Is Anthony Totera be given us another CPL hint?

Here are the latest recent tweets from Anthony Totera. Could he be given us another hint as to what is expected to come real soon when dealing with the number of teams joining the CPL? You be the judge. I'm a strong believer that he has his inside contacts. At first I thought he was a HUGE joke, but not anymore. He's well connected.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes people get excited and say things prematurely. Not doubting him just being patient personally. As I've said, in retrospect i really like how they've rolled out the information so far.  Seems the people behind this know what they are doing and have a plan. Hell this info could come from them for all we know lol. I'm just not getting overly excited until I hear it from the league.

21 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Why would he be screwing around with an info like this?

Why does anyone pretend to have information that they don't have?  So people give them added attention and importance.

That being said, I don't think he's entirely full of it - he probably has some contacts who are passing him this info, but who knows how credible those contacts are.

This feels more like a wish list disguised as a hypetrain more than anything else.

23 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Why does anyone pretend to have information that they don't have?  So people give them added attention and importance.

That being said, I don't think he's entirely full of it - he probably has some contacts who are passing him this info, but who knows how credible those contacts are.

This feels more like a wish list disguised as a hypetrain more than anything else.

He's obviously got CSA contacts, but anyone truly up to date is hopefully smart enough to keep their mouth shut. He's probably got some buddies in the outer circle that get bits and pieces and probably add their own embellishments. 

I'm just fine to wait a couple months to see who of the ten EOIs get in

5 hours ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Why would he be screwing around with an info like this?

he doesn't technically say they are joining, that's just you reading between the lines. 

He just says the names of cities, could be potential teams for all we know and he is wishfully thinking(not that there's anything wrong with that ;) )

Actually, Totera is being dead serious. If you read the following latest tweets, he's not fucking around. I think he's up to something BIG. The problem here is that we are dealing with the same doubters who doubted Totera from the start. I now take this guy very serious.

7 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Actually, Totera is being dead serious. If you read the following tweets, he's not fucking around. I think he's up to something BIG. The problem here is that we are dealing with the same doubters who doubted Totera from the start. I now take this guy very serious.

I love Totera, but he has a history of filling in the blanks when he gets a tip-off. He said there was going to be a "big" CPL announcement every week for like 3 months earlier this year.

I'm somewhat connected in the BC soccer scene and if Totera is basing his reporting of the team being in Langley off of the same information I have, it's just an educated guess. It's entirely possible that he has better contacts than he did earlier this year, but as of right now I'd only take Totera's word as gospel on Ontario-related information.

The Langley thing is just rehashed information from this earlier thread:

and is probably arrived at using the logic of many of the posters in that thread that it's the only vaguely suitable stadium currently available in what could sensibly be defined as the Fraser Valley.

10 hours ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Actually, Totera is being dead serious. If you read the following latest tweets, he's not fucking around. I think he's up to something BIG. The problem here is that we are dealing with the same doubters who doubted Totera from the start. I now take this guy very serious...

The way this typically unfolds is that the overall push being made for a league is held up as proof that the doubters are wrong even though nobody has really doubted that was underway given top CSA people have been talking about it publicly off and on going as far back as when the moratorium was imposed around 2010. Then the rumours that so far have not come true that are pushed by sources like this such as a top European team being interested in Ontario, the elusive Toronto billionaire who may or may not be the Maccabi Tel Aviv guy, True North being the interested party in Winnipeg and the Katz group being the interested "original six" investor in Edmonton are conveniently forgotten about when the question of credibility arises.

When people were getting all excited on here about CFL owners launching something that would challenge and displace MLS, my impression was that what would ultimately happen if MLS B teams were not involved was a low budget league that is a bit of a step up from operations like the Victoria Highlanders and FC London in PDL that could draw into four figures sometimes with teams in smaller cities like Saskatoon, Langley, BC and Halifax. I suspect the next step on the path to that will be a further downsizing of some of the stated ambitions so that a combined university scale Canadian football athletics stadium like those in Langley, BC and at Wilfred Laurier University or a one-sided pop-up to keep Councillor Wayne Mason happy in Halifax will be seen as being OK to facilitate the launch of the league with crowd expectations also downsized in the smaller markets to about 3000 or so when break even budgets are put together. Paul Beirne has been setting the scene for that sort of thing with the markets of 200,000 and multiple teams in the major cities stuff and if the final outcome is something similar to the original CSL that actually stays afloat and helps develop the next Jason Devos or Geoff Aunger then there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of that.

There is absolutely everything wrong with that, because other than the Voyageurs no one else is going to care about a bush league. So places like Langley should not be allowed anywhere near this league.

I don't believe this league will ever be as big as MLS but it needs to be big enough to compete. Living in Mississauga, I'm a huge TFC fan, I wouldn't care to support another local team if the league didn't offer a competitive enough level for me to invest my time.

23 minutes ago, zen said:

There is absolutely everything wrong with that, because other than the Voyageurs no one else is going to give a shit about a bush league. So places like Langley should not be allowed anywhere near this league. 

I don't believe this league will ever be as big as MLS but it needs to be big enough to compete. Living in Mississauga, I'm a huge TFC fan, I wouldn't care to support another local team if the league didn't offer a competitive enough level for me to invest my time.

No one would take a league seriously if there's smaller cities in it. I mean, could you imagine if the Premier League allowed teams from places like Burnley, Hull, West Bromwich, Swansea, or Bournemouth? No one would give them the time of day!

The key is to not try to duplicate what is already in place and working well, but to complement it. People in cities like Halifax and Saskatoon should have pro soccer to watch as well and don't have an MLS team on their doorstep the way somebody in Mississauga does. I am most familiar with London, Ontario in this regard. Things have moved on considerably since the Lasers era in terms of soccer no longer being a first generation immigrant "east of Adelaide" thing, so I could see something drawing significantly better than FC London did in PDL with plenty of corporate support with the right league setup and stadium, but 6000-8000 seems a tad ambitious to say the least and London is more of a soccer hotbed than either Halifax or Saskatoon are with a larger metro area.

1 hour ago, zen said:

There is absolutely everything wrong with that, because other than the Voyageurs no one else is going to care about a bush league. So places like Langley should not be allowed anywhere near this league.

Then if it's too "bush" league for you because the cities they play in aren't up to your standard don't watch.  That's your choice no matter how ridiculous your reasons I (and I assume many others on here) feel.  We'll watch and support the CPL and you can watch MLS.  There's more than enough room for both.

I don't think Langley is a bad location as long as the team was called "Fraser Valley" I think playing at McLeod would be bush league. I've played there many times and it's basically a community park next to farmland, and an airport

8 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

wait so it's going to be 8 teams in 2018 and then going to 12 in 2019??...

We don't know.  He might know nothing, might be something.  Just more speculating on here for now :)

1 minute ago, Blackdude said:

The way I read it is that there will be a maximum of 8 teams in CPL in 2018. 

His tweets are bit confusing because the first has 7 teams....then second implies 8 teams for 2018 > 12 for 2019..

It's seems highly speculative..

Archived