CPL TV Contract

12 minutes ago, Alex D said:

I don't understand the "dual loyalty" fan concept. There are always going to be conflicts, it's unavoidable. What happens when Hamilton or York play TFC in the cup? Is everyone supposed to hold hands and sing kumbaya? You are eventually going to have to pick one team and live with it. 

I don’t think Rollins is really “getting it” here.  He’s thinking surface level - the world has changed a ton since even the last Canadian professional soccer team was launched in 2014.  

The CPL all throughout has taken a modern approach to this league.  The ultimate move they made that everyone glances over is absolutelty genius - they monopolized the soccer media.  All (or most) prominent voices on social media turned their focus to CPL - that is INCREDIBLY powerful and something you could probably never pull off in any other sport. In particular, taking Larson was a coup - maybe the best CPL signing to date.  The guy is a mouthpiece, like him or not.

The CPL knows that opening day is their competitive advantage.. this one off game will be the one chance to be bigger than TFC.  This is a chance to create brand loyalty and a defining moment off the bat. As someone who was involved with Tim Hortons I’ve no doubt that DC is experienced in this area.  This chance will not come around again.

A lot of us didn’t have a family team growing up.  Before domestic football came in town we all had a “defining moment” that made us support a team.  I truly believe this derby, between two teams with supporters of TFC on the same day is going to create a ton of brand loyalty.  Many will be consciously making the decision to skip TFC and many will have defining moments at this derby.  And guess what?  When they play in the cup, that decision just got a whole lot easier... and then guess what?  TFC just became #2 for you. 

5 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Just seems like he is spouting off personal opinions. He is a hardcore fan and will have dual loyalty, most people won't... Sometimes he needs to act more like a journalist rather than posting thoughtless musings on twitter

he's giving opinion for sure but that opinion is based on something. he's likely talked to various figures in the know and something regarding this choice is giving him concern.

7 hours ago, nas said:
Ted, you may be right after all. It appears Duane wasn't so much reporting as he was speculating.

I sure hope so because if my source is right this whole project just got a whole lot more viable.

5 hours ago, matty said:

he's giving opinion for sure but that opinion is based on something. he's likely talked to various figures in the know and something regarding this choice is giving him concern.

Maybe the first player loan arrangement between teams in the two leagues he tweeted about got nixed where the, "I’m hearing concerning things in that regard. /fin" bit at the end is concerned. If TSN isn't in the picture I think that shifts the focus back to a company like DAZN as the way to change how domestic soccer is consumed.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

27 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

"The CanPL can not afford to get in fights with MLS fans or teams this season"

What a horrendous choice of words. 

It's probably valid where the GTA is concerned, because most of York 9's fanbase are likely to be TFC fans as well to a greater or lesser extent, true to an extent in Hamilton, but a bit of a stretch elsewhere with the possible exception of Whitecaps loyalties in Victoria.

3 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

"The CanPL can not afford to get in fights with MLS fans or teams this season"

What a horrendous choice of words.  

Not really.

Two of the CPL's seven teams are in direct competition with an MLS club. They just so happen to be the two who are playing in the opener. 

I don't mind the way the opening game is scheduled, but it'd be foolish if, say, York9 decided to go up against TFC on a regular. Just because there will be some fans that choose to attend York, why (as a brand new club struggling to create an identity) close yourself off to tens of thousands of potential other fans just for what amounts to a dick measuring contest? 

Especially since TFC's schedule is already well-established.

11 hours ago, matty said:

his report and your's were more similar than i think you believe they are

You have said that before and I have said why they are not.

For the last time, my source cited a $$$ figure for TV rights to be paid to the league by a ''network'' who would produce and 'broadcast" CanPL games with 8 cameras covering one game. (I have to use quotes because I was given no name and something like DAZN  or other online service isn't really a traditional "network" and streaming/cable isn't technically a "broadcast".)

The other report talked about the league buying time on a broadcaster and financing the broadcasts by selling advertising.

Two totally different models.

21 minutes ago, ted said:

For the last time, my source cited a $$$ figure for TV rights to be paid to the league by a ''network'' who would produce and 'broadcast" CanPL games with 8 cameras covering one game. (I have to use quotes because I was given no name and something like DAZN  or other online service isn't really a traditional "network" and streaming/cable isn't technically a "broadcast".)

The other report talked about the league buying time on a broadcaster and financing the broadcasts by selling advertising.

i don't recall you saying the network was producing the games at all.

tsn is a network (even their streaming site)

streaming is in the modern era defined as broadcast

8 cameras is more than some nhl games is a $100k~ set up. doing that outdoors sounds kind of insane to me. could be done but the cost is super high.

now you have totally misread rollins report (unless he's changed it since i read it) it seems cause there is no mention of them buying the air time. that is key. if they were given the air time for all games at no cost that is massive.

i hope you're right here and the network is giving a lot but this is a pretty good deal if rollins is right

Edited by matty

6 minutes ago, RS said:

Not really.

