Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Juan

Beer Prices at CPL Stadium

Recommended Posts

A very important topic that hasn't been touched yet is the potential pricing of beer, or maybe I missed it in all the madness of these forum.

What's a fair price point for beer? I know there is a faction that says "who needs beer to enjoy sports?" and while I support your right to that view, I'm of the opinion that I enjoy catching a buzz while watching sporting events with my friends.

I've been to many games at BMO field and it always pissed me off having to pay $15 for a Large watered down draught beer or $11 for tall can of Bud.

Last October I was in London and went to watch WC2018 qualifier between ENG vs MAL at Wembley (amazing experience) and the drinks were £5.00 (so about $9 with exchange) but even so for a local that's an affordable price. Only ****** part was that no booze allowed in seating area because the English are known to throw their cups of beer onto the pitch so you have to chug them back.

Taking into consideration the need to turn a profit, I think a fair price point for regular Molson Canadian or Budweiser is about $6-7 for tall cans or $9-10 for 30oz large beverage. Add an extra buck for premium beers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should be priced comparably to bars in the area so with a little fun local research (some CPA/financial analyst type that's doing the club's budgeting should bar hop in the area) it should be easy to come to.

Edited by Macksam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ti-Cats are typically a buck or two behind BMO most of the time, now that they opened the Craft garden; which I feel is a bit of a misnomer, as only one actual craft brewer (Bench Brewing) is present and the rest being Molson craft brands like Creemore springs or Granville Island, the price of beer there is a little bit higher.

The Bulldogs are a bit different. Usually they have premium cans for 10.50 and large or small draft for 9 and 6, so still in the same ballpark. However, they have a habit on Friday night games, offering small draft for $3 before puck drop, which is the route I'd like to see CPL teams take. Have a beer garden/staging area with cheap beer to get people there early and then let the regular concession deal with the rest.

Otherwise, people will just go to the bar before the game, you may as well make something.

Edited by -Hammer-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the Mooseheads games charge about $6 for a can (375 mL). Personally, I'm not going to get ripped going to these games because I'll likely have my kids so I think $7-$9 for a pint seems reasonable. That's a slight increase in what you'll pay at a typical bar in Halifax, but that's what you'd expect for any sporting event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, admin said:

I doubt existing venues will be able to change their prices.

This plus I'm sure if there is a general beer sponsor I'm sure prices will be stupid crazy like $10 for a tallboy of Canadian and $12 for Creemore/Mill Street.

Sadly these days.....

40 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Calgary Foothills currently charges $6.50 per tall boy of Village Brewery at their games. I think that is a good price point. Last year, they were $5. How could I afford not to buy at that price?

....are over :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, admin said:

I doubt existing venues will be able to change their prices.

I'm pretty sure you are right not that one, it's very rare that an event comes into a stadium and shakes up the pricing. In fact, the only time I recall that ever happening was the AHL Outdoor game between the Bulldogs and the Marlies a while back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Juan said:

A very important topic that hasn't been touched yet is the potential pricing of beer, or maybe I missed it in all the madness of these forum.

What's a fair price point for beer? I know there is a faction that says "who needs beer to enjoy sports?" and while I support your right to that view, I'm of the opinion that I enjoy catching a buzz while watching sporting events with my friends.

I've been to many games at BMO field and it always pissed me off having to pay $15 for a Large watered down draught beer or $11 for tall can of Bud.

Last October I was in London and went to watch WC2018 qualifier between ENG vs MAL at Wembley (amazing experience) and the drinks were £5.00 (so about $9 with exchange) but even so for a local that's an affordable price. Only ****** part was that no booze allowed in seating area because the English are known to throw their cups of beer onto the pitch so you have to chug them back.

Taking into consideration the need to turn a profit, I think a fair price point for regular Molson Canadian or Budweiser is about $6-7 for tall cans or $9-10 for 30oz large beverage. Add an extra buck for premium beers.

 

$6-7 for a tall boy of a big production beer is going to be tough. Standard pricing model for a licensee is 3-3.5 times cost of goods and a Bud/Canadian is in the $2.15 range for a tall can. I have no problem paying a premium for beer at stadiums as they have different cost structures than a regular licensee. Don't forget too that licensees don't pay retail price, in most cases it's higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -Hammer- said:

The Ti-Cats are typically a buck or two behind BMO most of the time, now that they opened the Craft garden; which I feel is a bit of a misnomer, as only one actual craft brewer (Bench Brewing) is present and the rest being Molson craft brands like Creemore springs or Granville Island, the price of beer there is a little bit higher.

The Bulldogs are a bit different. Usually they have premium cans for 10.50 and large or small draft for 9 and 6, so still in the same ballpark. However, they have a habit on Friday night games, offering small draft for $3 before puck drop, which is the route I'd like to see CPL teams take. Have a beer garden/staging area with cheap beer to get people there early and then let the regular concession deal with the rest.

Otherwise, people will just go to the bar before the game, you may as well make something.

Even being owned by Molson I believe Creemore and Granville are still craft brewers. I know for sure Creemore is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

$6-7 for a tall boy of a big production beer is going to be tough. Standard pricing model for a licensee is 3-3.5 times cost of goods and a Bud/Canadian is in the $2.15 range for a tall can. I have no problem paying a premium for beer at stadiums as they have different cost structures than a regular licensee. Don't forget too that licensees don't pay retail price, in most cases it's higher.

As a former bar owner in Ontario I can tell you that we pay much more. I didn't sell tall cans so I can't give an exact break down but as an example, a case of Labatt Blue bottles was 47.50!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Alex D said:

As a former bar owner in Ontario I can tell you that we pay much more. I didn't sell tall cans so I can't give an exact break down but as an example, a case of Labatt Blue bottles was 47.50!

