CPL TV Contract

10 hours ago, matty said:

"...After hammering back and forth with a few people today what I’ve pieced together is this: The CanPL is very close to working out a pay-to-broadcast deal with TSN. Basically, the CanPL would pay for all production and talent costs and share in advertising revenue generated during the broadcast. In exchange TSN would promote the airing of the games..."

I fucking was right (it seems) everyone owes me $5 and has to say "you were right you annoying piece of human trash"

Even those, who also thought they would need to effectively pay for access like this rather than getting a rights fee and having TSN cover all the production costs? Wonder what the delay would be on the TSN deal. Guess we'll probably find out soon enough if it was because they are not able to fully nail down the schedule yet for stadium related reasons.

17 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Duane Rollins suggesting a pay-to-broadcast streaming deal on TSN is imminent.

Wow, all I can say is this does not seem to jibe with my source and would be real letdown personally.

My source says a big money deal has been agreed that will change the viability of the league.

Not to hate on Duane, but I hope it s his sources that are full of sh*t.  ;)

11 minutes ago, ted said:

Wow, all I can say is this does not seem to jibe with my source and would be real letdown personally.

My source says a big money deal has been agreed that will change the viability of the league.

I was on board with his leak, but given the tone of your post I am jumping ship and cheering for your scenario. 

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Even those, who also thought they would need to effectively pay for access like this rather than getting a rights fee and having TSN cover all the production costs? Wonder what the delay would be on the TSN deal. Guess we'll probably find out soon enough if it was because they are not able to fully nail down the schedule yet for stadium related reasons.

This is not what you would call effectively paying for access. Covering the production costs is not the same as buying air time. Air time is very costly, especially on a large network like TSN, and TSN appears to be giving them it without charge.

Edited by matty

22 minutes ago, ted said:

If they're getting the airtime for free with TSN, that's a big fucking money deal and changes the viability of the league. Also it's important to point out he's saying pay-to-broadcast (a term he's largely made up) and not paid programming because what he's described does not meet the definition of paid programming in any traditional sense.

7 minutes ago, matty said:

If they're getting the airtime for free with TSN, that's a big fucking money deal and changes the viability of the league. Also it's important to point out he's saying pay-to-broadcast (a term he's largely made up) and not paid programming because what he's described does not meet the definition of paid programming in any traditional sense.

Any idea how much it costs to produce a match (at reasonable quality)?

4 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Any idea how much it costs to produce a match (at reasonable quality)?

passable shit (so low quality but not overly terrible) starts usually in the $15k-25k range. I'm guessing (or hoping) they're be spending in the $30-50k range. Depending on how they transmit they might save some cash.

Edited by matty

At the pub night for York 9 last night, one of the team staff said there would be times that would be games the same day as TFC (although they would try to avoid them) and they would try to have them hours apart.  Once he mentioned the new Pioneer Village subway stop which is only the length of the football stadium from Alumni Field, that means that it's one subway line ride downtown and then a streetcar-right-of-way right to BMO Field so two hours between an end of game and start of another!   

Also remember that TTC allows free parking in their subway lots on weekends.  I used that to benefit last year to pull off a TFC III at Downsview (then parked at Wilson station) and rode to BMO Field to watch a TFC/TFC II doubleheader last summer.   

The York staffer last night said they are aiming for a preference of Saturday afternoon games.  

Also, what do fans in London England do? They have Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Watford, West Ham, Crystal Palace, and Fulham all playing within hours and they can't all be out of town on the same weekend right? Maybe like them it's time to make a choice!

If the CPL really has a rumoured deal with TSN then CPL game at 1pm leading into 3pm TFC game then maybe Vancouver will turn into an overlong day of TV for most fans without moving off their couch.

1 minute ago, Rocket Robin said:

Also, what do fans in London England do? They have Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Watford, West Ham, Crystal Palace, and Fulham all playing within hours and they can't all be out of town on the same weekend right? Maybe like them it's time to make a choice!

If the CPL really has a rumoured deal with TSN then CPL game at 1pm leading into 3pm TFC game then maybe Vancouver will turn into an overlong day of TV for most fans without moving off their couch.

they follow one team. i'm kind of surprised that a lot of fans want to follow both teams (i can't think of this being the norm elsewhere, shit cosmos wasn't sharing fans with red bulls and nycfc). there are also a lot of guys that seem to be fans of the league rather than a team (like were people flying in to see the first tfc game?) 

4 minutes ago, matty said:

they follow one team. i'm kind of surprised that a lot of fans want to follow both teams (i can't think of this being the norm elsewhere, shit cosmos wasn't sharing fans with red bulls and nycfc). there are also a lot of guys that seem to be fans of the league rather than a team (like were people flying in to see the first tfc game?) 

The success of the CPL will happen when people stop supporting the league and start hating their rivals.

I just hope they don't cheap out and do a community TV level of broadcast, for instances by using Cable 14 in Hamilton to produce it with TSN branding. In these cases it's usually 3-6 cameras depending on the setup. One high, two low etc.

The Fury were on Rogers TV in Ottawa at one point. Back in the USL days I remember when Sportsnet had a conflict during the VCup and GOLTV picked up the TFC at Whitecaps. They used the Whitecaps local setup for it.

Edited by Cblake

18 hours ago, Ruffian said:

TSN Direct  has many other sporting events streamed that do not appear on any of the channels. They also have most of the games on-demand after it has played. I would be happy with TSN, I just hope they improve their apps on all devices.

This! They need to invest in a chromecast option FFS. Big news if true and probably the best outcome.