Two of the CPL's seven teams are in direct competition with an MLS club. They just so happen to be the two who are playing in the opener. 

I don't mind the way the opening game is scheduled, but it'd be foolish if, say, York9 decided to go up against TFC on a regular. Just because there will be some fans that choose to attend York, why (as a brand new club struggling to create an identity) close yourself off to tens of thousands of potential other fans just for what amounts to a dick measuring contest? 

Especially since TFC's schedule is already well-established.

How is CPL "getting in fights with MLS fans" ?  It's a ridiculous, false, inflammatory statement.

Pick and choose a match.  You can attend a Canadian league or an American league match.

There's going to be scheduling conflicts all over the place on a consistent basis.  Get used to it.

CPL will not revolve around TFC's schedule any more than CPL with revolve around dozens of other various professional teams they are competing with across Canada.

24 minutes ago, ted said:

I'm not sure if Rollins knows anything substantial but just gauging both of these options....his rumour seems more believable to me.

The only way I could see your source being correct if it is a combined domestic + international long term deal. Then it might make sense to invest that much money into broadcasting a start-up league. The truth is even with covering the production costs and spending a few million a year on the rights for CPL would still be much cheaper than the cost of rights to a lot of sports content around the world. 

32 minutes ago, matty said:

8 cameras is more than some nhl games is a $100k~ set up. doing that outdoors sounds kind of insane to me. could be done but the cost is super high.

now you have totally misread rollins report (unless he's changed it since i read it) it seems cause there is no mention of them buying the air time. that is key. if they were given the air time for all games at no cost that is massive.

i hope you're right here and the network is giving a lot but this is a pretty good deal if rollins is right

I understand and accept that broadcasting games costs an insane amount of money but not knowing how the industry works I can't understand why. 

35 minutes ago, matty said:

Wow does 8 cameras really cost that much? I guess that would include all the camera operators and directing? 

13 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Wow does 8 cameras really cost that much? I guess that would include all the camera operators and directing? 

it's up there, 3 cameras is like $20k, 5 is about 50k. i feel ok saying this is like 75 to 100k.

16 minutes ago, Alex D said:

I understand and accept that broadcasting games costs an insane amount of money but not knowing how the industry works I can't understand why. 

sound and editing guys cost a lot. you'd need some solid editing vets to do 8 cams and have it be watchable.

12 minutes ago, matty said:

it's up there, 3 cameras is like $20k, 5 is about 50k. i feel ok saying this is like 75 to 100k.

sound and editing guys cost a lot. you'd need some solid editing vets to do 8 cams and have it be watchable.

I am in the wrong profession

2 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

How is CPL "getting in fights with MLS fans" ?  It's a ridiculous, false, inflammatory statement.

Pick and choose a match.  You can attend a Canadian league or an American league match.

There's going to be scheduling conflicts all over the place on a consistent basis.  Get used to it.

CPL will not revolve around TFC's schedule any more than CPL with revolve around dozens of other various professional teams they are competing with across Canada.

Why rebut a so-called "ridiculous statement" with one of your own?

I didn't call for CPL to revolve around TFC's schedule, but I am suggesting that a couple of its teams (York especially) would be wise not to try to go head to head when it doesn't need to. This isn't a black and white, us vs. them issue as you seem to be trying to make it out to be.

I want all three of the GTA-based pro teams teams to be as successful as possible.

This isnt only just about York9 or Hamilton vs TFC.  Lets try and expand our minds a bit.  The league has chosen to showcase what they hope will be a great rivalry between York and Forge, and they are going to have the kickoff in Hamilton.  Great idea!!  Having it out west between Calgary and Edmonton would be the only other choice for the first game, but Hamilton has that nice stadium.  Hard cores are going to come from all over the country (like Mrs C). Why run away just because TFC has a game?  Because you might mildly upset a few 1000 TFC fans that might have torn loyalties (like Rollins)??  I hate to tell you but there will probably be weekends where york, hamilton and TFC all play home games, and maybe even up against the jays or leaf playoff games.  It doesnt have to be a head to head us vs them all season long, but it going to happen and on opening day the CPL should have all the advantages.  

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

This isnt only just about York9 or Hamilton vs TFC.  Lets try and expand our minds a bit.

It actually is, because that's the only game that's scheduled right now.

I expanded the argument to include the rest of the season for those two teams, as there is no real conflict elsewhere in the league with an established MLS club (Pacific being the closest, but it's not really that close in comparison). 

I also said I was fine with the opening game being scheduled as it is, so I actually agreed with most of the rest of your post.

Edited by RS

I don’t understand all the potshots at Duane. I consume his stuff all the time and even when he’s wrong (like him guessing a large percentage of foreign players were going to be American), he doesn’t deserve snide personal attacks. The guy has contributed more to Canadian soccer than just about anyone posting on this board.