CPL TV Contract

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

On my phone, only did a quick scan to see if this posted already.

Duane Rollins suggesting a pay-to-broadcast streaming deal on TSN is imminent.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/articles/canadian-premiere-league/the-date-and-what-might-come-next-r60/

edit: streaming and TV deal?

The right thing and most realistic thing to do for CPL on year 1. That being said, he's complaining a lot about the league being disrespectful to TFC fans having to chose between 2 products... he must have missed the memo that the league will go after viewers who have clubs in multiple provinces. To build a schedule solely on when TFC plays is extremely restrictive, unrealistic and downright stupid.

If the deal is true, you must imagine that no conflict with CFL will be allowed and that an effort has been made to avoid the Jays when possible.

Realty is that the league can't avoid everyone.

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The right thing and most realistic thing to do for CPL on year 1. That being said, he's complaining a lot about the league being disrespectful to TFC fans having to chose between 2 products... he must have missed the memo that the league will go after viewers who have clubs in multiple provinces. To build a schedule solely on when TFC plays is extremely restrictive, unrealistic and downright stupid.

If the deal is true, you must imagine that no conflict with CFL will be allowed and that an effort has been made to avoid the Jays when possible.

Realty is that the league can't avoid everyone.

I think his main focus is not avoiding TFC all year, more avoiding them for the kickoff in which you want as much attention and as many media eyes on you as possible.  I think he overstates his case and I disagree with his negativity toward the potential TSN deal, but I think his point is it would have been nice to focus as many Canadian fans on that inaugural game as possible.

On 1/29/2019 at 12:03 PM, m-g-williams said:

I might be out to lunch here, but I seem to recall the NASL using a two-pronged approach with ESPN. Didn't they have all/vast majority of their games available through the ESPN app/streaming platform (whatever it's called), with one or two games a week also shown on TV via ESPN? If the CPL is able to go that route through Sportsnet-TVA Sports/TSN-RDS/CBC-Radio Canada Sports, I think that'd do the trick.

NASL had a mix with all their league games broadcast :

- Local TV deals for all clubs home matches

- National TV Deals with One World Sports, CBS Sports Network, beIN Sports (Canada and USA), and GOL TV.

- Streaming on ESPN3

- Miami FC also had their matches shown internationally in 100 countries (using Eurosport TV, and beIN Sports TV)

9 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I think his main focus is not avoiding TFC all year, more avoiding them for the kickoff in which you want as much attention and as many media eyes on you as possible.  I think he overstates his case and I disagree with his negativity toward the potential TSN deal, but I think his point is it would have been nice to focus as many Canadian fans on that inaugural game as possible.

To be fair though, they did avoid TFC. I understand that it sucks for TFC season ticket holders who must choose between going to TFC and missing part/all of CPL game or just go CPL and miss TFC.

For everyone else coast to coast, CPL can do inaugural celebrations before the 1pm kickoff. By the time the game is over, TFC kicks off after, then you just change channels. I get his point but it isn't as grim as he makes it sound or those who weren't planning to go to the stadium.

Yeah, his rant towards the TSN deal is just plain nonsense

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

On my phone, only did a quick scan to see if this posted already.

Duane Rollins suggesting a pay-to-broadcast streaming deal on TSN is imminent.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/articles/canadian-premiere-league/the-date-and-what-might-come-next-r60/

edit: streaming and TV deal?

If it's with TSN then it would have to be both TV and streaming...because their streaming service is basically just streams of their TV channels...

I guess the main downside with TSN is they are the most expensive if you are a cord cutter. DAZN and Sportsnet Now are $20/mth, TSN Direct is $25/mth. Though they do have an option for 24hr stream pass for $5...

I'm guessing they could still sell the international rights to whoever...

