Is Anthony Totera be given us another CPL hint?

5 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Ansem, at the very start I always thought that Totera was a huge joke. However, my opinion has certainly change. I now take his words to be 85% accurate. My gut now tells me that we are moving much closer to the Great Prairie Derby: Winnipeg/Regina/Saskatoon.

I absolutely believe that it's indeed the intent but still pending investors going through the whole thing.

Listening to Beirne interviews, his strategy for the league is crystal clear. That's why despite Fraser valley in Langley raising an eyebrow, rivalries and derbies an Metro Vancouver is the endgame with supporters groups and fans being the heart of it.

CPL might not or never surpass MLS, but passion wise, it already does and will once the league matures

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Here are the latest tweets from Anthony Totera. As of today, he acknowledges that Regina, Saskatoon and Quebec City will be part of the CPL. He is also dead serious that what he's posting is no rumor and no joke...

Is somebody in his position ever likely to say that they made it all up to inject a feel good factor into the proceedings and gain some attention for his podcast after sending out a series of tweets like that? The strangest absence from his list of seven is K/W given there was an article with attributed quotes from both the PDL team and Paul Beirne in the Kitchener Record about K/W United's possible participation and the strangest inclusion is Edmonton given FC Edmonton stated they were not part of the "original six" that circulated in the Halifax pdf and the Katz group when approached confirmed that CPL wasn't on their radar. My impression is that Totera had a pretty good idea who five would be based on the info that we have all seen in recent weeks and made an educated guess with Calgary and Edmonton and in the process managed to overlook a sixth market (i.e K/W) that there is solid information on at this point. Time will tell how far things get in these cities as translating serious interest into concrete participation is no slam dunk given the lack of suitable stadia.

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Is somebody in his position ever likely to say that they made it all up to inject a feel good factor into the proceedings and gain some attention for his podcast after sending out a series of tweets like that? The strangest absence from his list of seven is K/W given there was an article with attributed quotes from both the PDL team and Paul Beirne in the Kitchener Record about K/W United's possible participation and the strangest inclusion is Edmonton given FC Edmonton stated they were not part of the "original six" that circulated in the Halifax pdf and the Katz group when approached confirmed that CPL wasn't on their radar. My impression is that Totera had a pretty good idea who five would be based on the info that we have all seen in recent weeks and made an educated guess with Calgary and Edmonton and in the process managed to overlook a sixth market (i.e K/W) that there is solid information on at this point. Time will tell how far things get in these cities as translating serious interest into concrete participation is no slam dunk given the lack of suitable stadia.

He did mention KW as of last week. They will be in the CPL, but not until 2019 or 2020 (the latest).

Totera CPL 1.jpg

54 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Here are the latest tweets from Anthony Totera. As of today, he acknowledges that Regina, Saskatoon and Quebec City will be part of the CPL. He is also dead serious that what he's posting is no rumor and no joke. This is also going back to the last postings from last week. I now take this guy very serious.

See, this is the same reason why I'm convinced he's talking out of his ass.

So which one is it where these lists are concerned? He appears to me to just be throwing names out blindly for every conceivable possibility at this point. K/W are already playing at a reasonably high level in PDL and hence already have access to a 6000 capacity stadium to play in. That should actually be one of the easiest ones to get up and running in a CPL context.

7 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

See, this is the same reason why I'm convinced he's talking out of his ass.

I don't think so...You're just another Nay Sayer who was proven wrong by him. What's so sad about you is that you don't want to admit defeat that he has already proved you and all your friends wrong.

4 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

I don't think so...You're just another Nay Sayer who was proven wrong by him. What's so sad about you is that you don't want to admit defeat that he has already proved you and all your friends wrong.

Sorry, what?

Proven wrong?  Do I really need to recount the numerous times we've caught him clearly talking out of his ass?

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Sorry, what?

Proven wrong?  Do I really need to recount the numerous times we've caught him clearly talking out of his ass?

He has never talked out of his ass....That's wrong. The guy has been banged-on with all his info. Show to me all the time he has been wrong?

8 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

I don't think so...You're just another Nay Sayer who was proven wrong by him...

Wrong about what specifically? It's been known that a push was underway by the CSA to form a domestic pro league going back as far as 2010 or so and Bob Young's interest in pro soccer in Hamilton has been documented going back even further than that. Totera holds up the existence of that push as evidence that he is right about something when nobody as far as I am aware has even questioned that angle. The reason his credibility is weak with a lot of people on here is stuff like the non-story he peddled over Giovinco and China or the top Euro team that was supposed to be interested in CPL. He doesn't exactly seem to have been bang-on with that sort of info.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎04 at 2:50 PM, ironcub14 said:

A team in Toronto such as TFC doesn't draw fans purely from the City of Toronto; it draws fans from all across the GTA. Same goes for Vancouver, Caps, and Greater Vancouver. The point of putting a team in Mississauga or Surrey is to capitalize on the civic pride that the two cities have, as two large distinct suburbs that wish to seek its own identity from its big brother. That said, if you put a CPL team in Sauga or Surrey, I doubt you will be getting many fans coming out from the eastern or northern part of GTA, like Pickering or Markham, or the northern, northeastern or southwestern part of Greater Vancouver, like North Van, Coquitlam or Richmond, though I think that the teams should play at a location where it's at least as easy as possible for fans in these other cities to attend by public transit or by car. 

