Future Gold Cup Hosts

Now I know that the US has held the Gold Cup since forever and all, but could Canada ever host it? We have the stadiums! Only trouble could be the conflicting CFL Schedule but other than that I don't see us incapable of such thing. 

What do you guys think? 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

Now I know that the US has held the Gold Cup since forever and all, but could Canada ever host it? We have the stadiums! Only trouble could be the conflicting CFL Schedule but other than that I don't see us incapable of such thing. 

What do you guys think? 

Canada,Mexico,joint hosts from central american countries(Costa Rica& Panama), joint caribbean hosts(Jamaica & T&T). There are many options that would work, but Concacaf must think a bunch of football crazy countries wont fill up stands( not like they sell out in US). 

Has the tournament ever been held outside of america? Maybe the tournament would generate more interest and revenue if they changed it up. 

US Gold Cups make money, and that (supposedly) filters down to the smaller concacaf members.  

Question is whether a GC here would be as profitable or at least close.  I think yes, but I also remember something about how Canada had to pay to host that one game in 2015, so given they didnt go for it again this year, im not sure if its worth it for CSA.  

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

US Gold Cups make money, and that (supposedly) filters down to the smaller concacaf members.  

Question is whether a GC here would be as profitable or at least close.  I think yes, but I also remember something about how Canada had to pay to host that one game in 2015, so given they didnt go for it again this year, im not sure if its worth it for CSA.  

Genuinely curious. Do we know that they didn't go for it again this year? All I ever see is an announcement saying "These are the cities/stadiums". With no public bidding process it's hard to say if Canada didn't try to get any games this time around, or if they tried and failed.

Also, do you know how much was paid to get those games (it was a doubleheader remember) in 2015? Do all cities have to pay to get games? Or did they have to pay because they didn't get some threshold of dollars from the tickets/merch from the games?

I suspect the money made by the host nation would change the equation quite a bit.  We may have paid to get a game in a tournament hosted by the US, but the revenue/expenditure equation might be a lot different if we were hosting.  Pure speculation of course, but it seems like the ability to host a tournament should allow for a mechanism that compensates the host nation for organizing costs.  Plus, hosting that level of tournament on a rotating basis would definitely raise the profile of the GC when it was held here in Canada.  Either way, it would be nice to see a high degree of transparency around the GC revenue and how it is allocated among the host and other federations. 

As an aside, it will be interesting to see the viewership this time around.  I know you can draw generalizations about the level of support for footy here in Canada, but along with MLS numbers, the GC will provide a good current barometer in the level of interest re Canada as a footy nation.

For cases like this year where US, Mexico and Canada are all in different group it would be nice if each country hosted its group. Then US and Mexico can alternate the knockout stages or something.

Basically, it seems silly to move the Gold Cup all over the US but not have Canada games in Canada. (not even in terms of wanting home games, just in terms of $. Mexico will draw in the US, Canada wont really so why not have those games here?)

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm so glad we have the USA host this tournament every year. No other country could provide giant crowds like we got in the Canada v French Guiana game last night.

Ah yea. I'm sure the Mexicans would give 2x the amount of fucks about that game

Matt Doyle was speaking about this on ETR I believe and was saying that despite this tournament not being the best it almost single handily helps concacaf countries as a whole, not only that but helps pay off tournaments such as U 17 U21 etc.

2 hours ago, Yoginess said:

For cases like this year where US, Mexico and Canada are all in different group it would be nice if each country hosted its group. Then US and Mexico can alternate the knockout stages or something.

Basically, it seems silly to move the Gold Cup all over the US but not have Canada games in Canada. (not even in terms of wanting home games, just in terms of $. Mexico will draw in the US, Canada wont really so why not have those games here?)

Something like that would actually be a really cool (and not totally out to lunch) idea to explore for the GC.  The US would never give up later-stage games, but we could try to get hosting rights for our group.  I think we would be able to get really solid crowds for those games, so the economic argument to host in the US is addressed.  Hell, the co-host bid for the WC even provides a template for the arrangement between our federations.  If ever there was a time to look into it...

8 hours ago, canta15 said:

Ah yea. I'm sure the Mexicans would give 2x the amount of fucks about that game

My point is just that on TV it looked like there were probably about 200 fans there in the first half of our game. I would argue you could probably draw at least 20 fans to any Gold Cup game in any CONCACAF country, and there is no meaningful difference between 20 and 200.

Yes, I know that the next game was sold out and likely wouldn't have been anywhere else other than Costa Rica or Honduras. And yes I know nations make more money as a non-host this way. But I don't know how the profits are divided up (I would be shocked if the USA doesn't get the lions share of money), and other countries don't get the chance to see the tournament at home.

Canada is obviously the country that could benefit the most from hosting solo. We could probably draw decent crowds, make more money for Canada than we get when USA hosts, then we could have a bit of seed money for CPL, we could also get home games in different cities across the country and get a sense of which cities support the national team well, guiding us on decisions for World Cup qualifiers, and of course create new fans from the increased exposure, and improve our results in the tournament by way of being the home team.

I'm convinced that USA has benefitted from eternally hosting this tournament in terms of national team support, support of the sport in general, and growing MLS. Meanwhile we sit around in relative dark ages.

