Scott Kennedy

6 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Kennedy made some key tackles today, and Regensburg played their best game all year. What's kinda strange to me is that when Kennedy first arrived in 2. Bundesliga, people were immediately ranking him as a starter for us, but when he actually started playing (and succeeding at a way higher level than he'd ever played), we didn't seem to rate him to the same extent for some reason. Maybe because the bottom half of 2. Bundesliga isn't quite as high a level as we thought? It's still a very good league, and it's a great achievement that he broke through after such a step up, and he was fantastic in Pokal. 

I'm sure if you track down those same guys they are still sky high on Kennedy.  We still need to get him into a camp.....then you can try him out with Henry or Vitoria etc.  Still not sure if you throw him into a must win WCQ situation right off the bat though.  

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Pretty confident we will see Scott either in June or in the Gold Cup squad. He was invited earlier in the year right?

Really nice to see some options emerging in europe with he and Sturing, hopefully Halbouni back on track at Werder Bremen II.

he will be on the team in June. 

Its a bit of a shame our best two CBs right now are lefties in Miller and Kennedy. Vitoria isnt playing much but on the bright side Henry is starting again. 

Excited to see Kennedy in the squad and now get a few games to see how he fits in and what his level is.  
We have to hope one of the relative unknowns step up and become a top notch defender for us, and if possible by the second game of our June gameapalooza.  

As much as I am confident we can handle Suriname and Haiti or Nicaragua the uncertainty at CB is a concern.  Would love it if Kennedy takes the position by the horns and proves to be a stable, minimal mistake player.  Him and Doneil, or Cornelius, or Vitoria might be just what we need.

20 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Excited to see Kennedy in the squad and now get a few games to see how he fits in and what his level is.  
We have to hope one of the relative unknowns step up and become a top notch defender for us, and if possible by the second game of our June gameapalooza.  

As much as I am confident we can handle Suriname and Haiti or Nicaragua the uncertainty at CB is a concern.  Would love it if Kennedy takes the position by the horns and proves to be a stable, minimal mistake player.  Him and Doneil, or Cornelius, or Vitoria might be just what we need.

Kennedy at CB for both matches I wouldn't mind

I have previously shared how Scott had to leave Canada to further his Soccer development.  While this is the case in many Countries (and many hockey players come to Canada to develop as players due to our exceptional hockey development systems/training/coaching), I believe that Canada now has the ingredients to make important progress to improve it's development and systems for our soccer athletes.  For example:  We have world class soccer players getting a lot of media and fan attention, we have a strong woman's soccer program that has garnered attention and success, the CMNT may be the best team ever and it has a shot at qualifying for the World Cup (etc).  Canada Soccer has asked for feedback in developing a strategic plan (see below).  Submit your responses before June 15 to be counted.  This is a great initiative and with all the knowledge and passion on this website, we need to support the development of this plan.  http://www.canadasoccer.com/strategic-plan-development-survey  

STRATEGIC PLAN DEVELOPMENT SURVEY

Canada Soccer has launched a public engagement campaign to assess the priorities of the Canadian soccer public ahead of the development of its 2022-26 Strategic Plan

Submit your responses before June 15 and help Canada Soccer reach its target of at least 3,000 responses from across the range of players, coaches, referees, administrators, parents, fans, and supporters young and old.

50 minutes ago, Ian Kennedy said:

I have previously shared how Scott had to leave Canada to further his Soccer development.  While this is the case in many Countries (and many hockey players come to Canada to develop as players due to our exceptional hockey development systems/training/coaching), I believe that Canada now has the ingredients to make important progress to improve it's development and systems for our soccer athletes.  For example:  We have world class soccer players getting a lot of media and fan attention, we have a strong woman's soccer program that has garnered attention and success, the CMNT may be the best team ever and it has a shot at qualifying for the World Cup (etc).  Canada Soccer has asked for feedback in developing a strategic plan (see below).  Submit your responses before June 15 to be counted.  This is a great initiative and with all the knowledge and passion on this website, we need to support the development of this plan.  http://www.canadasoccer.com/strategic-plan-development-survey  

STRATEGIC PLAN DEVELOPMENT SURVEY

Canada Soccer has launched a public engagement campaign to assess the priorities of the Canadian soccer public ahead of the development of its 2022-26 Strategic Plan

Submit your responses before June 15 and help Canada Soccer reach its target of at least 3,000 responses from across the range of players, coaches, referees, administrators, parents, fans, and supporters young and old.

