Talent GAP Div 1 vs DIV 2

Was watching the Miami vs Atlanta match the other night. With both Miami and Atlanta making it to the quarter finals in the US cup competition it left me wondering how big is the actual gap between division one and division 2 leagues. From what I have seen and people have been saying it is not unreasonable to think the better teams in NASL/USL could beat the lower tier teams in MLS on any given night. 

Was just thinking of this in term of CPL. It may not be such a stretch after all to 10 years out see the top CPL clubs be competitive with the mid to lower tier teams in MLS. In fact if some of the bigger CPL clubs can manage to draw up to 10,000 a game there should be no reason they couldnt be competitive with some MLS clubs.

If it had been a single leg format the Ottawa Fury would have knocked out TFC this year in our competition. The question is always whether the D1 team is playing their strongest lineup or is using the game to give fringe players playing time. The D2 team is usually more motivated about the game and playing all out with their best available starting eleven, so Bill Manning was almost certainly right when he predicted that Canadian MLS teams would soon be suffering shock defeats if CPL gets off the ground.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Was watching the Miami vs Atlanta match the other night. With both Miami and Atlanta making it to the quarter finals in the US cup competition it left me wondering how big is the actual gap between division one and division 2 leagues. From what I have seen and people have been saying it is not unreasonable to think the better teams in NASL/USL could beat the lower tier teams in MLS on any given night. 

Was just thinking of this in term of CPL. It may not be such a stretch after all to 10 years out see the top CPL clubs be competitive with the mid to lower tier teams in MLS. In fact if some of the bigger CPL clubs can manage to draw up to 10,000 a game there should be no reason they couldnt be competitive with some MLS clubs.

I'd just temper this with a couple things

1) FC Cincinnati way out spends the rest of the league. There was an article earlier this year that put their player salary spending around 2.5 million, which would blow the rest of the league out of the water with <20k salaries. 

I don't know Miami's exact spending, but I know there have been rumours that they spend in the ballpark of a low end MLS team, and given their transfer spending alone I don't think that's unrealistic. 

With the *rumoured* CPL salary cap of 1.5M, I would make comparisons to Cincinnati or Miami yet. I think they are really the exceptions that prove the rule for D1 and D2

2) Remember that even if CPL grows rapidly over 10 years, MLS will too, so I wouldn't count on time to help narrow the gap

That's not to say I don't think CPL clubs can be competitive with MLS clubs in the V-Cup. Especially in a single-knockout and the numbers advantage of CPL, I think it will be an annual occurrence to see one or two MLS clubs knocked out by CPL clubs (and even the odd V-Cup won by a CPL team), just saying that Miami/Cincinnati are setting the bar high

Competitive is all I truly care about. I don't need to see CPL surpass MLS to be happy, competitive makes me happy.  If we can compete like Costa Rica and MLS does in CCL and  not get blown away by Mexico, I'm happy

Not sure people realise that while the MLS has been growing rapidly... when you take away designated player salaries the MLS salary cap is still only $3.845 million this year...which is what is spread over the majority of the roster.

10 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Not sure people realise that while the MLS has been growing rapidly... when you take away designated player salaries the MLS salary cap is still only $3.845 million this year...which is what is spread over the majority of the roster.

People should be reminded of that more often...

3 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

If CanPL has a salary cap of $1.5 million CAD it will still be relatively competitive with MLS...especially for players on the lower end. 

Exactly. Nobody will ever convince me that spending 80% of your payroll on 3 players is a smart way to build a team...espacially When some of those 3 underperform or are overpaid.

A $1.5M to potential over $3M in 10 years spread across the board is still a smarter way to build a team. 

You have more money to attract much better talents

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Throw in GAM and TAM, GA/HG and most MLS teams spend approx 5 mil per roster. And salary 'cap' only applies to 20 players.

There's also 2 mil ish per year each team spends on youth academies

11 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Throw in GAM and TAM, GA/HG and most MLS teams spend approx 5 mil per roster. And salary 'cap' only applies to 20 players.

There's also 2 mil ish per year each team spends on youth academies

20 players is still a lot of the roster...designated players skew the average salary a lot..

44 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Throw in exchange and a 1.5 CAD budget is 1.16 US.

Would love to know how much a team like the SF Deltas pays out in player wages. I've heard Miami is closer to 2-3 Mil but thats just people speculating.

1.16 vs 2-4 million isn't that much...when you compare what some of the payroll discrepancies between European leagues/clubs

CFL currently has a salary cap of $3,972,692 USD...

CanPL will never be as big as MLS or Liga MX...but it'll probably beat out a lot of the smaller and/or developing countries almost automatically in terms of money involved.

18 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Throw in exchange and a 1.5 CAD budget is 1.16 US.

Would love to know how much a team like the SF Deltas pays out in player wages. I've heard Miami is closer to 2-3 Mil but thats just people speculating.

Matt Doyle has said that Miami FC spends nearly double as much on wages as Cincinnati and SacRepublic. FCC and SacRep are almost certainly in the $750k to $1.25mil range. So I think $2mil is a good estimation for Miami. 

I'm sure if you wanted you could piece together Miami's wage bill, as many of their players were singed from teams that have reported player salaries.

That makes sense. I mention SF Deltas simply because they're a high calibre NASL team without (likely) having the wage bill of Miami. If a CPL team could play at that level in the first year I'd be pleasantly surprised.

11 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Matt Doyle has said that Miami FC spends nearly double as much on wages as Cincinnati and SacRepublic. FCC and SacRep are almost certainly in the $750k to $1.25mil range. So I think $2mil is a good estimation for Miami. 

I'm sure if you wanted you could piece together Miami's wage bill, as many of their players were singed from teams that have reported player salaries.

Cincinnati are rumoured to be spending over 2 million a year and Miami is comparable to a "high end non dp MLS roster" so that's in the 4 million range, which makes sense as it's double Cincy. 

5 hours ago, Alex D said:

Cincinnati are rumoured to be spending over 2 million a year and Miami is comparable to a "high end non dp MLS roster" so that's in the 4 million range, which makes sense as it's double Cincy. 

I've heard that Miami FC's salary would be in line with MLS teams if you count the transfer fees under the salary cap as MLS does (700k for Poku, 750k for Ryan, 800k for Rennella, etc), but aren't close in terms of pure wages.

Some of Miami's reported wages were exaggerated. The 500k a year that was originally reported Poku was getting a year was called 300k-350k by Poku a few weeks later. It has since been called a 500k deal by Silva, which reads to me that Poku is probably making 500k over his 3 year contract. Still a lot of money, but as he's almost certainly Miami's highest paid player, I doubt they are higher than $3mil.

• 3 weeks later...

The key will be not only what the Actual salary Cap will be but also the "floor", and more importantly I really hope each clubs spends same amount of money per year on their Academies as on their Roster.

Salary windows should be around 1.2-1.5millions & SAME for Academies

Academies same, give it until year 3-5 and you will see the academy products coming out.

Archived