Jump to content

Ottawa CPL


Recommended Posts

Seems like Ottawa Fury will not be joining at launch at least according to Paul Beirne's comments on a recent podcast. He said words to the effect that they aren't in line to join CPL.Maybe the supporters group for the club can help change the ownerships mind over time though.

 

Would be a big positive for the CPL if they can get Ottawa Fury and FC Edmonton for the 2018 soft launch (or more likely the full launch in 2019). The Fury's attendance is also down about 1000 per game in USL this year compared to they're average last year in NASL so if CPL does well in its first short season in 2018 then they may be enticed to join if they think they can draw similar or higher crowds there. I think the unknown factor of how things will play out in CPL will keep them and Edmonton from joining initially.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the question of whether or not they will, will be dictated by the fans. If Ottawa supporters will support their continued presence in USL, there is less incentive to jump to CPL.  But if supporters mobilize to push the owners towards CPL, it will probably happen.  Ultimately, that is why I think the fans need to figure out if this is a 'hill to die on' for them.  Personally, if I was a Fury supporter, I would be actively encouraging the owners to move to CPL when it launches.  I would exert as much pressure as I could as a consumer of their product (I know some hate that terminology, but it fits from an economic perspective).  And I would be encouraging others to do so. 

The risk is that the owners abandon the project of building pro footy in Ottawa rather than taking on a new challenge, but I think the potential upside of helping to found a new league (with a high ceiling) is appealing enough to warrant the risk/effort.  But at the end of the day, the support - both emotional and financial - needs to be there on the 'consumer' side to support the owners in that sort of venture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Long-time Bytown Boy here, I can tell you that both the Bytown Boys and Stony Monday Riot peeps are putting both soft and hard pressure on the management whenever and wherever possible about a jump into CPL for the league launch. The pros and cons have become more obvious now, the team management now has years of experience in PDL, NASL and USL to know what they are up against, they're definitely more hardened than the guys getting into soccer for the first time with CPL, for sure. And they obviously have to play their cards close to their chest.

But for us fans and supporters, we're talking to Fury management on social media, in person, the #CanPL tifo that's made its way on TV at the VCup match and on twitter, it's a multi-pronged approach to raise awareness of the fact that Ottawa-Gatineau supporters would love to see the Fury be there at CPL launch as much as possible, because we do believe the pros strongly outweigh the cons.

Edited by ironcub14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought I heard somewhere that they signed a 3 year deal with the USL? If thats the case they wouldnt be eligible until 2020. As much as a I want the Fury in the CPL like everyone else, If I was an owner I wouldnt want to burn the USL bridge before making the jump to a league with lots of question marks around it. I think CPL has to prove itself at least in year 1 before Fury take that risk

Edited by Argentina_111
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a bit hazy on the deal with USL, though the 3 years does sound familiar.

One quick point though, sort of a chicken or the egg question. I think that having Ottawa and Edmonton in CPL in year 1 will be a huge factor for whether CPL becomes a wide success or not. I don't like the concept that some in the team management or some fans have that CPL has to prove itself to Ottawa or Edmonton. The two teams' presence in CPL will be a massive boost to the legitimacy and potential success for CPL.

And I'm a huge proponent of having CPL start with 8 or 10 teams rather than 6. It's going to get pretty repetitive for a team to play the same 5 other teams over a year, for the league as a whole. Having Ottawa and Edmonton will instantly add two teams with massive know-how both on and off the pitch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

I'm a bit hazy on the deal with USL, though the 3 years does sound familiar.

One quick point though, sort of a chicken or the egg question. I think that having Ottawa and Edmonton in CPL in year 1 will be a huge factor for whether CPL becomes a wide success or not. I don't like the concept that some in the team management or some fans have that CPL has to prove itself to Ottawa or Edmonton. The two teams' presence in CPL will be a massive boost to the legitimacy and potential success for CPL.

And I'm a huge proponent of having CPL start with 8 or 10 teams rather than 6. It's going to get pretty repetitive for a team to play the same 5 other teams over a year, for the league as a whole. Having Ottawa and Edmonton will instantly add two teams with massive know-how both on and off the pitch.

I agree, the issue though is the CPL is likely going to cost more to run then a USL or NASL side from what we've been told, which are concerns Ottawa and Edmonton have. Ottawa jumped ship off the NASL due to cost and the sinking ship appearance and Edmonton has been losing money for ages.

That said, if you get teams in Calgary and Saskatoon, and Quebec City and other Ontario teams, that could do quite a bit, both in terms on easier marketing and travel costs. I'm pretty sure most Canadians want to see the two jump ship into a Canadian league, but you can't dismiss the financial concerns, they really are the biggest obstacle for this league's success.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

I agree, the issue though is the CPL is likely going to cost more to run then a USL or NASL side from what we've been told, which are concerns Ottawa and Edmonton have. Ottawa jumped ship off the NASL due to cost and the sinking ship appearance and Edmonton has been losing money for ages.

That said, if you get teams in Calgary and Saskatoon, and Quebec City and other Ontario teams, that could do quite a bit, both in terms on easier marketing and travel costs. I'm pretty sure most Canadians want to see the two jump ship into a Canadian league, but you can't dismiss the financial concerns, they really are the biggest obstacle for this league's success.

Totally hear you. At the crux of it, Ottawa and Edmonton are likely grappling with its attendance, revenue and cost projections if they were to jump to CPL. And those things are not easy to forecast or project at all, particularly when there is such little precedents.