Thanks Ian, I responded a week or two ago.

My main point: the CSA and the provincial associations have to stop pandering and abetting expensive for-pay academies taking money from families and discriminating those without the economic resources to play at those prices.

This involves setting up tiered leagues, to begin with.

It should also include providing resources to help those who cannot pay to be able to play, through a grant system. The CSA and the provinces have to find a way for these resources to be there. And finally, because it may be difficult to stop an academy from charging huge sums, you have to demonstrate to parents that other clubs who are not charging as much are just as good: by having them play against each other. 

This is right now the major impediment to proper development in Canada. Alphonso Davies directly benefitted from a coach doing free soccer in Edmonton, who later channelled him into more organised play. This has to be the way for the entire country.

Anything else--the current state of affairs--constitutes a scam that is being funded publicly through support to the national and provincial SAs.

I believe we need more coaching courses available for little to no fees. These should be subsidized by the provinces and national organization. We need every volunteer to be trained in basic coaching of skills at all ages. It’s crazy how many volunteers are offered little to no support when volunteering to coach. Also, it can be challenging to find a beginner coaching course without paying $300-$400 while also driving significant distances, even in when living relatively large suburban communities.
It is no wonder most of our young players are “coached” by very kind individuals who haven’t got a clue about how to make a training session fun and effective at skill development. 

9 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

I believe we need more coaching courses available for little to no fees. These should be subsidized by the provinces and national organization. We need every volunteer to be trained in basic coaching of skills at all ages. It’s crazy how many volunteers are offered little to no support when volunteering to coach. Also, it can be challenging to find a beginner coaching course without paying $300-$400 while also driving significant distances, even in when living relatively large suburban communities.
It is no wonder most of our young players are “coached” by very kind individuals who haven’t got a clue about how to make a training session fun and effective at skill development. 

Agree with this as many volunteers in the past were parents of kids in house league that never followed or watched soccer other than the odd WC game. The best and an inexpensive resource used to be a 4/5 CD coerver coaching guide that was  a pyramid based coaching system that emphasized skill on the ball.  It was very simple and the video of  drills made it suitable for even novices to implement and follow. Still a difficult ask for volunteers with no soccer background.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:25 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

My main point: the CSA and the provincial associations have to stop pandering and abetting expensive for-pay academies taking money from families and discriminating those without the economic resources to play at those prices.

^This

For the record, I don’t put much currency into the idea that this is risky because it is his first cap.  Herdman sees these guys train and we have seen Scott perform well in high pressure situations this year.  It isn’t like we had a settled back line and the pairing had been playing together forever like a club team.  I think he will be just fine.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

For the record, I don’t put much currency into the idea that this is risky because it is his first cap.  Herdman sees these guys train and we have seen Scott perform well in high pressure situations this year.  It isn’t like we had a settled back line and the pairing had been playing together forever like a club team.  I think he will be just fine.  

I agree, I just thought it was funny. I think he's in there for tactical reasons this game, pace over Vitoria most likely? Becker's speed is an absolute weapon down the right.... I think this is our most athletic back line possible. 

4 minutes ago, BradMack said:

I agree, I just thought it was funny. I think he's in there for tactical reasons this game, pace over Vitoria most likely? Becker's speed is an absolute weapon down the right.... I think this is our most athletic back line possible. 

I think that is it.  We have guys in the back that are fast and can cover the counter which we expect will be how Suriname threatens us

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

He must be good or he wouldn't be put in this position 

I'm really hoping he comes in and stakes a claim on this spot. It could help solve a major problem for us. I feel like a lot of us have been hoping Scott could come in and do that for a couple years now... He's got his club situation sorted now, time to fit in right beside a healthy Doneil Henry and bring us to the show in 2022.