have been very slow.. we also drew the USA in 2013 away. Of course we didn't have the young legs and star players that we do now so maybe that changes and we can do damage on the counter. I expect a game where we stay patient and keep our shape, conserve energy and explode late on with additions like ricketts and Edwards. 

We took a bit of a break from drinking beer on the balcony to get some vermicelli bowls around the corner here and did a bit of a stadium walkabout. The match day crew is hard at work getting everything ready for the fan zone, all the TV crew trailers are in place and the back bar at Lucky's is ready to go.

DSC05607.JPG

DSC05608.JPG

DSC05609.JPG

DSC05611.JPG

DSC05613.JPG

2 minutes ago, Sport Shaman said:

We took a bit of a break from drinking beer on the balcony to get some vermicelli bowls around the corner here and did a bit of a stadium walkabout. The match day crew is hard at work getting everything ready for the fan zone, all the TV crew trailers are in place and the back bar at Lucky's is ready to go.

So jealous, looks great.  Enjoy cheer loud for us.

4 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

Can someone give me a prediction of the score tonight I'd like to place a wager. I'm saying 2-2 which pays 22:1 but I'd like a fellow voyageur to help me win or lose money 

If it's going to be a draw (which this optimist thinks is the likeliest outcome) I think 1-1 is better bet than either 0-0 or 2-2. But I'm sure the odds would reflect that.

1 hour ago, Sport Shaman said:

Cheering loud until our voices give out is our raison d'être for this whole pilgrimage. Allez Les Rouges!!

With that outfit and the beard, you are going to be the guy in the crowd they zoom in on when we score tonight!  Do canada proud...GO SHAMAN!!  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

With that outfit and the beard, you are going to be the guy in the crowd they zoom in on when we score tonight!  Do canada proud...GO SHAMAN!!  

Actually the model in my photos is none other than the inimitable @Mapleblood. I was the guy that got quite a bit of TV time during the French Guiana game.

4 minutes ago, Fussball_eh said:

Was your shirt not covering your belly fully?

You had to point that out. It was because my Ceinture fléchée (Voyageurs sash) was holding my shirt up when my arms went over my head with the scarf. It was not because my belly was trying to escape; trust me on this.

Just now, Sport Shaman said:

You had to point that out. It was because my Ceinture fléchée (Voyageurs sash) was holding my shirt up when my arms went over my head with the scarf. It was not because my belly was trying to escape; trust me on this.

haha, it was very flattering 8/10

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Quick, paint a maple leaf on your belly, you'll get interviewed at halftime. On a side note, my wife was quite striken with you if you were the gentleman they kept showing during the FG game.  

That's very flattering. I am blushing about as red as my V's T-shirt right now. 

Archived