Mississauga CPL Supporters Group Thread

42 minutes ago, Sauga City Collective said:

The top kids use the team as a stepping stone to get to somewhere else.

As much as the CPL is not strictly intended as a development league, I guarantee you that the "top kids" will absolutely use the CPL as a stepping stone if an opportunity from MLS or overseas presents itself.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

As much as the CPL is not strictly intended as a development league, I guarantee you that the "top kids" will absolutely use the CPL as a stepping stone if an opportunity from MLS or overseas presents itself.

Sure. I don't disagree with that. But the fact that it wont be developmental in name might go a long way. We wont know until we try, right?

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The first time there was an attempt at a Canadian national pro league back in 1983 there was Mississauga Croatia, but I think they played their games in Etobicoke at Centennial Stadium.

Things have changed significantly since then...in both the city and the general attitude towards soccer.

Years ago when TO Croatia was stronger Hazel had offered to build a stadium if they moved to Mississauga and changed their name . I can't remember the location definitely, but the last time I went by there the land was still vacant. It was south of 401 and north of Eglinton probably between hwy 10 and Mississauga Rd.

9 hours ago, to70 said:

Years ago when TO Croatia was stronger Hazel had offered to build a stadium if they moved to Mississauga and changed their name . I can't remember the location definitely, but the last time I went by there the land was still vacant. It was south of 401 and north of Eglinton probably between hwy 10 and Mississauga Rd.

That's a large stretch that includes both Mcglauchlan and Mavis.

Hello Everyone,

Mississauga SG has just officially launched!

Visit the website at www.saugacityrising.ca (best experienced on desktop)

Sign up under the Contact Us tab to receive news and the latest information about meet-ups and more.

Follow on Twitter: @SaugaSG     Tweet using #SaugaCityRising

Join the group on FB: Mississauga Supporters Group - Canadian Premier League

Thanks,

Edited by CanadaLFC

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-06-22 at 11:41 PM, kodiakTFC said:

Streetsville would be certainly be interesting if it wasn't it being a logistical nightmare. I dare you to drive through Streetsville during a busy hour. A 7-8pm kick off during the week would be just awful.

Honestly traffic is terrible everywhere in Sauga. 

Lots of positive responses thus far for Mississauga SG.

1) Met with Paul Beirne

2) Very engaged on social media

3) Completed two meetups and looking to make L1 Ontario games in Mississauga a regular thing

4) Merch store to open soon

The future is bright! 

Edited by CanadaLFC

• 1 month later...

I have stood with the V's for 20+ games and I've never had an issue with fellow Canadian fans until Saturday night. As my wife and I went to leave we were trying to say by to one of the capos when some one in a Sauga City scarf told my wife to "get the fuck out of the way" because they were trying to take a picture. Best of luck with your supporters group but if that's how treat fellow fans in a supporters section I don't think you'll be very successful. 

Edited by BuzzAndSting

On 2017-09-04 at 0:40 AM, BuzzAndSting said:

I have stood with the V's for 20+ games and I've never had an issue with fellow Canadian fans until Saturday night. As my wife and I went to leave we were trying to say by to one of the capos when some one in a Sauga City scarf told my wife to "get the fuck out of the way" because they were trying to take a picture. Best of luck with your supporters group but if that's how treat fellow fans in a supporters section I don't think you'll be very successful. 

I'd like to sincerely apologize to both your wife and you for this incident having ever occurred. Alcohol consumption isn't an excuse and I can assure you that it is the first and will most certainly be the last time anything like this happens. Again, I'm terribly sorry. We hope there are no hard feelings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't mean to be a bummer here but what if you guys don't get awarded a team? After all it's not impossible, there is competition for the first 8 teams and would be right beside Toronto

Victoria, ^Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon/Regina, *Winnipeg, *Hamilton, ^Ottawa, Quebec City, Moncton and Halifax are all potential options

* = Original 2 

^ = Existing teams 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 3:16 PM, Blackjack15 said:

Don't mean to be a bummer here but what if you guys don't get awarded a team? After all it's not impossible, there is competition for the first 8 teams and would be right beside Toronto

Victoria, ^Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon/Regina, *Winnipeg, *Hamilton, ^Ottawa, Quebec City, Moncton and Halifax are all potential options

* = Original 2 

^ = Existing teams 

That's a fair question.

If we aren't awarded a team, it would be a pretty huge missed opportunity...for the city, its people, and an investor.

There's definitely competition, but we're looking at this as more of a marathon as opposed to a sprint. If we don't get in for the first or even second round of expansion, that doesn't mean it'll never happen. I mean, we can't be naive here...there's plenty of things that need to be built and put in place in order for this to become a reality. But we know there's an appetite, and we know people see what Sauga City Collective are up to and are intrigued by it and the prospect of pro-soccer in Mississauga. In my opinion, it's only a matter of time. I'd prefer sooner rather than later, but that's unfortunately not in my control. 

If only money grew on trees lol

Edited by RobD

• 8 months later...

Wow, Pat Saito is my councilor and this might be the first thing she did that I like.

For Crombie I have liked her from the beginning. She was the only mayoral candidate to show up at my GO station and she deliberately came over to talk to me.