I know a few people pointed on twitter yesterday to the decrease of about 1,000 in average attendance for the Fury in their 1st year in USL insofar their season currently, although that comparison is only going to be fully comparable at the end of the year, and obviously takes into account their on-field performances and the general mood around the manager as well.

I don't think any of us really knows what the attendance or revenue boost will look like exactly if Ottawa jumped from USL to CPL, but I don't doubt that the potential is there, I do think that its entry into CPL will bring out or revitalize some extra fans, and that it will be observed in average attendance.

But whether the extra revenue, if it's even there, will outweigh the extra costs, short or long-term, is the million-dollar question for Ottawa and Edmonton. And the billion-dollar question for CPL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To put it more bluntly, we know Ottawa and Edmonton are losing money. Will the extra investment that'll come from joining CPL turn around their fortunes due to some kind of a sustainable long-term success for CPL as a whole? Or will it just dig them further into the hole? What does the scenario look like in the short-term vs. the long-term? Gotta invest to make money? Are there owners rich enough out there to eat some more money for the benefit of soccer in Canada?

Edited by ironcub14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

To put it more bluntly, we know Ottawa and Edmonton are losing money. Will the extra investment that'll come from joining CPL turn around their fortunes due to some kind of a sustainable long-term success for CPL as a whole? Or will it just dig them further into the hole? What does the scenario look like in the short-term vs. the long-term? Gotta invest to make money? Are there owners rich enough out there to eat some more money for the benefit of soccer in Canada?

I would reframe a bit.  If/when CPL is up and running, and Canadian footy fans are supporting local teams playing known Canadian rivals, what is the realistic prospect of Fury fans staying truly engaged in a team playing shitty American teams in the US 3rd tier?  Or even in NASL?  Assuming CPL gets some traction and stays afloat (not a given, but obviously what we are all banking on) I find it hard to see how people in Ottawa will maintain any kind of real interest in playing Orlando City B, or the Pittsburgh Riverhounds.  Recognizing the higher cost of playing in CPL, I still think the prospect of eventual profit (driven by fan interest) is higher if the Fury can play the Hamilton Smog, the Quebec City Nationals, or the Halifax Philanderers.

Maybe the only two realistic options for Ottawa and Edmonton are status quo or fold, but if that is true I don't see how they can continue to generate fan interest by playing US teams that very few people actually give a shit about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I re-read that, it probably came across snarkier than intended.  Totally not trying to crap on the Fury's efforts - I have a great deal of respect for the fact that they (and Edmonton) are actively playing pro footy in Canada even though it is an uphill fight.  I just don't see the long term viability of continuing to slog away in USL (or NASL) when fans will be enviously looking over their shoulder at teams from their peer cities lighting up the Winnipeg Skeeters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would reframe a bit.  If/when CPL is up and running, and Canadian footy fans are supporting local teams playing known Canadian rivals, what is the realistic prospect of Fury fans staying truly engaged in a team playing shitty American teams in the US 3rd tier?  Or even in NASL?  Assuming CPL gets some traction and stays afloat (not a given, but obviously what we are all banking on) I find it hard to see how people in Ottawa will maintain any kind of real interest in playing Orlando City B, or the Pittsburgh Riverhounds.  Recognizing the higher cost of playing in CPL, I still think the prospect of eventual profit (driven by fan interest) is higher if the Fury can play the Hamilton Smog, the Quebec City Nationals, or the Halifax Philanderers.

Maybe the only two realistic options for Ottawa and Edmonton are status quo or fold, but if that is true I don't see how they can continue to generate fan interest by playing US teams that very few people actually give a shit about.

The prospect of eventual profit, or at least higher revenues, is definitely there with playing Canadian teams. The more important question is, will the supposed increase in revenues be enough to offset the increase in costs that will near certainly be there?

We and the Fury management can debate that question all we want, we can even enter it into some financial and econometric projection models, but it really is nearly impossible to accurately forecast. We won't know until we get there, that's for sure. And that's far easier for us to wish upon the Fury than it is for the Fury to actually take the plunge.

I do remember that a lot of Fury fans including myself were really excited back in 2013 about an Ottawa soccer team facing teams like the New York Cosmos and Minnesota United in major American cities. It felt right for a lot of people for Ottawa to be playing vs major American cities, especially when the vast majority of sports fans in Ottawa are used to NHL competition from major American and Canadian cities.

It definitely did feel more glamorous being in NASL than it did in USL, no doubt. With the move to USL though, that enthusiasm about playing vs American teams has likely shrunk drastically. I think, if we were to do a poll of every single fan at a regular Fury game today, I would guess maybe 80% would say they would prefer to play vs Canadian teams, and maybe 20% would say they would prefer to play vs American teams. The revival of Ottawa CFL with the RedBlacks and playing Canadian competition would no doubt have helped tilt these numbers as well.

I do think based on all that above that the increase in revenues will be enough to offset the increase in costs, and that the Fury should take the plunge, even if just speaking from a pure financial point of view. In terms of Canadian soccer, it will mean everything.

Edited by ironcub14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see the Fury or FCE joining in 2018. The CPL is not starting until August, which will already be over halfway through the NASL and USL seasons. I expect they will observe the short season that year and see about joining the league in 2019.  

There was a fair turnout for the Fury-TFCII match at the start of the season and over 7000 came out for the Fury-TFC CC match, even though the Sens were fighting for the playoff lives at the same time in the West end of the city. Now, the Montreal Impact Friendly will probably give us a better indication if the interest is there in watching Canadian teams. I could see the Fury fans attending in large numbers to watch games against Winnipeg, Calgary, Hamilton, Halifax and Quebec City. But against Moncton, Kitchener, and Kelowna? Not so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...