Preston Popp

Dominic94

Heard a radio interview with Popp yesterday on the Fan.  When McCown said they were talking to Popp on the Argos, I changed back to TSN 1050, but it was a commercial, so I changed it back.  Surprised to hear Popp and McCown talk about his son at TFC Academy for quite a while.  Said his son was second in scoring in the USSDA last year and many NCAA schools area after him.  Said when he heard his dad was going to Toronto, he was ecstatic.   Real keen to play for TFC and MLS.  Jim said he arranged a tryout for his son with the Impact while they were in Montreal, but the Impact weren't interested. 

1 hour ago, Kent said:

For anyone curious, it looks like his USSDA team was Charlotte Soccer Academy.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/preston-popp/pid-109805

For those who don't know TDS's star system, 2 stars is usually given players who are college soccer prospects. While few 2 stars prospects become good pros there are exceptions. Tommy McNamara was originally a 1 star player, Daniel Johnson and Jon Lewis were early first round MLS draft picks last year off of 2 star rankings.

26 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

For those who don't know TDS's star system, 2 stars is usually given players who are college soccer prospects. While few 2 stars prospects become good pros there are exceptions. Tommy McNamara was originally a 1 star player, Daniel Johnson and Jon Lewis were early first round MLS draft picks last year off of 2 star rankings.

How old is his rating though ? It seems like he improved a lot from one year to another.

23 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

How old is his rating though ? It seems like he improved a lot from one year to another.

TDS updates every few months, though they stop updating players they think are known quantities. According to this Popp committed to Charlotte University a few months ago, which is a mid-tier DI soccer team. Will Parchman (the USSDA soccer czar) listed him as one of the 15 best player in the USSDA that wasn't in a MLS or MLS-affiliated team pipeline, but also said that Popp probably doesn't have the athletic ability to compete at the highest levels.

From the little tape I've been able to find of him, I hope he'll transition into a CAM role. He looks a decent passer and is great with the ball at his feet, but at 5'7" with sub-par pace it's doubtful he can play striker at a pro level. 

Edited by harrycoyster

• 4 years later...
5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I think they see which way the wind is blowing.  This new league will have MLS, their sponsors, hype machine and money behind it.  

Yup.

They see trying to destroy USL now.

Which is ironic as they used USL to help destroy NASL

51 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I think they see which way the wind is blowing.  This new league will have MLS, their sponsors, hype machine and money behind it.  

Yep not to mention the eyes on the team will also see Vardy owns part of the club.