Seems like a lot of complaining based on the Twitter echo chamber.  Criticizing the TSN deal is inane.  The CPL folks knew what their options were.  You, me and Rollins did not.  They aren't morons, so they presumably picked the best deal - and it is basically one that many of us were absolutely hoping for.  Exposure and access via TSN as a broadcasting  partner is ideal for this league.  Most hardcore sports fans have TSN and many casuals will get exposed to CPL when they flip through the channels.  Agnostic of who is paying (and again, this is likely the best option from CPL's perspective) it is a great outcome.  

So in the end, it just comes down to a TFC booster complaining that CPL forced some fans to make a choice about which to attend.  But if that was the byproduct of having a really great opportunity to get Canadian footy fans exposed to the kickoff match of a new league, it makes way more sense to bookend the game with a TFC match to leverage domestic interest in this country.  A few conflicted hardcores who may have to skip one of the two is clearly an acceptable price to pay for most people involved.  And I am not sure I disagree if the factual claims in Rollins article is accurate.  

6 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

If it's with TSN then it would have to be both TV and streaming...because their streaming service is basically just streams of their TV channels...

TSN Direct  has many other sporting events streamed that do not appear on any of the channels. They also have most of the games on-demand after it has played. I would be happy with TSN, I just hope they improve their apps on all devices.

Just now, Ruffian said:

TSN Direct  has many other sporting events streamed that do not appear on any of the channels. They also have most of the games on-demand after it has played. I would be happy with TSN, I just hope they improve their apps on all devices.

Right they have streams for alternate live feeds not on TV but my point was whatever is on TV is on their app. So it would pretty much have to be a deal for both TV and streaming...not an either or. Sportsnet would be the same way.

I know I'm not the only person on this forum that's not from the Greater Toronto Empire, but for what an outsider's perspective is worth . . . I really don't see what the fuss is about re: the scheduling of the inaugural match. Yes, it's a conflict, but realistically there were bound to be conflicts at some point anyway. Forge FC, York 9 and the CPL head office must have known this from the moment they decided to put two teams so close to TFC, but they still felt confident enough to move forward with approving the clubs. I'm honestly kind of shocked that scheduling conflicts are coming as such a surprise to everyone, and how this is somehow seen as an insult to local footy fans.

I've also heard people here going on for ages about how Missisauga, Oshawa, Sarnia and a hundred other Hogtown suburbs I can never keep straight could each (eventually) support a club. If this is really the case, again, I don't really see why people are shocked and appalled that the inevitable scheduling conflict in the soi-disant centre of the universe happened sooner rather than later . . . or why everyone is scared that the Golden Horseshoe - that captures roughly one third of the entire country's population - won't have enough footy fans to attend each match. Besides, Hamilton has shown some of the strongest local, grass-roots support of any CPL city. And from what I can gather re: Hamilton's rivalry with Toronto in general, I'd imagine that even Hamilton fans of TFC would want to put their own club first, no? 

I'll never claim or pretend to understand the dynamics of Southern Onterrible, but to me it just looks like a lot of people getting flustered over a very minor issue. We have our league, we have our teams, we're getting our players, we're getting our sponsors, we have our first match, and (by the sounds of it), we'll soon have our broadcasting deal. That's what really matters. 

3 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

. . . or why everyone is scared that the Golden Horseshoe - that captures roughly one third of the entire country's population - won't have enough footy fans to attend each match. 

I have to admit this is a big part that baffles me.  The GTA has 10 million people.  If there aren't enough footy fans in the city to get a good crowd out for CPL's first match ever because they will all be at the TFC game, the whole endeavour is pretty much fucked. 

3 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I'll never claim or pretend to understand the dynamics of Southern Onterrible, but to me it just looks like a lot of people getting flustered over a very minor issue. We have our league, we have our teams, we're getting our players, we're getting our sponsors, we have our first match, and (by the sounds of it), we'll soon have our broadcasting deal. That's what really matters. 

Yeah, all of this.