I know, I've owned and operated a pub for the last 15 years! People don't realize there's two sets of prices in our province!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Even being owned by Molson I believe Creemore and Granville are still craft brewers. I know for sure Creemore is. 

It depends on your definition of Craft. Some define it solely on process, which you are likely right.

- Non-Pastuerised

- Only Natural Raw Ingredients without chemicals or preservatives

- No use of adjucts such as Corn or Rice (unless the style explictly calls for it)

- Only used Sugar derived from the grains in the brewing process (although I believe Milk Stout is an exception, as Lactose is required for Milk Stout)

- Brewed in single batches and are never blended, diluted or artificially carbonated.


That said, generally often a consideration of beer to be considered a craft offering is that the brewery is independent, and isn't significantly controlled by another company and doesn't produce more then 400,000 hectolitres, which isn't the case for Creemore. I also feel their beer has gone downhill since the buy. The second their Kellerbier left the orange can, it turned tame, and the Pilsner is unrecognizable, which if probably why they re-branded it as Lot 9 now.

http://www.ontariocraftbrewers.com/content.php?nextpage=brewphilosophy

Don't get me wrong, they are still better then most Macro Lager, but there are many more choice far closer to Hamilton I'd rather see in Hamilton's stadium. Collective Arts Prophets and Nomads, Wellington Arkell Best Bitter, Shawn & Ed Wheat and THB Friday Night Pilsner to name a few.

Edited by -Hammer-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

It depends on your definition of Craft. Some define it solely on process, which you are likely right.

- Non-Pastuerised

- Only Natural Raw Ingredients without chemicals or preservatives

- No use of adjucts such as Corn or Rice (unless the style explictly calls for it)

- Only used Sugar derived from the grains in the brewing process

- Brewed in single batches and are never blended, diluted or artificially carbonated.


That said, generally often a consideration of beer to be considered a craft offering is that the brewery is independent, and isn't significantly controlled by another company and doesn't produce more then 400,000 hectolitres, which isn't the case for Creemore. I also feel their beer has gone downhill since the buy. The second their Kellerbier left the orange can, it turned tame, and the Pilsner is unrecognizable, which if probably why they re-branded it as Lot 9 now.

http://www.ontariocraftbrewers.com/content.php?nextpage=brewphilosophy

Don't get me wrong, they are still better then most Macro Lager, but there are many more choice far closer to Hamilton I'd rather see in Hamilton's stadium. Collective Arts Prophets and Nomads, Wellington Arkell Best Bitter, Shawn & Ed Wheat and THB Friday Night Pilsner to name a few.

Very true on all fronts, the reality though is that the big guys pay big bucks for pouring rights!

Here in Ottawa OSEG launched a "Craft Corner" last season and it consisted of all Mill St products which is now obviously part of the larger Labatt portfolio (who own the pouring rights at TD Place). They did have Beau's, a great local craft beer, available at some stands but it seems to have disappeared this season. 

It's funny how Labatt and Molson seem to be losing on all fronts to the point that we've had sales reps tell us that their mandate now is to "stop the bleeding" let alone grow because of the ever increasing craft market share yet they hold on to these stadium deals across the province. They must be shelling out crazy money!

Edited by BuzzAndSting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Very true on all fronts, the reality though is that the big guys pay big bucks for pouring rights!

Here in Ottawa OSEG launched a "Craft Corner" last season and it consisted of all Mill St products which is now obviously part of the larger Labatt portfolio (who own the pouring rights at TD Place). They did have Beau's, a great local craft beer, available at some stands but it seems to have disappeared this season. 

Thanks, and sure they do. However, team owners who preach about the need to do everything to ensure a top of the line game day experience, need to understand that a lot of people, especially younger millennials don't care for corporate macro beer. So making sure that you have a selection of local, independent offerings is part of that.

Besides, it's not like the big beer boys aren't pouring at every other concession in the stadium.

Edited by -Hammer-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Macksam said:

 (some CPA/financial analyst type that's doing the club's budgeting should bar hop in the area)

This sounds right up my alley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea about how these things work but in KW I'd like to see Waterloo brewery set up there own stall, similar to how they have their own store. It would be a good local sponsor and they could make some good money. Not sure how my local brethren feel about their beer but I think it's pretty solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like i'd mentioned a few months back,prices for beer, food, etc. should be as low as possible if the CPL is going to attract families. Also local brewers would be ideal in my opinion. Nothing worst than paying $12 for a Bud light.

Edited by MtlMario

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would spend entirely unreasonable amounts on craft beer at games, and the more selection the more I'd spend... gotta have one of each,  you know. 

Anyone know what the food is in the "craft corner" at THF? I didn't make it over there during the rugby game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I don't know how realistic it is, but it would be amazing if you could get a beer(even if it's **** beer) for less than 5$.   Just hate when they have it like 5.25 or something and you have to constantly break change etc.

but at that price point it might be hard to make money as well.

5$ 30 mins before the game, 7-8$ after that. I would be very happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

5$ 30 mins before the game, 7-8$ after that. I would be very happy.

I feel like it's just a matter of what beer you get.  Like if they sell canadian, I'm sure it's possible to make money selling it for 5$ a can, and then have imports like 7 or so for those when you're feeling something crafty.  Folks can get drunk on the cheap if they want and some can be classy and drink whatever the local hip microbrew is at the time/area 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I feel like it's just a matter of what beer you get.  Like if they sell canadian, I'm sure it's possible to make money selling it for 5$ a can, and then have imports like 7 or so for those when you're feeling something crafty.  Folks can get drunk on the cheap if they want and some can be classy and drink whatever the local hip microbrew is at the time/area 

You can"t make money at $5 per can in Ontario. That's $4.42 to the licensee, so they be running a 50% cost of goods, about 20% more than what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...