Costa Rica - July 11th Pre-Game Thread

TRM

As much as I love to watch Davies play this is a 3 game in 7 day first round. Time for Edwards and Ricketts to run roughshod over the Ticos on the wings! Bring in Davies as a sub. Same with the forward position. Start AJH and bring in Cavalini as a sub. Got to rest some players and cycle. For once I'm pleasantly happy with our depth.

After getting the 1-0 win over Honduras they might think they have it made and plan for a guaranteed win against FG. Will they rest their starters or play them?

I think we have a real chance to win and I don't want it to come down to the last game against Honduras or goal diff.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those changes would be mistakes. At least a point should be taken from this game to ensure advancing. Davies being one of the most impactful players and needing a very small recovery time at 16 must start. Cavallini also and keep JH in a super sub role which he has become an expert in knowing what to do in a very short period of time at the end of the game to have an impact. Bernier's condition has to be evaluated to see if he can do the necessary running as a starter

1 minute ago, matty said:

i think you could tweak it a bit at the back

I don't think we'll see a change there.  I think the FBs will retain their places and since It was the first time this CB pairing has played together I think they will get another look unless they really crap the bed.

Gotta keep Costa Rica off the wings, they roasted the US in their last game in the HEX. I love the way Octavio wants us to attack but I think we'll get killed if De Jong and Petrasso attack too often. 

I'm not saying Park the bus but I wouldn't mind seeing counter attacks and stay compact.

Just now, Ngravs said:

Gotta keep Costa Rica off the wings, they roasted the US in their last game in the HEX. I love the way Octavio wants us to attack but I think we'll get killed if De Jong and Petrasso attack too often. 

I agree. That is why I'd like to see Edwards and Ricketts start. Then have Davies start against Honduras. 3 games in 1 week is a lot. We've got to cycle through some players and I'd rather do it against Costa Rica than against a desperate Honduras on the 14th.

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

When a full back pushes forward it is up to the midfield to cover. Piette was doing an excellent job of staying at home against FG which gave Petrasso the freedom to get forward. I imagine the same thing should work against Costa Rica although if they have a lot of pace in attack that will be a challenge for us.

I agree but I don't think Piette will be able to handle that all game, maybe than start Straith over Bernier play a 4-2-3-1 and have Piette and Straith cover for the fullbacks. I think I would just rather play through the middle and have Hoillett and Davies do most of the running and Sub them 60 ish or start Ricketts and Edwards. 

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

I guess it depends on how aggressive we want to be. Truth be told, a draw would suit both teams right down to the ground.

I agree, I think Canada needs to come out a little more defensive and look to score 1 goal, stay compact and allow less than two goals. 

We can't risk playing too open. We looked good on the counter but we need to show we can absorb some pressure.. that didn't happen Friday. Davies has to start and it could be a wake up call In which place sub him early.  You can't bench a kid after a huge game and he's unbelievably already played a bigger game in a tougher spot against tigres. 

I would be surprised if Bernier starts every group stage game, those old bones need rest.Teibert and Osorio can fill in (though quality drops a bit), or you can slot Hoilett as an AM and drop Arfield beside Sam.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Aird played RB, I think Petrasso was being tried out and I didnt see much difference between them defensively, while Aird can put in a more dangerous cross and compliment Juniors dribbling better.

Davies has to start.  His 2 goals will result in him being marked close, hopefully opening space for others. 

On 8/7/2017 at 3:07 PM, dsqpr said:

When a full back pushes forward it is up to the midfield to cover. Piette was doing an excellent job of staying at home against FG which gave Petrasso the freedom to get forward. I imagine the same thing should work against Costa Rica although if they have a lot of pace in attack that will be a challenge for us.

That is exactly the philosophy.

Octavio has the centre backs open up wide, sends the outside backs up high, and the DMs, Piette or Bernier, have to fall in and cover for the middle if need be, if we lose possession.

I distinctly recall how Jakovic was often very wide covering on the wing, on the right I think. Vitoria did not have the width. Zambrano has them do that, pressuring the outside outlet, instead of sitting in the middle and waiting, even with the outside beat. 

In contrast, they do sit back more, as we have more DM cover.

Davies right and especially Junior left had to track back to help the outside backs, and were not often there, often late, but the point is that the pressure has to be in all our defensive end, not just parts. 

Our key weakness vs. teams like CR is that we get caught between our own lines, and they pick us apart with quickness and passing. Players who have strong dribbles, like Arfield, have to be careful, since they tend to abuse them, and the better teams can find them out. Hoillet too, plays with his head down too much, can get stripped. 

Our other big risk, IMO, is that we try to take shortcuts based on Alphonso being quick. So we might have him burnt out by m. 30 forcing him to run for everything. We have avoid that have a slower buildup at times, then hit when right. 

I too believe this is the time to go for points, weakest CR in a long time, we are playing mostly CR league players.

There is no way we should rest Davies IMO.  If we need to be compact on defence and hit them on the counter, who is the best guy to race past their back line?  The Phonz.  Plus, there is no way you sit your top scorer in the tournament going into a crucial game only 2 into the tourney.  He is 16, he will have lots of energy tomorrow night.  Maybe by game 3 it will be an issue, but I doubt it.  And if the heat and humidity is an issue, I would rather see him empty the friggin tank over 60 minutes and have OZ do a planned substitution than rest him and bring him on late.  And I say this as someone who values the super sub role.  If we need someone to come on for the last 20-30 minutes and run at tired defences, we have other guys (like Ricketts) who can do it too. 

I hope Borjan is back.  Any idea of his odds of playing?  I am one of those (in the minority,I think) that doesn't blame Crepeau for the FG goals, but Borjan is def our guy and really seems to be a strong keeper for us. 

I'm sure the plan all along was to start phonz in our easy match and have him come on as a sub against Costa Rica but it will be hard to not start him. I say let him go and if he isn't up to it bring on a hungry winger.. you know Edwards and aird must be chomping at the bit to prove themselves here.  Ricketts is also a deadly option in that Texas heat with 15 to go. 

Archived