There's no doubt the USA benefits greatly from hosting the Gold Cup and I certainly believe their profile gets raised by having meaningful games in different locales....the key for Canada hosting is getting the buy in from the smaller countries because if enough of them are convinced they'll make similar profits they might be more willing to do it...most of CONCACAF are tiny island nations who need that money for their federations....they know that playing in the US will maximize their bottom line

Here's the crowds so far.....pretty much can guarantee the Mexico game alone will probably push 60k..putting CR-Honduras in NYC area was smart because of how many ex-pats from those nations live in and near NYC will be interested to see what kinds of crowds are in Houston and Frisco....Mexico will draw great wherever they go and their 2 other games will be sellouts...

Friday 25,817

Saturday: 47,622

Heck Mexico makes more $$ playing in the US than they do Mexico...which is why they've never pushed to host....

If Friday's games were played in Canada on a good day 30k show up?? I think the Sat/Sun games would have much lower attendance if played in Canada IMO....

57 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

There's no doubt the USA benefits greatly from hosting the Gold Cup and I certainly believe their profile gets raised by having meaningful games in different locales....the key for Canada hosting is getting the buy in from the smaller countries because if enough of them are convinced they'll make similar profits they might be more willing to do it...most of CONCACAF are tiny island nations who need that money for their federations....they know that playing in the US will maximize their bottom line

Here's the crowds so far.....pretty much can guarantee the Mexico game alone will probably push 60k..putting CR-Honduras in NYC area was smart because of how many ex-pats from those nations live in and near NYC will be interested to see what kinds of crowds are in Houston and Frisco....Mexico will draw great wherever they go and their 2 other games will be sellouts...

Friday 25,817

Saturday: 47,622

Heck Mexico makes more $$ playing in the US than they do Mexico...which is why they've never pushed to host....

If Friday's games were played in Canada on a good day 30k show up?? I think the Sat/Sun games would have much lower attendance if played in Canada IMO....

Just going on the idea of Canada seeking to host its group games, I won't worry about the Mexico argument.  But for the Friday games, the US numbers you mentioned are for double-headers.  So average attendance per game is around 13,000 so far in our group - and that includes the most significant rivalry in the group between CR and Hon.  Could we get a total of 25k fans out to 2 properly promoted, competitive games in areas where there is a sufficient population to support decent attendance for the non-Canada group games?  I think we could.  We wouldn't be doubling up on games because there are just so many to host - we would be focusing on promoting a total of 6 games that all directly matter to our national team in our regional championship. 

Maybe I am delusional, but I think there is an argument to be made for this. I don't think the CONCACAF voting nations would stand to lose anything if we held those 6 games here.  We might need to convince the US to let us in with a joint bid, but it seems like the ideal time to mention it given our current joint WC bid.  Hell, they would only be giving up 3 double-headers (given the format they use) in the opening round, which isn't a big loss to them.  Even our current representation in CONCACAF's executive hierarchy might be a lever to use.

Am I completely out to lunch on this?  If the US gets to have home field advantage in every game of every Gold Cup, why couldn't/shouldn't we try to secure something reasonably similar just for the group games.

I think the idea of Canada hosting their group stage is a viable idea.....Mexico already plays their games in the southern/western US so those are like home games for them..moving Group A to Canada....double headers in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver maybe works??? I think thats viable...maybe a test run for 2026?? 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

If the US gets to have home field advantage in every game of every Gold Cup

Correction. They have played one game ever outside of the USA. They lost that game. On that note, Mexico has co hosted twice, where they played all their games at home all the way through the knockout rounds. They won both those tournaments.

Canada has proven that it's capable of hosting football tournaments and making money, most notably WWC in 2015 and U20 WC in 2007. 

I think it's time to have Canada host a Gold Cup in 2019 or 2021 and allow bids from with Mexico joint bids from countries like Costa Rica & Panama, etc. Not all countries have to host it but there should be more than 'Murica

Could the V's lobby the CSA to do something like this?  At least request that they look into the viability... kind of a business-case-level exploration of the idea...

With the WC coming, it could be a great dress rehearsal for organizers and help continue to build the growing interest in this country.  I know some tend to cautiously point to times in the past when footy has done a bit of a face plant in Canada, but it really seems like the level of sustained interest at this point is different, and it is far greater than I have seen in about 25 years of following the sport (started when I used to schedule Saturday morning trips to the laundry mat so I could tune into EPL matches on the cable that I couldn't afford at the time...). 

It really feels like the tides have changed for soccer in Canada, and at the risk of having too many irons in the fire (CPL, WC 2026, GC 20XX?) there is an argument for synergy and leveraging each project to take a quantum step in terms of the growth of the game in Canada.  I don't know how viable it would be to win hosting rights for the whole tourney, but seeking to host our GC group games might be a good start - and would shake up the US entitlement that seems to have rooted for this particular event.

Whether hosting in whole or in part, what would we (as V's) do to petition the CSA? 

I agree - but I am also wondering if we can do more than hope.  I have no idea what kind of connectivity we have to the CSA at the top level, but this seems like the kind of thing to push for.  Petition?  Letter on behalf of V's?  Face to face meeting between key people?  I don't know - just seems like an opportunity worth pursuing.

Archived