CPL TV Contract

5 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Don't think NASL ever had a game on ESPN television. I know they had the CBS sports and the Cosmos had games on a weird channel.

NASL did have a deal with ESPN in some later years. It was separate from what the cosmos and SF deltas had. I believe ESPN 3 would show 1 game a week or something. Wasn’t all that great, and i think the teams had to pay for production.

Just now, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

NASL did have a deal with ESPN in some later years. It was separate from what the cosmos and SF deltas had. I believe ESPN 3 would show 1 game a week or something. Wasn’t all that great, and i think the teams had to pay for production.

Yes, ESPN3, but ESPN3 isn't TV.

6 hours ago, matty said:

it's kind of odd they're using a 1pm time slot. it's  commom nfl timeslot is it not?

i also think dazn is out personally. not enough reach compared to the tsn or sportsnet aps in canada to make vw getting on broad make sense. could still be it but unless bein is also showing games can't see it

TSN has the TFC game at 3pm Eastern and Whitecaps game at 5pm Eastern. Is it possible this match was deliberately scheduled for 1pm to set up a TV triple header?

One other thing to consider...the league will be kicking off right about the time the second round of the NHL playoffs are starting up. CBC and Sportsnet are a little preoccupied that time of year!

I don't think there is any chance where every match will be broadcast on regular TV. For me, the ideal scenario is a featured game of the week on a traditional sports channel, combined with access to every other match on a subscription streaming service.

Besides DAZN, the other player in the market that we need to consider is FloFC. They just signed a deal with CONCACAF as the exclusive English language rights holder for the Concacaf Nations League. They purchased the Canadian rights for the Coppa Italia. They have the rights for DC United. They don't have the big name properties that DAZN does, so they may be more likely to look at something niche like the CPL.

1 hour ago, masster said:

I don't think there is any chance where every match will be broadcast on regular TV. For me, the ideal scenario is a featured game of the week on a traditional sports channel, combined with access to every other match on a subscription streaming service.

Besides DAZN, the other player in the market that we need to consider is FloFC. They just signed a deal with CONCACAF as the exclusive English language rights holder for the Concacaf Nations League. They purchased the Canadian rights for the Coppa Italia. They have the rights for DC United. They don't have the big name properties that DAZN does, so they may be more likely to look at something niche like the CPL.

This is what I mean when I complain about all these damned streaming services though! I’ve got cable, Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS all access (which I’ll be canceling because I no longer need it to watch Star Trek Discovery) soon I may have to get DAZN and or FloFC! It’s too much. To make things worse, they keep changing programming, so I can’t just buy and stick with one! It’s a bloody turnstyle or programming. 

7 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

How many parking spots do you have lol?  Do you have 2?  I have 6 season seats with friends so need 2 spots.  Can I rent your spot for the season?  

Well, I have 2, but we have two cars. My plan is to just snag street parking earlier on in the day,  leaving one open. But right now we only have 1 street parking permit.

It's really not hard to get parking around here though,  I've been driving down for a few years for the Cats before moving here. There's a number of lots, and if they do the same deal with HSR as they do for Ticats games they have express busses from farther lots. 

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I have DAZN and caved in because of the variety of football (both the round and oval type) and other sports - and I've been very satisfied so far.  Having said that, I don't think it's a good fit for the CPL, yet.  The footprint for the casual soccer fan just isn't there.

I have DAZN as well, bought it just for Champions/EUROPA.  Have to say, so far as footie is concerned I'm more than a bit underwhelmed, just 'cause I'm more of a Britball fan.  Boxing & cricket hold my casual attention so I make my excuses if you know what I mean.  And snooker.  A vice from the old days ?.   Added together I think it's worth 40 cents a day.

However, I am spoiled by High Def through the cable.  DAZN's signal in no way, shape, or form, matches cable quality.  It's good, but it ain't the HD brought through the cable box.  Not on SHAW in Winnipeg anyway. 

Have a pal who bought it last year for the NFL content at the time and am surprised how many people I know who have it or are aware of it just because of their own interests.  So I'm open to whether CPL could find a place there or no. 

As always production value can go a long way to making up for any other perceived shortcomings.  Especially if DAZN can partner with the CPL to get fans/supporters to give it all a spin (extra month free for pass holders or something similar?)         

8 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Haven't used DAZN...is a decent app/reliable stream?

I love it, I also have very high speed internet though, so I don't have much many issues streaming most things. It's HD and speedy. It would be great if the CPL went with DAZN as I am going to have in anyway for Ligue 1, Champions League, with the bonus of Bellator, Serie A, KHL, NFL and next year EPL... Pretty good deal if you're into 2 or 3 of those properties. 

If DAZN is interested (especially if they're not picking up production costs) might also be that they don't have as much programming in the summer.  Signed up for it for Champions League, but have found myself enjoying some Championship & League Cup as well.  Six Nations starts this week too.

DAZN is the right place for sports you already know you want to watch, but it's not great for getting you in to sports/leagues that you might enjoy if you gave them a chance.

26 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I feel like SN has been giving the CPL its most dedicated coverage by far, so fingers crossed that's indicative of deeper partnership on the horizon.

This mixed with the time of the game leads me to believe that it could be Sportsnet, and they don't want to compete with TFC on TSN

56 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I feel like SN has been giving the CPL its most dedicated coverage by far, so fingers crossed that's indicative of deeper partnership on the horizon.

they also give the canmnt a ton of coverage (interviews, opinion pieces) but don't broadcast games. i think the amount of coverage means nothing regarding this.

15 minutes ago, matty said:

they also give the canmnt a ton of coverage (interviews, opinion pieces) but don't broadcast games. i think the amount of coverage means nothing regarding this.

Agreed. I actually find Sportsnet is a bit more sports newsy focused than TSN, which spends most of its time pushing it's properties and doing "investigative" pieces. Make no mistake, Sportsnet pushes a ton on its NHL and MLB properties but they do seem to send media to cover sports events and announcements too.

14 minutes ago, matty said:

I think the key here is they are using a CP report, so no reporter dispatched to the event despite it being in Toronto. Sportsnet's John Molinaro attended.

Also of note, as far as I can see, CBC doesn't even have it posted on their soccer page:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer

38 minutes ago, Andrew W said:

I think the key here is they are using a CP report, so no reporter dispatched to the event despite it being in Toronto. Sportsnet's John Molinaro attended.

Also of note, as far as I can see, CBC doesn't even have it posted on their soccer page:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer

exactly tsn is doing what it does all the time (more bare bones coverage) while sportsnet is doing its glamour thing cause it has a better website.

tsn is focused on updating quicky sports coverage and broadcasting (with less glam) while sportsnet is far more open to being a news anf opinion site. there is nothint special really happening on either end 

edit sorry missed the first paragraph when i scrolled

Edited by matty

On 1/29/2019 at 12:00 PM, mpg_29 said:

I honestly hate marketing/PR verbiage..

Yeah, when I read "innovative media partners set to alter the way Canadians consume domestic soccer" I pictured them trying to sell us cakes decorated with a snapshot of a play from the game.