But for the most part, the main point of putting a team in Surrey would be to draw on Surrey pride. Why one would negate that by putting it in Langley doesn't make sense to me. Not only that, Langley would be accessible purely by car, and would make it that more difficult for any CPL fan outside of Surrey/Fraser Valley to get to. It'd be like putting a team in Oakville, and asking Sauga fans to show love for the western part of GTA. Yeah it could work, and maybe it's only a 5 minute drive away for some neighbourhoods, but you're really further narrowing down the catchment area of fans.

Seems like the root of the problem is branding. If a team is based in Langley, in a particular area that's close to Surrey, like others have said before, just brand it something neutral and it will be fine. The key is to have the stadium close to a population centre. Mississauga fits that bill and I'm sure it will draw people from Burlington, Oakville, Milton, Georgetown, Parts of Toronto (Etobicoke in particular) and begrudgingly Brampton if it is done right considering all those places will be closer to Mississauga CPL than TFC.

52 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Ansem, at the very start I always thought that Totera was a huge joke. However, my opinion has certainly change. I now take his words to be 85% accurate. My gut now tells me that we are moving much closer to the Great Prairie Derby: Winnipeg/Regina/Saskatoon.

It has all the hallmarks of a cup those three can play for.

Here's the thing. It's very likely that Totera didn't mean this list to be taken literally. So most of this argument can be dispelled if people believe that he is listing cities that have a *chance* to be in CanPL on the specified dates and not listing cities that *will be* in CanPL on the dates that he's specified. I doubt if you asked him that he would say that all of those teams are locked on for the dates he's listed. Seriously, how could anyone **absolutely for certain** say that Niagara Falls will have a team in 2021. C'mon folks.

However, for those of you who are Totera literalists, if CanPL in 2019 does not include all of Ottawa, Langley, S'toon, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Halifax, Toronto, Quebec City, Markham, Regina, London, & K-W then hopefully someone retrieves this post. 

In 2019 they all won't be in the league of course. But ultimately that won't mean much.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

top Euro team that was supposed to be interested in CPL. He doesn't exactly seem to have been bang-on with that sort of info.

Not necessarily interested weighing in on the rest of this debate again... But I'd at least give him partial credit for this one. Footysoldiers did report that there was a team, I think they said Aston Villa (correct me if I'm wrong, those who listened), though they said they weren't convinced the talks ever went anywhere 

This is where I think the cryptic tweets come from... I would not be taken aback if he was being fed information from within the CSA, but I suspect the feeder themselves only has kernels, which in turn get over extrapolated. Especially when left so open to interpretation in 140 characters. Just my sense. 

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Yes I saw that. But I still think that if he has been told by league officials that there is interest in the cities listed with a hope that they might enter around the years that he's listed, then in his mind he's not working in rumours but he's also not being as literal as people on here are taking him. Maybe this is his best case scenario not his locked-on guarantee that these teams will launch on the years listed. 

Two other things, and I'm not trying to be mean with these just honest. 

1) As much as I admire Totera's enthusiasm, I often have to read his tweets more than once to decipher what they say. To think that now he's being incredibly precise with his written communication seems more than a little foolish. 

2) The idea that someone can say with certainty that a team will launch in 2020 or 2021 is virtually impossible. Saying that a team is hoping to launch in 2020 or 2021 is fine. It's a goal not a guarantee. If a team is hoping to launch in 3 or 4 years time it means they're just beginning the process and there are far too many variables to be able to predict a launch date with certainty. Maybe one of the investors backs out or the local municipality stalls on a land-use agreement. Or maybe everything falls into place and you launch a year early. Or maybe the WHOLE LEAGUE is delayed a year. Or two. Of course I don't want that to happen, but it's conceivable. 

So despite what he's tweeted, I don't think Totera is trying to be literal. And I don't think anyone should take him as so. If he is and if they are, then that's foolish. 

Of course as I mentioned above, the proof will be in which teams announce when. I'm almost certain there will not be 14 teams in CanPL in 2019. Luckily for all of us, that is not too far off. 

26 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I admire your efforts Rob, but I think there was maybe one person in this thread in total who was asking everybody else to take Totera's tweets literally, for the period of 2018 to 2021 :) 

Good point. Perhaps I should have read through more judiciously. 

Archived