Beer Prices at CPL Stadium

Juan

2 hours ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

And it comes full circle to realize the LCBO fucks Ontario so hard we can't see straight.

For a licensee the LCBO is a dream compared to the beer store. InBev and Molson-Coors set the minimum prices to what ever they feel like, which is why we pay more than anywhere in north America. Then they tack on extra charges for business owners because they don't want their sales reps salaries coming out of their own pockets. 

2 hours ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

And it comes full circle to realize the LCBO fucks Ontario so hard we can't see straight.

In a way. As restaurant owner and as a consumer I'm more frustrated with The Beer Store than the LCBO. It's ridiculous how the government continues to coddle big business monopolies at the expense of it's citizens. 

4 minutes ago, Alex D said:

For a licensee the LCBO is a dream compared to the beer store. InBev and Molson-Coors set the minimum prices to what ever they feel like, which is why we pay more than anywhere in north America. Then they tack on extra charges for business owners because they don't want their sales reps salaries coming out of their own pockets. 

Ha! The two restaurant guys make almost the same point at the same time!

I really liked what they do at Wolfpack games. You buy tokens (I think they were $8, maybe $9), and then they had a bunch of tents in the endzone from different (mostly local) breweries. What was really nice was that the beer garden stayed open for an hour after the game! Too many places stop serving part-way through...

It is what it is.  I'm still buying. End of story.

However...I do like the idea of a beer gardens set up.  Inside or outside the turnstile, whatever.  So long as it's on the stadium grounds somewhere.  Could become a marshaling point for the local support groups (formal or informal).  Hell, probably better if its outside the stadium proper because then you could invite the local breweries to participate without infringing on the in-stadium licensing.  

And what grande wrote.  Would be nice if it could be kept open for post match deliberations. No residential neighbourhoods next to IFG to bother so why not?

Oooh.  Good idea's keep coming.  Get a bunch of food trucks and chip wagons to service the beer gardens.  Could do a post match sponsor scheme where your ticket stub is worth a couple-three bucks off a purchase of beer or food (no need to rush home!).  Try to create a whole post match tailgate village.  Do it right and it could be great fun, hopefully catch on, and add a bunch to the match day experience. 

On 30/06/2017 at 1:11 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

Very true on all fronts, the reality though is that the big guys pay big bucks for pouring rights!

Here in Ottawa OSEG launched a "Craft Corner" last season and it consisted of all Mill St products which is now obviously part of the larger Labatt portfolio (who own the pouring rights at TD Place). They did have Beau's, a great local craft beer, available at some stands but it seems to have disappeared this season. 

It's funny how Labatt and Molson seem to be losing on all fronts to the point that we've had sales reps tell us that their mandate now is to "stop the bleeding" let alone grow because of the ever increasing craft market share yet they hold on to these stadium deals across the province. They must be shelling out crazy money!

Yeah, don't get me wrong. There will always be a market for generic lager, which these guys have really perfected to a T (at least in terms of bang for the buck to produce) as some people just don't want to open up their palette to anything more then Lager. I'm a big craft beer guy, but I completely understand the distaste for high hop beers, as that's how I feel about IPA, so I get not liking pale ale, or conversely brews that play the other end of the spectrum, like high malt.

The main issue is people are getting more and more on the buy local train, which these guys are anything but, and having a history of buying out and closing local breweries that compete with them. I for one like the idea that your region has it's own brewery that does it's own thing. It's another reason to travel, and be more sustainable. 

On 7/3/2017 at 2:02 PM, -Hammer- said:

The main issue is people are getting more and more on the buy local train, which these guys are anything but, and having a history of buying out and closing local breweries that compete with them. I for one like the idea that your region has it's own brewery that does it's own thing. It's another reason to travel, and be more sustainable. 

In Winnipeg (Manitoba probably) I'd wager there are as many people employed in brewing today as there were before the provincial barriers came down & mergers started clobbering the smaller brands.  How many industries today can say their employments levels are on par with numbers from the early '80s?  Not many.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a couple of the commercial brands (Guinness, Heineken) but yeah, I do find myself down at Barn Hammer more than I'd care to admit and speaking of Hop Heads am a great Half Pints fan.

I return you to your regularly scheduled topic.    

Not to turn this thread towards a series of posts for our dislike of Ontario's beer policies, but I was on Vancouver Island (sorry Matty, forgot to tell you ?) during the long weekend, and it came as a shock that every bar I went to only supported or mostly supported local craft beers on tap; Kitchen in down town Victoria, Brown's Social House and Bin 4 Burger in Langford, White Spot and  Spinnakers at the Airport and17 Mile House Pub in Sooke which is a pretty good sample size....Unless @ted can say differently.  Anyhow, I was in heaven. I wish more bars in Brampton were like that instead of being the opposite, 6 to 12 big corporate brands and one (if that) token craft beer on tap. ??

Archived