"...After hammering back and forth with a few people today what I’ve pieced together is this: The CanPL is very close to working out a pay-to-broadcast deal with TSN. Basically, the CanPL would pay for all production and talent costs and share in advertising revenue generated during the broadcast. In exchange TSN would promote the airing of the games..."

Oh my

On 1/27/2019 at 2:35 PM, matty said:

i don't think a broadcaster is going to be paying for the production cost

On 1/27/2019 at 2:42 PM, matty said:

no i'm think the broadcaster gives them the airtime (maybe controlling the ads that are broadcasted) but cpl has to pay for the production of the broadcast so both are investing in the broadcast....

I fucking was right (it seems) everyone owes me $5 and has to say "you were right you annoying piece of human trash"

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Besides, choosing which game to attend might not be that hard to figure out

hey don't discount ride or die baby. tfc the weezer of soccer

so 2015-17 was blue and pinkerton. this means fans have green, pork and beans, everything will be alright in the end, white and the africa cover to look forward to.

Edited by matty

back on topic. this is the best outcome (aside from every game shown on proper tv). they are not paying for airtime or to be on a service (at least it seems this way) which is amazing. tsn is taking a chance on them and that is arguably bigger than vw partnering. yes they are paying for the production but having this level of access for "free" is massive and if it is just a streaming deal it gives cpl a great place to make a statememt. 20k people watching a premium sports stream isn't  a tiny number in canada.

2 hours ago, matty said:

I fucking was right (it seems) everyone owes me $5 and has to say "you were right you annoying piece of human trash"

I mean, CSB bought a production company and announced it so it's not like you were going on on some huge limb.

Honestly no matter how they hash the deal out, it will always be the CPL and the broadcaster sharing the risk and costs. As well, they will both be sharing the profits. 

It just depends on how much the CPL and broadcaster beleive in the product. I won't take to much stock of leaked news like this. But I am sure the CPL will have to put their money where their mouth is in order to get a deal. 

Just remember, if they are paying for production. They may have a chance to recoup the money and even make money through revenues from ads. 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Lets be honest being on TSN and as a result becoming force fed to consumers thru Sportscenter is the best way in this country to be legitimized with joe average. Thats really what the CPL needs the most right now

I think you're right and wrong. 

They can't go wrong being on TSN.  If they'll have you, they'll invest in you, and all and all just make a more than honest effort to see things onto success.  I'm not saying they're going to go nuts trying to make a silk purse from a pig's ear, but they'll give things a real go and that can go a long way in to winning over the casuals into becoming the not so casuals.  They'll make it easier to become a real fan.

But Joe Average can bugger off.  Would be happy to have him on board but he isn't necessary for the success of this league.  You either get footie or you don't.  I'm too old to continue wishing Joe Average will see the light and I think the CPL Big Heads get that as well.   

7 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I think you're right and wrong. 

They can't go wrong being on TSN.  If they'll have you, they'll invest in you, and all and all just make a more than honest effort to see things onto success.  I'm not saying they're going to go nuts trying to make a silk purse from a pig's ear, but they'll give things a real go and that can go a long way in to winning over the casuals into becoming the not so casuals.  They'll make it easier to become a real fan.

But Joe Average can bugger off.  Would be happy to have him on board but he isn't necessary for the success of this league.  You either get footie or you don't.  I'm too old to continue wishing Joe Average will see the light and I think the CPL Big Heads get that as well.   

I am curious about this part.  The reality is that Canadian pride and nationalism is a big factor behind sport fan participation in this country.  The Raptors get more viewers than an all-US NBA game.  The CFL gets eyeballs precisely because it is our league because - lets face it - if you want to watch the best pointyball in the world, you watch NFL.  And a bit closer to home for the purposes of this thread, the MLS games with Canadian teams get far more viewers than a random all-US MLS game, and an all-Canadian derby gets yet another bump.

Joe Average might not make or break this league, but I think one metric for success will be just how many Joe and Jane's we can get hooked into the product over the medium term.

Edited by dyslexic nam