Costa Rica - July 11th Pre-Game Thread

TRM

12 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I disagree. If you can isolate Waston, and dribble at him, he's very susceptible to mistakes. We have plenty of players that can cause him trouble by attacking  with pace. We'll need to avoid crosses into the box, and we'll have to restructure our set pieces.

Waston does some things well (air, body positioning, leadership at the back) and other things fairly poorly (related to balls on the ground). Mind you, I am thinking about the Caps, where Robbo let's him play out, when he is the most lead-footed player on the team. Obviously, cover the other guys, and let Waston play out, always. If you are playing Whitecaps. 

Also, when near Waston and getting into it, dive. Not swan dive, but let him take you down. I think Cavallini is well-prepared for this and we might get some pleasure from this, like for the first time in the history of Canadian soccer.

Also agree with you that he makes mistakes, does not have a quick start and also can make dumb errors leading to penalties and fouls in rivals' favour. With MLS refs, mind you. 

I suspect CR are smart enough to know how to help him avoid his weak points, unlike the Whitecaps.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Also agree with you that he makes mistakes, does not have a quick start and also can make dumb errors leading to penalties and fouls in rivals' favour. With MLS refs, mind you. 

Geiger's reffing tonight so we get all the MLS quality.

Excited for game day.  This may not be WCQ, but this is a big game for us.  Nervous and optimistic and hopeful and nauseous. 

Not really a praying man, but if there is some higher power I hope s/he would recognize that we deserve some small morsel of success.  Lets go boys.

2 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

I believe the game in Frisco is a 9pm Central Time start...tonights game in Houston is an early kick

Weather at kickoff 88F 61% humidity will feel like 97F....which for Houston is not terrible this time of year

Tonight's game (July 11th) vs Costa Rica, Houston, 7:30pm Eastern time, 6:30pm Central time.

Friday's game (July 14th) vs Honduras, Frisco (Dallas), 10pm Eastern time, 9pm Central time.

These weather posts have been confusing/misleading about when and where games are. Now that we are on the same page with the times and locations, someone feel free to fill in the temperatures.

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Borjan and Piette - cool as hell.

Davies, Cav and Arfield - scorching hot.

Piette's not used to the heat, Galicia where he was for years is like a warm version of southern Vancouver Island, Navarra is part-way into the Pyrenees, half the season they are at avg 10 degrees--and Borjan, where does he play?

I do believe the heat hurts us, quite a bit. As I see it we do not have a single player who is really used to it, even metabolically. For me it is the no. 1 negative factor going into this match.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Piette's not used to the heat, Galicia where he was for years is like a warm version of southern Vancouver Island, Navarra is part-way into the Pyrenees, half the season they are at avg 10 degrees--and Borjan, where does he play?

I do believe the heat hurts us, quite a bit. As I see it we do not have a single player who is really used to it, even metabolically. For me it is the no. 1 negative factor going into this match.

Costa Rica will definitely have the advantage with the heat but at least most of the MLS players will have played multiple games in the southern US in the middle of the summer.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm sure cavallini is used to it, also borjan spent his youth career in Argentina. Vitoria also playing most of his career in Portugal. 

I watched Costa Rica play Paraguay last summer in Copa America down in Orlando. It was ridiculously hot in the stadium. Had to be at least 35 with killer humidity. 

Anyways, for what it's worth, both teams were equally affected and the speed of play was very very slow.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I watched Costa Rica play Paraguay last summer in Copa America down in Orlando. It was ridiculously hot in the stadium. Had to be at least 35 with killer humidity. 

Anyways, for what it's worth, both teams were equally affected and the speed of play was very very slow.

I've been to Houston in March, it was quite hot and humid and I sure wouldn't want to be playing in it. It must be hellish at this time of year but I hate the heat anyways. I expect a very slow game as well.

19 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Can this move happen right away and not have to wait for the second round?

I think you had it right that Waston has to wait until the knockout round.  That's what the regs say, and now Pete Schaad is tweeting that Waston won't play against either us or FG.

The Tico attack I'm sure will be a step up in class compared to FG's so I hope that the back line is up to the challenge.  The Tico's impressed at the the last WC with their team defending so this will also be a good test for our young attacking players.  

Archived